PhD application thread Fall 2023

aik257

On 1/4/2023 at 6:55 PM, AnxiousAwaiter said:

I should have known based on your username, lol.

How did the interview/conversation go? Did they give you a sense as to what the process/timing is like?

I think it went well! It ended up being with two faculty members and they asked the standard questions and some more specific ones regarding my research. I'm not sure though what their timeline is, slipped my mind to ask at the end ?

21 hours ago, magnamater said:

Does anyone know if AH programs tend to interview a lot of applicants, or just the ones they're particularly interested in? I know it varies school to school, but just in general how good of a sign is it to get an interview offer?

I don't know that all schools even do interviews. When I had my information sessions with potential POIs only some mentioned interviews.

1 minute ago, aik257 said:

I don't know that all schools even do interviews. When I had my information sessions with potential POIs only some mentioned interviews.

Huh okay thanks! I had a lengthy convo with my POI back in October that covered the same stuff I’ve been asked in interviews this month, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s not an interview for that app. 

It's probably nothing, but on ApplyWeb one of my applications' status is now marked as "complete" (not sure what it was before—maybe "submitted") as of yesterday. Everything was submitted (on time of course) back at the beginning of January. Does this indicate anything? It's the only application where any activity has been noted on ApplyWeb since submission, so I'm curious why. 

1 hour ago, magnamater said:

It's probably nothing, but on ApplyWeb one of my applications' status is now marked as "complete" (not sure what it was before—maybe "submitted") as of yesterday. Everything was submitted (on time of course) back at the beginning of January. Does this indicate anything? It's the only application where any activity has been noted on ApplyWeb since submission, so I'm curious why. 

What school was this?

2 minutes ago, opsophagos said:

I was told today by the director of graduate studies at the IFA that they will be sending out decisions mid-February!

Glad to hear this was told to someone else. I was told the same by the director of graduate studies during my interview this week.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:38 AM, ZF1763 said:

Glad to hear this was told to someone else. I was told the same by the director of graduate studies during my interview this week.

What's your field? Do you think they will send out rejections then too? I applied but was not interviewed so I guess I will probably be rejected...sucks...

22 hours ago, aik257 said:

What's your field? Do you think they will send out rejections then too? I applied but was not interviewed so I guess I will probably be rejected...sucks...

Modern/Contemporary. I'm not sure how they do their waitlist, in terms of interviewing applicants, so I'd remain hopeful. I was told of a faculty/admissions meeting to discuss applicants at the beginning of next week, but I have no idea of specifics. I was also told by a POI that just under 30 applicants from 200 were interviewed so far.