Washington, DC and Maryland suburbs

Guest c2d2

Hi:

What is the commute like from Silver Spring to AU? Should I look for somewhere closer or is it doable?

Take a look at the metro map -- the red line is a U, with Silver Spring very close to one end and Tenleytown (where you get the AU shuttle) close to the other end. That means the route you would have to take on the metro is super indirect - all the way south to come right back up again. If you want a more direct commute, look for something on the same end of the metro as Tenleytown. Bethesda would be the more convenient nearby Maryland suburb.

Take a look at the metro map -- the red line is a U, with Silver Spring very close to one end and Tenleytown (where you get the AU shuttle) close to the other end. That means the route you would have to take on the metro is super indirect - all the way south to come right back up again. If you want a more direct commute, look for something on the same end of the metro as Tenleytown. Bethesda would be the more convenient nearby Maryland suburb.

Thank you.  I'll keep looking.

Hey all! I am an incoming graduate student at UMD College Park. I'm in the market for roommates but I'm also looking for studios in NW DC (Petworth, Columbia Heights, Park View, U St Corridor, etc.)

I am wondering if I am crazy for looking at apartments in DC rather than in College Park/Silver Springs/Takoma. Those Maryland areas close to campus seem quite suburban and boring (after spending 22 years in the suburbs I am ready for some excitement.!) I'm looking to live in an area with more energy, so I'm hoping to secure a room near Columbia Heights... It's only 5 metro stops away from campus! I know there is also another bus from the metro to campus, but I think I can manage an under 20 minute commute. Also I should add, I won't have a car, so I need to be in walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, things to do, etc... Seems like the Silver Springs/Takoma areas are very residential and not great for people w/o cars.

I am just wondering if this is unusual or if other students also opt to live in DC rather than live close to campus. Everyone who posts seems to exclusively live in CP or the surrounding suburbs, so I was hoping to hear opinions about living in NW DC and commuting to campus. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Edited by MonstersU-Terp

Definitely look to live real close to the metro, and take a look at how much that metro ride will cost you every day. It can get really pricey. Also, Columbia Heights is a really expensive neighborhood.

Hey all! I am an incoming graduate student at UMD College Park. I'm in the market for roommates but I'm also looking for studios in NW DC (Petworth, Columbia Heights, Park View, U St Corridor, etc.)

I am wondering if I am crazy for looking at apartments in DC rather than in College Park/Silver Springs/Takoma. Those Maryland areas close to campus seem quite suburban and boring (after spending 22 years in the suburbs I am ready for some excitement.!) I'm looking to live in an area with more energy, so I'm hoping to secure a room near Columbia Heights... It's only 5 metro stops away from campus! I know there is also another bus from the metro to campus, but I think I can manage an under 20 minute commute. Also I should add, I won't have a car, so I need to be in walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, things to do, etc... Seems like the Silver Springs/Takoma areas are very residential and not great for people w/o cars.

I am just wondering if this is unusual or if other students also opt to live in DC rather than live close to campus. Everyone who posts seems to exclusively live in CP or the surrounding suburbs, so I was hoping to hear opinions about living in NW DC and commuting to campus. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Definitely look to live real close to the metro, and take a look at how much that metro ride will cost you every day. It can get really pricey. Also, Columbia Heights is a really expensive neighborhood.

esotericish makes a good point about the metro cost -- the farther you go, the more you pay. If you travel during peak hours (before 9:30 a.m. or 3-7 p.m.), the price is higher. If you're working and going to school, see if your employer does SmartBenefits, which could pay for your commute. Either way, get a Smarttrip card or you'll have to pay an extra $1 per trip. From Columbia Heights to College Park, you'd be paying $3.45 each way ($2.70 off-peak).

If you do want to live in Columbia Heights, consider group houses. A lot of young people share larger houses and end up paying very little (by DC standards anyway) in rent. That also means shared internet, which saves a bit of money, too. You can find these on the rooms & shares section of craigslist.

Silver Spring actually does have a walkable downtown area, but it isn't super-convenient to College Park because it's on the red line -- so you'd have to take the red line in to Fort Totten and then out to College Park. It's not super out-of-the-way, but not quite as convenient (especially if something happens on the red line, and something always seems to be happening on the red line). 

Another thing to look into is the UMD shuttle. I think it's pretty extensive, so even if you didn't live walkable to campus you may be able to get there pretty easily. I think it also goes to parts of Silver Spring, so that'd be one way to avoid the metro costs and time changing trains.

