Environmental Management and Policy 2023

solarpunk

Hi folks, new here but saw there was a topic on this for the last cycle and figured we could all use a support group/prayer circle.

I'm on the application grind currently. Looking at Duke MEM (and MPP), UMich SEAS (and MPP), CU Boulder MENV, CU Denver MPP, UW MPA, and UVA MPP and hoping I can actually afford to attend any of them. 

Let us all hope and worry and agonize and commiserate together until those fateful days in March, or whenever the weight is lifted from our shoulders and we're accepted into our dream programs with as much financial aid as possible.

Hey, I'm also looking to study environmental policy. I started preparing back in February but I'm still nervous about the strength of my overall profile. I applied to UChicago Harris, UCSD GPS, Denver Korbel, and University of lIllinois-Chicago (all MPP programs). I just got waitlisted from Harris which I think kills my chances of attending there since it basically guarantees no funding if I even get accepted, so that hurts since it was my dream school.

Since getting that decision I think I'm going to throw out more applications, as I'm getting increasingly worried of more waitlist/rejection decisions. I'm looking at Georgia State, Texas A&M Bush, and CU Denver now that you mention it. Any schools I apply to have to have some sort of environmental policy concentration and no GRE requirement.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, solarpunk said:

Hi folks, new here but saw there was a topic on this for the last cycle and figured we could all use a support group/prayer circle.

I'm on the application grind currently. Looking at Duke MEM (and MPP), UMich SEAS (and MPP), CU Boulder MENV, CU Denver MPP, UW MPA, and UVA MPP and hoping I can actually afford to attend any of them. 

Let us all hope and worry and agonize and commiserate together until those fateful days in March, or whenever the weight is lifted from our shoulders and we're accepted into our dream programs with as much financial aid as possible.

Quick Q; why not YSE?

10 minutes ago, Boolakanaka said:

Quick Q; why not YSE?

I suppose it wouldn't necessarily hurt to put an application in there. I just truly don't think I can afford it (though really the same could be said about UW) and other programs have better financial aid incentives for AmeriCorps alumni. Duke, for instance, gives so much to AmeriCorps alums that it goes from way too expensive to actually quite affordable as grad schools go. Also my undergrad GPA is lower than their average of 3.7 (I'm working with 3.55), which I know isn't an immediate rejection but it does put a damper on things. And after the admissions scandal and given their well-established "elite" status, I have a hard time believing they would consider my application as a low-income student on the same grounds as someone born into significant means. Maybe I'm just jaded but it takes the wind out of one's sails.

Would you happen to know what YSE's financial aid is like?

55 minutes ago, IndominusTaco said:

Hey, I'm also looking to study environmental policy. I started preparing back in February but I'm still nervous about the strength of my overall profile. I applied to UChicago Harris, UCSD GPS, Denver Korbel, and University of lIllinois-Chicago (all MPP programs). I just got waitlisted from Harris which I think kills my chances of attending there since it basically guarantees no funding if I even get accepted, so that hurts since it was my dream school.

Since getting that decision I think I'm going to throw out more applications, as I'm getting increasingly worried of more waitlist/rejection decisions. I'm looking at Georgia State, Texas A&M Bush, and CU Denver now that you mention it. Any schools I apply to have to have some sort of environmental policy concentration and no GRE requirement.

Sorry to hear about Harris, but hold fast for those other options as every program is different. 

And everyone's personal situation is different, but if this cycle doesn't work out, you can always try again next cycle. That's what's keeping me from fully falling into that nervous pit.

37 minutes ago, solarpunk said:

I suppose it wouldn't necessarily hurt to put an application in there. I just truly don't think I can afford it (though really the same could be said about UW) and other programs have better financial aid incentives for AmeriCorps alumni. Duke, for instance, gives so much to AmeriCorps alums that it goes from way too expensive to actually quite affordable as grad schools go. Also my undergrad GPA is lower than their average of 3.7 (I'm working with 3.55), which I know isn't an immediate rejection but it does put a damper on things. And after the admissions scandal and given their well-established "elite" status, I have a hard time believing they would consider my application as a low-income student on the same grounds as someone born into significant means. Maybe I'm just jaded but it takes the wind out of one's sails.

