Guest c2d2

Washington, DC and Maryland suburbs

Hi DC folks,

I wonder if anyone has better and cheaper options than taxi for transportation from Dulles Airport to George Washington Univ/Washington circle area? Is Super Shuttle reliable? I read this trip advisor page and it seems it's not good. Looking for advice! Thanks.

Yeah, unfortunately there is not a good way to do this. The only public transportation option involves taking a pretty long bus ride from Dulles to Rosslyn, and then hopping on the metro from Rosslyn to Foggy Bottom. Whenever I fly out of Dulles these days I just incorporate the cost of an Uber into the cost of the trip.

It may be too late for the OP here, but there are definitely good options from Dulles to GW. You can take a shuttle from Dulles to the last stop on the silver line. It runs regularly, is totally reliable, takes only about 10-15 minutes to the metro, and costs $5. Then you can take the silver line all the way into Foggy Bottom (about 30-40 minutes on the metro -- first stop in DC).

Shuttle: http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

Metro: www.wmata.com

Yeah, unfortunately there is not a good way to do this. The only public transportation option involves taking a pretty long bus ride from Dulles to Rosslyn, and then hopping on the metro from Rosslyn to Foggy Bottom. Whenever I fly out of Dulles these days I just incorporate the cost of an Uber into the cost of the trip.

It may be too late for the OP here, but there are definitely good options from Dulles to GW. You can take a shuttle from Dulles to the last stop on the silver line. It runs regularly, is totally reliable, takes only about 10-15 minutes to the metro, and costs $5. Then you can take the silver line all the way into Foggy Bottom (about 30-40 minutes on the metro -- first stop in DC).

Shuttle: http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

Metro: www.wmata.com

Thanks all for the infos!

How is commuting from Oakton to Georgetown?

Anyone have an idea on how much it will cost daily (metro+parking)? 

How is commuting from Oakton to Georgetown?

Anyone have an idea on how much it will cost daily (metro+parking)? 

If you have to drive, don't do it. Really. Not sure how much parking is, but metro during rush hour would probably be around $7 round trip.

After spending 4 days in D.C/NoVA and going through hell, I successfully found a place to live 3 hours before having to catch my flight back to my home area (16 hours away via car). I'll be catching the metrobus  from Arlington (Columbia Pike) to Pentagon City and then hopping on the blue line metrorail to get my graduate program @ GW in Foggy Bottom. I also will not have a car.

Edited by Guest

After spending 4 days in D.C/NoVA and going through hell, I successfully found a place to live 3 hours before having to catch my flight back to my home area (16 hours away via car). I'll be catching the metrobus  from Arlington (Columbia Pike) to Pentagon City and then hopping on the blue line metrorail to get my graduate program @ GW in Foggy Bottom. I also will not have a car.

welcome to DC ;)

Hi:

What is the commute like from Silver Spring to AU? Should I look for somewhere closer or is it doable?

Take a look at the metro map -- the red line is a U, with Silver Spring very close to one end and Tenleytown (where you get the AU shuttle) close to the other end. That means the route you would have to take on the metro is super indirect - all the way south to come right back up again. If you want a more direct commute, look for something on the same end of the metro as Tenleytown. Bethesda would be the more convenient nearby Maryland suburb.

Take a look at the metro map -- the red line is a U, with Silver Spring very close to one end and Tenleytown (where you get the AU shuttle) close to the other end. That means the route you would have to take on the metro is super indirect - all the way south to come right back up again. If you want a more direct commute, look for something on the same end of the metro as Tenleytown. Bethesda would be the more convenient nearby Maryland suburb.

Thank you.  I'll keep looking.

Hey all! I am an incoming graduate student at UMD College Park. I'm in the market for roommates but I'm also looking for studios in NW DC (Petworth, Columbia Heights, Park View, U St Corridor, etc.)

I am wondering if I am crazy for looking at apartments in DC rather than in College Park/Silver Springs/Takoma. Those Maryland areas close to campus seem quite suburban and boring (after spending 22 years in the suburbs I am ready for some excitement.!) I'm looking to live in an area with more energy, so I'm hoping to secure a room near Columbia Heights... It's only 5 metro stops away from campus! I know there is also another bus from the metro to campus, but I think I can manage an under 20 minute commute. Also I should add, I won't have a car, so I need to be in walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, things to do, etc... Seems like the Silver Springs/Takoma areas are very residential and not great for people w/o cars.

I am just wondering if this is unusual or if other students also opt to live in DC rather than live close to campus. Everyone who posts seems to exclusively live in CP or the surrounding suburbs, so I was hoping to hear opinions about living in NW DC and commuting to campus. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Edited by MonstersU-Terp

Definitely look to live real close to the metro, and take a look at how much that metro ride will cost you every day. It can get really pricey. Also, Columbia Heights is a really expensive neighborhood.

Hey all! I am an incoming graduate student at UMD College Park. I'm in the market for roommates but I'm also looking for studios in NW DC (Petworth, Columbia Heights, Park View, U St Corridor, etc.)