To those living in North Virginia or in the District:

Anyone here in a 1 bedroom apartment and has to pay for utilities? If so, how much do you normally pay for utilities? Does 250-300 sound about a good exact estimate? People like my mom keep saying 300, but if I'm living alone is that a feasible price range? I also know that certain seasons cause more utilities to be used more than others.Thanks a lot.

To those living in North Virginia or in the District:

Anyone here in a 1 bedroom apartment and has to pay for utilities? If so, how much do you normally pay for utilities? Does 250-300 sound about a good exact estimate? People like my mom keep saying 300, but if I'm living alone is that a feasible price range? I also know that certain seasons cause more utilities to be used more than others.Thanks a lot.

Do you count internet and cable in there?

Do you count internet and cable in there?

Yes. All utilities have to be paid for (water, AC, electricity, gas, cable/internet). Since the time I've made my previous post, I've managed to find this site (http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=Washington%2C+DC). Based on that site, I'm 'guessimating' about $50/month for cable/internet. Then perhaps about 200/month for the rest of the other utilities combined. My apartment is only 790sq ft and it will just be me alone. So, I'm assuming $250/month all together...just to be on the safe side.

I'm actually going to be only 10 minutes outside DC in Arlington if that makes a difference (which can be on the high-end side a well). Feel free to correct me if those numbers are unrealistic.

Edited by Guest

Yes. All utilities have to be paid for (water, AC, electricity, gas, cable/internet). Since the time I've made my previous post, I've managed to find this site (http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=Washington%2C+DC). Based on that site, I'm 'guessimating' about $50/month for cable/internet. Then perhaps about 200/month for the rest of the other utilities combined. My apartment is only 790sq ft and it will just be me alone. So, I'm assuming $250/month all together...just to be on the safe side.

I'm actually going to be only 10 minutes outside DC in Arlington if that makes a difference (which can be on the high-end side a well). Feel free to correct me if those numbers are unrealistic.

Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially during summer and winter. Likely to be less otherwise. I am also in NoVA 

Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially during summer and winter. Likely to be less otherwise. I am also in NoVA 

Oh cool! And thanks a lot.

On 6/30/2015 at 9:44 AM, backslash said:

Is there a good resource for finding housing, other than craigslist? Heading to GWU this fall and trying to get a sense of what's available over the next 2 months. Thanks!

GW has a really good board for this.

Padmapper is also very solid in DC. Zillow is the other resource I'd suggest.

• 1 month later...

After spending 4 days in D.C/NoVA and going through hell, I successfully found a place to live 3 hours before having to catch my flight back to my home area (16 hours away via car). I'll be catching the metrobus  from Arlington (Columbia Pike) to Pentagon City and then hopping on the blue line metrorail to get my graduate program @ GW in Foggy Bottom. I also will not have a car.

Hey OneLove21, not sure if you'll see this, but I lived on Columbia Pike and commuted to Dupont every day, and you should totally catch the 16Y if you can. It's an express bus and runs through GW, which means it runs into DC during the morning commute and back in the evening, and it tends to be faster than the metro, it's way cheaper, and you'll almost always have a seat. 

• 7 months later...

Hey guys! Anyone else planning on moving to DC for the Fall 2016 school year? I've been accepted to a doctoral program at GW and am starting to look at places to move, which neighborhoods are good, ect. Love to hear from anyone else who is as well! 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been accepted into an MA program at Georgetown and I'm trying to figure out housing, public trans, etc.  Most of these posts are from 2006 so I'm going to assume that at least some of that info isn't accurate anymore?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 5:42 PM, puyple said:

I've been accepted into an MA program at Georgetown and I'm trying to figure out housing, public trans, etc.  Most of these posts are from 2006 so I'm going to assume that at least some of that info isn't accurate anymore?

Do you have specific questions? A lot certainly has changed, but the cost of living is still absurdly high :)

On 3/14/2016 at 9:15 AM, tedwards09 said:

Hey guys! Anyone else planning on moving to DC for the Fall 2016 school year? I've been accepted to a doctoral program at GW and am starting to look at places to move, which neighborhoods are good, ect. Love to hear from anyone else who is as well! 

Where you live is going to depend almost entirely on your budget. Anything relatively close to GW is going to be a 'good' neighborhood. The places folks are scared of living/consider dangerous are outside of 'downtown' and likely not a place you'd be looking. However, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...

Sorry this is really late, but I will be starting my PhD in the fall at UMD College Park. 

