2023 Application Thread for Communications Program PhD

On 2/14/2023 at 8:51 PM, surething818 said:

me being an international student as well. Did they tell you virtual participation was possible? I asked and they told me there will only be in person event this year…

you remind me of this. Since we can't join virtually, we should contact POI faculty members to arrange zoom meetings & talk to grad students. I haven't talked to many students there but I am scheduling this. Good luck!

8 hours ago, ruirine said:

Hi guys~ has anyone heard from York University(the Communication& Culture joint program with Ryerson Univerity)? I saw someone's post on the result page, but my status on MyFile still shows "No Decision Yet" .

that was me! myfile said admitted on monday and i got an email on tuesday. crossing my fingers for you!

7 hours ago, DowlCoop said:

you remind me of this. Since we can't join virtually, we should contact POI faculty members to arrange zoom meetings & talk to grad students. I haven't talked to many students there but I am scheduling this. Good luck!

I'm doing this too! Have you decided to accept the offer? We may become classmates in the fall semester. Good luck to you as well!

On 1/25/2023 at 7:06 PM, infoandcommphd said:

Hi folks! I just finished an interview with Cornell (also applied to UCSB, UCSD and UPenn and haven't heard back yet from any of them ugh). Absolute bundle of nerves and I'm quite sure I botched the interview, but timeline-wise, I learned that the faculty have until the end of this week/early next to conduct interviews, and they'll be sending out a first round of decisions by later next week. I think I know what decision I'm going to get (screams) but hopefully yall have better luck!!

Hey, just something to cheer you up: UPenn sent a bunch of rejections a week ago (including mine), so if you didn’t get one yet, I’d say they might still be considering you for the spot. Or at the very least holding you as backup to their first acceptances.

On 2/9/2023 at 10:35 PM, DL3 said:

Any idea when we may hear from USC or UPenn? Those are the last schools I need to hear from and the wait is killing me lol 

Seems like USC is behind on their decisions. Promised early February but here we are. It is my top choice and I thought it’ll be my first letter too. But I already got two rejections (UPenn and Stanford). I feel like if I don’t get into USC, it’s unlikely I’ll get into others (Syracuse and NYU), as USC was the best fit for my topic.

I have started checking my application portals like twice a day. Which is very dumb, since I’m like half a day ahead of the US, so all my decisions will be coming at night for me anyway. Also the reason I’m getting restless sleep and checking emails when I wake up at night, haha.

Seems like there aren’t many people here who have applied to the same programs as me. So I had a question for you all. Did you all apply to fully-funded programs only, or did you consider others too?

I had to pick top unis because of the funding. Maybe next year I’ll consider more of them. Any recommendations on good universities with a fully funded PhD program?

13 hours ago, Jade_S said:

I have started checking my application portals like twice a day. Which is very dumb, since I’m like half a day ahead of the US, so all my decisions will be coming at night for me anyway. Also the reason I’m getting restless sleep and checking emails when I wake up at night, haha.

Seems like there aren’t many people here who have applied to the same programs as me. So I had a question for you all. Did you all apply to fully-funded programs only, or did you consider others too?

I had to pick top unis because of the funding. Maybe next year I’ll consider more of them. Any recommendations on good universities with a fully funded PhD program?

I applied to all fully funded programs! In the US, I applied to UCSD and U of Michigan. I will say also that non-funded PhD programs are pretty unheard of in Canada, so you might have a better bet applying to schools from here! I'm from Canada and am happy to give guidance :)

9 hours ago, k8coms said:

I applied to all fully funded programs! In the US, I applied to UCSD and U of Michigan. I will say also that non-funded PhD programs are pretty unheard of in Canada, so you might have a better bet applying to schools from here! I'm from Canada and am happy to give guidance :)

Thank you for offering help! If I do not get accepted this year, I will try again next year or maybe in 2024, and will have a look at Canada too. Wish I found Grad Cafe during application process and not now, haha.

Anyone here heard from UCSD? I'm in a bit of a tricky situation where another program wants me to make a choice quickly but UCSD is my top choice right now... Wondering if I should assume if I haven't heard at this point I'm rejected

On 2/17/2023 at 11:36 AM, shadesofblue said:

Can anyone claim the UCSD acceptance? There's only the one so I'm super confused/nervous ? 

Hi, claiming the UCSD acceptance....! 

I was notified on the 17th, so it's been a couple days since then. 

10 minutes ago, noranja said:

Hi, claiming the UCSD acceptance....! 

I was notified on the 17th, so it's been a couple days since then. 

congrats! that's awesome!

did they say anything about whether all acceptances had gone out already or the size of the cohort this year?

9 minutes ago, k8coms said:

congrats! that's awesome!

did they say anything about whether all acceptances had gone out already or the size of the cohort this year?

Thank you! 

They didn't explicitly state that all acceptances had gone out/size of cohort, but they mentioned that there would be a recruitment open house that the cohort is invited to with wording that implied that the other folks had been accepted. 

Edited by noranja

1 minute ago, noranja said:

Thank you! 

They didn't explicitly state that all acceptances had gone out/size of cohort, but they mentioned that there would be a recruitment open house that the cohort is invited to with the wording that the other folks had been accepted. 

Thanks for the info! Congrats again!

19 hours ago, k8coms said:

Anyone here heard from UCSD? I'm in a bit of a tricky situation where another program wants me to make a choice quickly but UCSD is my top choice right now... Wondering if I should assume if I haven't heard at this point I'm rejected

I think at this point it is safe to contact them directly, maybe even make a call and be honest about your situation. They will not hurt your chances of going to another university by holding out on the answer. Either you will be rejected and know for sure you can accept the other offer, or you might get an acceptance on the spot (I think I read in some places where this happened upon contacting the program). Good luck!