• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Environmental Management and Policy 2023

solarpunk

Hi folks, new here but saw there was a topic on this for the last cycle and figured we could all use a support group/prayer circle.

I'm on the application grind currently. Looking at Duke MEM (and MPP), UMich SEAS (and MPP), CU Boulder MENV, CU Denver MPP, UW MPA, and UVA MPP and hoping I can actually afford to attend any of them. 

Let us all hope and worry and agonize and commiserate together until those fateful days in March, or whenever the weight is lifted from our shoulders and we're accepted into our dream programs with as much financial aid as possible.

Hey, I'm also looking to study environmental policy. I started preparing back in February but I'm still nervous about the strength of my overall profile. I applied to UChicago Harris, UCSD GPS, Denver Korbel, and University of lIllinois-Chicago (all MPP programs). I just got waitlisted from Harris which I think kills my chances of attending there since it basically guarantees no funding if I even get accepted, so that hurts since it was my dream school.

Since getting that decision I think I'm going to throw out more applications, as I'm getting increasingly worried of more waitlist/rejection decisions. I'm looking at Georgia State, Texas A&M Bush, and CU Denver now that you mention it. Any schools I apply to have to have some sort of environmental policy concentration and no GRE requirement.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, solarpunk said:

Hi folks, new here but saw there was a topic on this for the last cycle and figured we could all use a support group/prayer circle.

I'm on the application grind currently. Looking at Duke MEM (and MPP), UMich SEAS (and MPP), CU Boulder MENV, CU Denver MPP, UW MPA, and UVA MPP and hoping I can actually afford to attend any of them. 

Let us all hope and worry and agonize and commiserate together until those fateful days in March, or whenever the weight is lifted from our shoulders and we're accepted into our dream programs with as much financial aid as possible.

Quick Q; why not YSE?

10 minutes ago, Boolakanaka said:

Quick Q; why not YSE?

I suppose it wouldn't necessarily hurt to put an application in there. I just truly don't think I can afford it (though really the same could be said about UW) and other programs have better financial aid incentives for AmeriCorps alumni. Duke, for instance, gives so much to AmeriCorps alums that it goes from way too expensive to actually quite affordable as grad schools go. Also my undergrad GPA is lower than their average of 3.7 (I'm working with 3.55), which I know isn't an immediate rejection but it does put a damper on things. And after the admissions scandal and given their well-established "elite" status, I have a hard time believing they would consider my application as a low-income student on the same grounds as someone born into significant means. Maybe I'm just jaded but it takes the wind out of one's sails.

Would you happen to know what YSE's financial aid is like?

55 minutes ago, IndominusTaco said:

Hey, I'm also looking to study environmental policy. I started preparing back in February but I'm still nervous about the strength of my overall profile. I applied to UChicago Harris, UCSD GPS, Denver Korbel, and University of lIllinois-Chicago (all MPP programs). I just got waitlisted from Harris which I think kills my chances of attending there since it basically guarantees no funding if I even get accepted, so that hurts since it was my dream school.

Since getting that decision I think I'm going to throw out more applications, as I'm getting increasingly worried of more waitlist/rejection decisions. I'm looking at Georgia State, Texas A&M Bush, and CU Denver now that you mention it. Any schools I apply to have to have some sort of environmental policy concentration and no GRE requirement.

Sorry to hear about Harris, but hold fast for those other options as every program is different. 

And everyone's personal situation is different, but if this cycle doesn't work out, you can always try again next cycle. That's what's keeping me from fully falling into that nervous pit.

37 minutes ago, solarpunk said:

I suppose it wouldn't necessarily hurt to put an application in there. I just truly don't think I can afford it (though really the same could be said about UW) and other programs have better financial aid incentives for AmeriCorps alumni. Duke, for instance, gives so much to AmeriCorps alums that it goes from way too expensive to actually quite affordable as grad schools go. Also my undergrad GPA is lower than their average of 3.7 (I'm working with 3.55), which I know isn't an immediate rejection but it does put a damper on things. And after the admissions scandal and given their well-established "elite" status, I have a hard time believing they would consider my application as a low-income student on the same grounds as someone born into significant means. Maybe I'm just jaded but it takes the wind out of one's sails.

Would you happen to know what YSE's financial aid is like?

Sorry to hear about Harris, but hold fast for those other options as every program is different. 

And everyone's personal situation is different, but if this cycle doesn't work out, you can always try again next cycle. That's what's keeping me from fully falling into that nervous pit.

YSE has probably the most generous aid packages and resources  of the top environmental graduate schools, outside if you were a state resident at a state school, e.g. UCSB.

• 3 weeks later...