I've been having a lot of trouble finding a place to my liking. Unfortunately, I will not have a car, so my options are quite limited. People have suggested Silver Spring and Takoma Park, but would these areas be feasible without a car? The metro ride seems like a trek (50+ minutes?) and expensive ($3.45 during peak hours?). Are there any other good accessible areas for a grad student? I'm aiming for a budget of about $1200 for room and board. 

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ChickenVoicesInMyHead

7 hours ago, ChickenVoicesInMyHead said:

Sorry this is really late, but I will be starting my PhD in the fall at UMD College Park. 

I've been having a lot of trouble finding a place to my liking. Unfortunately, I will not have a car, so my options are quite limited. People have suggested Silver Spring and Takoma Park, but would these areas be feasible without a car? The metro ride seems like a trek (50+ minutes?) and expensive ($3.45 during peak hours?). Are there any other good accessible areas for a grad student? I'm aiming for a budget of about $1200 for room and board. 

Try the University View on Baltimore Ave. It's really nice, approx 1000 a month, and right next door to campus.

On July 18, 2016 at 9:55 PM, ChickenVoicesInMyHead said:

Hi ChickenVoices,

I grew up in DC and did my undergrad at UMD College Park. I moved to Takoma Park (MD side) and commuted to school everyday via the UMD Shuttle 111. (Shuttle 111 is from Silver Spring metro, through Takoma Park, Langley Park, and the campus. Here is the summer schedule and a map, it obviously runs more often during the fall/spring semesters: http://www.dots.umd.edu/shuttle/schedules/summer/111.pdf ). They have a phone app which gives you detailed arrival times, and the front of their buses allow for you to bring a bike as well. Best of all it is free with your UMD ID. My living situation was totally do-able and much less hectic than living on campus or in College Park. There are also RideOn buses which are operated by Montgomery County, which connect riders to metro buses and the train if need be. Many of the neighborhoods around UMD aren't that safe or they have terrible sprawl and thus less than effective public transportation. I think Silver Spring and Takoma Park are your best bets if you don't want to live in the College Park neighborhood.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:39 PM, trewq said:

Hi ChickenVoices,

I grew up in DC and did my undergrad at UMD College Park. I moved to Takoma Park (MD side) and commuted to school everyday via the UMD Shuttle 111. (Shuttle 111 is from Silver Spring metro, through Takoma Park, Langley Park, and the campus. Here is the summer schedule and a map, it obviously runs more often during the fall/spring semesters: http://www.dots.umd.edu/shuttle/schedules/summer/111.pdf ). They have a phone app which gives you detailed arrival times, and the front of their buses allow for you to bring a bike as well. Best of all it is free with your UMD ID. My living situation was totally do-able and much less hectic than living on campus or in College Park. There are also RideOn buses which are operated by Montgomery County, which connect riders to metro buses and the train if need be. Many of the neighborhoods around UMD aren't that safe or they have terrible sprawl and thus less than effective public transportation. I think Silver Spring and Takoma Park are your best bets if you don't want to live in the College Park neighborhood.

Thank you so much! Do you remember approximately how long the commute was by shuttle? Google Maps unfortunately does not map the UM shuttle.

I figure I can try getting a monthly pass and transfer from the red line but that will still be about an hour. 

On 7/19/2016 at 4:34 AM, MastersHoping said:

Try the University View on Baltimore Ave. It's really nice, approx 1000 a month, and right next door to campus.

Thanks for the suggestion! However, I've been told to steer clear of the expensive apartment complexes on campus. Bad management and full of partying undergrads. 

On 7/18/2016 at 9:55 PM, ChickenVoicesInMyHead said:

At that price point and the desire to be close to/transit accessible to campus, you're really going to want to look into a shared apartment. I know you said "room and board," but I'm hoping you don't expect 1200 to include some sort of meal plan (pretty rare unless you're an undergrad living on campus anyway). I'd look on craigslist and whatever board Maryland has for shared apartments with other graduate students close to campus.

On 7/27/2016 at 9:33 AM, soc13 said:

At that price point and the desire to be close to/transit accessible to campus, you're really going to want to look into a shared apartment. I know you said "room and board," but I'm hoping you don't expect 1200 to include some sort of meal plan (pretty rare unless you're an undergrad living on campus anyway). I'd look on craigslist and whatever board Maryland has for shared apartments with other graduate students close to campus.

Thanks! Sorry, I am still stuck on my freshman vocab. By "room and board", I meant rent fee and monthly groceries. 

• 6 months later...