I am wondering if I am crazy for looking at apartments in DC rather than in College Park/Silver Springs/Takoma. Those Maryland areas close to campus seem quite suburban and boring (after spending 22 years in the suburbs I am ready for some excitement.!) I'm looking to live in an area with more energy, so I'm hoping to secure a room near Columbia Heights... It's only 5 metro stops away from campus! I know there is also another bus from the metro to campus, but I think I can manage an under 20 minute commute. Also I should add, I won't have a car, so I need to be in walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, things to do, etc... Seems like the Silver Springs/Takoma areas are very residential and not great for people w/o cars.

I am just wondering if this is unusual or if other students also opt to live in DC rather than live close to campus. Everyone who posts seems to exclusively live in CP or the surrounding suburbs, so I was hoping to hear opinions about living in NW DC and commuting to campus. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Definitely look to live real close to the metro, and take a look at how much that metro ride will cost you every day. It can get really pricey. Also, Columbia Heights is a really expensive neighborhood.

esotericish makes a good point about the metro cost -- the farther you go, the more you pay. If you travel during peak hours (before 9:30 a.m. or 3-7 p.m.), the price is higher. If you're working and going to school, see if your employer does SmartBenefits, which could pay for your commute. Either way, get a Smarttrip card or you'll have to pay an extra $1 per trip. From Columbia Heights to College Park, you'd be paying $3.45 each way ($2.70 off-peak).

If you do want to live in Columbia Heights, consider group houses. A lot of young people share larger houses and end up paying very little (by DC standards anyway) in rent. That also means shared internet, which saves a bit of money, too. You can find these on the rooms & shares section of craigslist.

Silver Spring actually does have a walkable downtown area, but it isn't super-convenient to College Park because it's on the red line -- so you'd have to take the red line in to Fort Totten and then out to College Park. It's not super out-of-the-way, but not quite as convenient (especially if something happens on the red line, and something always seems to be happening on the red line). 

Another thing to look into is the UMD shuttle. I think it's pretty extensive, so even if you didn't live walkable to campus you may be able to get there pretty easily. I think it also goes to parts of Silver Spring, so that'd be one way to avoid the metro costs and time changing trains.

To those living in North Virginia or in the District:

Anyone here in a 1 bedroom apartment and has to pay for utilities? If so, how much do you normally pay for utilities? Does 250-300 sound about a good exact estimate? People like my mom keep saying 300, but if I'm living alone is that a feasible price range? I also know that certain seasons cause more utilities to be used more than others.Thanks a lot.

To those living in North Virginia or in the District:

Anyone here in a 1 bedroom apartment and has to pay for utilities? If so, how much do you normally pay for utilities? Does 250-300 sound about a good exact estimate? People like my mom keep saying 300, but if I'm living alone is that a feasible price range? I also know that certain seasons cause more utilities to be used more than others.Thanks a lot.

Do you count internet and cable in there?

Do you count internet and cable in there?

Yes. All utilities have to be paid for (water, AC, electricity, gas, cable/internet). Since the time I've made my previous post, I've managed to find this site (http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=Washington%2C+DC). Based on that site, I'm 'guessimating' about $50/month for cable/internet. Then perhaps about 200/month for the rest of the other utilities combined. My apartment is only 790sq ft and it will just be me alone. So, I'm assuming $250/month all together...just to be on the safe side.

I'm actually going to be only 10 minutes outside DC in Arlington if that makes a difference (which can be on the high-end side a well). Feel free to correct me if those numbers are unrealistic.

Edited by Guest

Yes. All utilities have to be paid for (water, AC, electricity, gas, cable/internet). Since the time I've made my previous post, I've managed to find this site (http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=Washington%2C+DC). Based on that site, I'm 'guessimating' about $50/month for cable/internet. Then perhaps about 200/month for the rest of the other utilities combined. My apartment is only 790sq ft and it will just be me alone. So, I'm assuming $250/month all together...just to be on the safe side.

I'm actually going to be only 10 minutes outside DC in Arlington if that makes a difference (which can be on the high-end side a well). Feel free to correct me if those numbers are unrealistic.

Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially during summer and winter. Likely to be less otherwise. I am also in NoVA 

Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially during summer and winter. Likely to be less otherwise. I am also in NoVA 

Oh cool! And thanks a lot.

Is there a good resource for finding housing, other than craigslist? Heading to GWU this fall and trying to get a sense of what's available over the next 2 months. Thanks!

On 6/30/2015 at 9:44 AM, backslash said:

Is there a good resource for finding housing, other than craigslist? Heading to GWU this fall and trying to get a sense of what's available over the next 2 months. Thanks!

GW has a really good board for this.

Padmapper is also very solid in DC. Zillow is the other resource I'd suggest.

Hey OneLove21, not sure if you'll see this, but I lived on Columbia Pike and commuted to Dupont every day, and you should totally catch the 16Y if you can. It's an express bus and runs through GW, which means it runs into DC during the morning commute and back in the evening, and it tends to be faster than the metro, it's way cheaper, and you'll almost always have a seat.