Would you happen to know what YSE's financial aid is like?

Sorry to hear about Harris, but hold fast for those other options as every program is different. 

And everyone's personal situation is different, but if this cycle doesn't work out, you can always try again next cycle. That's what's keeping me from fully falling into that nervous pit.

YSE has probably the most generous aid packages and resources  of the top environmental graduate schools, outside if you were a state resident at a state school, e.g. UCSB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks, update time because we're headed into the heart of decision season.

Currently I've been accepted into SEAS and Boulder, though no financial aid info was attached to either. Looking at previous threads it seems that for SEAS, merit scholarships come with that initial email, but other funding info (work study, need-based, etc.) will be sent out in the coming weeks. Hope that reassures folks like me who didn't receive a merit scholarship.

For Boulder it seems they don't contact you about financial aid until after admission, so hopefully more info on that will be released soon.

Still holding out hope for Duke. It's my top choice, along with being slightly less expensive than SEAS and already going to provide substantial aid to me as an AmeriCorps alumni. It would really seal the deal I think. I'd be happy to go to SEAS or Boulder but this isn't the sort of field I feel comfortable going six figures into debt for.

Edited by solarpunk

Might as well continue with getting the ball rolling – I'm also waiting on Yale MEM, UCSB Bren, Hopkins, Imperial College, and Northeastern. Currently I've been accepted into University of Washington MMA, Columbia SIPA MPA-ESP, Tufts, and ASU. Good luck to everyone with this decision cycle!

14 hours ago, elderflower35 said:

Might as well continue with getting the ball rolling – I'm also waiting on Yale MEM, UCSB Bren, Hopkins, Imperial College, and Northeastern. Currently I've been accepted into University of Washington MMA, Columbia SIPA MPA-ESP, Tufts, and ASU. Good luck to everyone with this decision cycle!

Good luck all applying to YSE, maybe you will be in my class next year---wink!!

Thanks for making this! 

I applied to the Yale MEM, Columbia SIPA MIA in the Energy and Environment concentration, and Columbia SPS Sustainability Management programs. 

The wait is killing me! I keep checking for any updates😭

Hoping we hear soon! 

Edited by boogieman11

hola a todos, so happy there's a forum for this! Was hoping you could help me with some questions from the programs I've been admitted to

• UMich SEAS (SusDev) w/ 15K merit scholarship -> is anyone appealing financial aid for SEAS? have you gotten an additional email on financial aid outside of merit-based?
  • Duke NSOE (waiting for financial aid info) -> anyone have any idea how generous they are?
  • Denver Korbel (Global Environmental Sustainability), by far the best financially and am also on the waitlist for the full tuition fellowship -> I barely found info on the quality of this program online, anyone know how good it is? 

Was also waitlisted at YSE and am waiting on Oxford's Msc in Sustainability, Enterprise & the Environment

Best of luck to you all! 

Hello! 

I wanted to know if anyone had any perspective on choosing between Duke MEM and Columbia Sustainability Management. I have a background in tech and am looking to pivot into sustainability consulting or corporate sustainability. 

11 hours ago, Frenchtoast said:

Has anybody here applied to UCSB Bren? / Heard anything back?

Hi there! I was admitted on 03/10 (the letter said 02/28 though) but with no funding, so probable I'll have to pass...

What other options do you have?

Oh congrats! Dang ok… not great then that my portal still says nothing. I really don’t like how they seem to do this staggered admits/rejections, I wonder if there is a reason for that. Not really any other options, currently on the waitlist at Duke. I would be coming fresh out of undergrad which I know some programs don’t love, so I think I’ll maybe try and get some work expirence and then wait and re-apply if I choose!