2023 Application Thread for Communications Program PhD

14 minutes ago, infoandcommphd said:

Hi folks! I just finished an interview with Cornell (also applied to UCSB, UCSD and UPenn and haven't heard back yet from any of them ugh). Absolute bundle of nerves and I'm quite sure I botched the interview, but timeline-wise, I learned that the faculty have until the end of this week/early next to conduct interviews, and they'll be sending out a first round of decisions by later next week. I think I know what decision I'm going to get (screams) but hopefully yall have better luck!!

Yeah, they also told me that decisions will most likely come out next week. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, lalalalalala123 said:

anyone applied for UWM-mass communication? they don't guarantee funding. Im really surprised cus its such a good program.

I was on the fence about UC Davis Cultural Studies and chose not to apply for this reason (as well as not feeling confident about supervisor fit). I don't want stress about funding on top of everything else. Crossing my fingers that you get accepted with a good funding package though!

Looking at UMich's doctoral program stats, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like there were no new students last year in Comm?

In the image I've attached, they have the selectivity (which, if I understand correctly, is how many students they admitted) listed as 6% of applicants. This makes sense to me and is on track with what I've heard from similar programs. However, the yield (which I assume is the number of students who started the program) is at 0%. This doesn't make any sense to me. Am I misunderstanding or am I reading this right? Maybe the data has not been updated or was reported wrong?

Anyways, if it is true, maybe it'll be good news for us because they'll have more spots ?

Screenshot 2023-01-25 212936.png

35 minutes ago, k8coms said:

Looking at UMich's doctoral program stats, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like there were no new students last year in Comm?

In the image I've attached, they have the selectivity (which, if I understand correctly, is how many students they admitted) listed as 6% of applicants. This makes sense to me and is on track with what I've heard from similar programs. However, the yield (which I assume is the number of students who started the program) is at 0%. This doesn't make any sense to me. Am I misunderstanding or am I reading this right? Maybe the data has not been updated or was reported wrong?

Anyways, if it is true, maybe it'll be good news for us because they'll have more spots ?

Screenshot 2023-01-25 212936.png

Woah, this is really interesting! I haven't looked at the data since they updated it with 2022's information. There is a possibility it's a fluke, but if you look at the enrollment section next to the admissions one, the current enrollment is listed at 23 compared to 30 in 2021 (I counted using the 23 US + 7 INTL numbers). Also under "milestones" it looks like 5 degrees were handed out. 2 people dropping out of the program doesn't seem impossible, unfortunately. Regardless, if this is all true, a 0% yield seems wild and could prove for an unconventional year. 

5 hours ago, k8coms said:

我对加州大学戴维斯分校的文化研究持观望态度,并选择不申请这个原因(以及对导师的适合度没有信心)。我不想在其他一切之上强调资金。祈祷你能以良好的资助计划被录取!

I got the offer from UW madison-mass communication. No funding information yet. But they said they dont guarantee funding. I prob will reject if they dont offer funding. To me its important to concentrate on the research instead of keeping worried about  funding.

Hi! I don't think that the stats for the UMich comms program are accurate, I applied to the film, television, and media program at UMich and it also shows a 0% yield for last year on tableau. I don't think they've updated the stats correctly.

Good luck to you all! Hope we hear back from our respective programs asap. :s

Just had a wonderful chat with a current student at UCSD (not an interview or anything, I asked the department if a student would be willing to talk to me because I had questions about the program and campus)!

She said based on what she's seen, it'll probably be a few more weeks before we hear anything. She also confirmed that there's a visit day for accepted students, which should be in person this year (it's been virtual the past few years). Just wanted to pass this info along! 

Another quick update -- sent a thank you to the student services advisor and she said she'd "be in touch in the coming weeks regarding admissions". Vague answer but thought I'd pass it along as well!

Hey! I applied to a handful of PhD programs in Comm this year. My focus is rhetoric. So far I've been accepted to U of Illinois (UIUC) and U of Minnesota. Waiting to hear back from 2 more. Seems like the hearing back process takes a hot minute for some schools. Best of luck to the rest of you guys!

@k8coms Thanks for the UCSD update! I have also been hearing that UCs system-wide are... having some problems re: grad admissions following the end of the recent strike. I wouldn't be surprised if that pushed things back for depts across the board, unfortunately. 

I also saw the UMich acceptance. Congrats to whoever that is! Nothing in my inbox/portal either ?

Just wanted to ask you folks something about the U Mich app. Does everyone's application status page look like this, with no actual listed status? Other schools I've applied to have something like "submitted", "under review", or "pending" listed, but I don't see anything here. Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-01-28 000313.png