Fall 2023 PhD Applicant Thread

cuppaon

Hi all! I saw threads for individual schools but nothing general (hopefully I haven't just missed this). I'm guessing most of us are applying to a whole lot of schools -- most of which aren't popular enough for their own threads. Figured I would start a general discussion space for this waiting period! 

I am waiting to hear from Harvard, Teacher's College Columbia, NYU, Cincinnati, UW-Madison, UIUC, UMichigan, Rutgers, Pittsburgh and CUNY. The titles of the actual programs I applied for varies but generally to do with Education/Ed Policy! How about the rest of you all?

Hi all!

I applied to literacy/curriculum programs at Columbia, Boston College, Boston University, McGill, University of Minnesota, NYU, UPenn, University of Iowa, and UCLA. So far, I've gotten an interview with BU and an acceptance from University of Minnesota. Feeling excited but still anxiously awaiting more replies!

I applied to Northwestern, NYU, UPenn, Harvard, and BC. A mix of dev psych/educ for me. Got an invitation to interview with BC last night, otherwise, nothing so far! Thanks for the general thread! I had no idea how much I would want to talk to people in similar situations during this waiting period. My family just cannot relate haha, although I'm lucky they're supportive.

42 minutes ago, Creamsoda said:

I applied to Northwestern, NYU, UPenn, Harvard, and BC. A mix of dev psych/educ for me. Got an invitation to interview with BC last night, otherwise, nothing so far! Thanks for the general thread! I had no idea how much I would want to talk to people in similar situations during this waiting period. My family just cannot relate haha, although I'm lucky they're supportive.

What do you mean by BC? Congrats by the way ;) ace the interview!

Let's stress out together!

Ha I''m surprised to see McGill was mentioned twice in this thread! It's (about to be) my alma mater twice (Bachelor of Education & thesis-based MA), and I know the department quite well. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. 

As for me, I applied to HGSE, Teachers College, Upenn, Stanford, OISE and McGill. Have not heard from any of them, though I'm meeting with my thesis supervisor come Friday so hopefully I can get some insider information about how admisssion is going this year, or at least some words of wisdom lol. 

Good luck everyone! 

17 minutes ago, Sherbrooke6888 said:

Ha I''m surprised to see McGill was mentioned twice in this thread! It's (about to be) my alma mater twice (Bachelor of Education & thesis-based MA), and I know the department quite well. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. 

As for me, I applied to HGSE, Teachers College, Upenn, Stanford, OISE and McGill. Have not heard from any of them, though I'm meeting with my thesis supervisor come Friday so hopefully I can get some insider information about how admisssion is going this year, or at least some words of wisdom lol. 

Good luck everyone! 

Amazing! I'd love to have an idea about the admissions deadline at McGill, if you can get us this info ;) 

Edited by eduforall

Thank you for starting the thread @cuppaon! I applied to Columbia, NYU, Maryland, Minnesota, Indiana, Pittsburgh, and George Washington. My area is in comparative & international education. I've been accepted to Minnesota. No words from other schools yet. It's nice to connect with people in similar situations here! 

9 hours ago, eduforall said:

I applied to HGSE, UPenn, Stanford, Buffalo SUNY and McGill (focus on language in education).

Good luck everyone!

Cool! In no particular order, I applied to the following: HGSE, UPenn, Stanford, and Columbia Teachers College (focus on international & comparative education).

Good luck to you too and everyone else here!

Thanks for starting this thread!!

Apart from the programs mentioned, I also applied to Vanderbilt’s Peabody School. Anyone else applying there? I’m noticing not many applications to Vandy’s PhD programs on this forum and wondering why lol.

Good luck to y’all!

HI! Applied to Education PhD programs with emphasis on human development / psychology. Schools: Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, NYU, Northwestern and Michigan

Received an acceptance to UMich's Education and Psychology program yesterday! Haven't heard anything from any other schools. Glad to be here with you all!

Hey everyone! Good luck to everyone with their apps. I also applied to Phd programs in the fields of Education/Ed.Psych/Learning Science at HGSE, UIUC, Northwestern, and UT-Austin. So far I've had one interview at UIUC but have not heard back from anywhere else. Hoping for further good news later this month! 

21 hours ago, amexpat said:

HI! Applied to Education PhD programs with emphasis on human development / psychology. Schools: Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, NYU, Northwestern and Michigan

Received an acceptance to UMich's Education and Psychology program yesterday! Haven't heard anything from any other schools. Glad to be here with you all!

Hi, I also applied for UMich but a different Ph.D. program. May I ask if you were interviewed before the acceptance? Or did you contact any professors while submitting it? Thanks!

On 1/11/2023 at 8:17 PM, polikilljoy said:

Thank you for starting the thread @cuppaon! I applied to Columbia, NYU, Maryland, Minnesota, Indiana, Pittsburgh, and George Washington. My area is in comparative & international education. I've been accepted to Minnesota. No words from other schools yet. It's nice to connect with people in similar situations here! 

I was looking in to the International Ed at NYU, too. It was originally my first choice, but I decided to shift to something that would keep me in the k-12 system. Good luck to you!

1 hour ago, Celia0820 said:

Hi, I also applied for UMich but a different Ph.D. program. May I ask if you were interviewed before the acceptance? Or did you contact any professors while submitting it? Thanks!

I was not interviewed. Granted, I might be a in a bit of a special situation with UMich, since I've worked with my POI before in a lab setting as a predoctoral student.

Edited by amexpat

Congrats to those who have heard back positively! These schools are early!

So exciting to see folx who are starting in Ed Psych/Learning Sciences. (my area ?)

I posted a thread in Waiting it Out about the process from a grad director's perspective that you all might find useful/interesting.

Hang in there to those of you still waiting!