Fall 2023 PhD Applicant Thread

cuppaon

This thread is awfully quiet. Is anyone still experiencing radio silence from their programs? I'm going on fifteen weeks with no communication from UCR. Deciding whether or not I want to reach out to them at this point. It's nearly April with no updates.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, DrMutt said:

This thread is awfully quiet. Is anyone still experiencing radio silence from their programs? I'm going on fifteen weeks with no communication from UCR. Deciding whether or not I want to reach out to them at this point. It's nearly April with no updates.

Finally got my rejection from UCLA so I have heard from everywhere now. This is what I have:

rejections: UCLA, Irvine, UCSD, Stanford

admitted: UCSB

unofficially accepted but then waitlisted:  Berkeley 

based on conversations with UC’s, many of them used grad student strikes as an excuse for this process taking longer than normal. I guess it affected the funding they have to offer, which in some cases also meant they had to accept less students than they originally planned. 

would love to hear anyone else’s final status and decisions!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 6:45 AM, msjen said:

Finally got my rejection from UCLA so I have heard from everywhere now. This is what I have:

rejections: UCLA, Irvine, UCSD, Stanford

admitted: UCSB

unofficially accepted but then waitlisted:  Berkeley 

based on conversations with UC’s, many of them used grad student strikes as an excuse for this process taking longer than normal. I guess it affected the funding they have to offer, which in some cases also meant they had to accept less students than they originally planned. 

would love to hear anyone else’s final status and decisions!

Glad your wait -- and corresponding anxiety -- is over for the cycle! Congratulations on your admit and waitlist. I am STILL waiting for UCR. I sent an email to the graduate coordinator and was told that they are anticipating decisions to be released from "now through May" -- wow! I have applied to UCR in the past and heard back from them by March. I got rejected from my two other schools, UCLA and UCI, by mid-February. I find it strange that some UCs seem to be on their usual decision schedule and others are extremely delayed. This wait has been excruciating for UCR, but I have no other choice. It's also my top choice out of all three options so, I shall continue to wait. . . :)

Edited by DrMutt