Fall 2023 PhD Applicant Thread

cuppaon

Hi everyone! 

Stopped by to say hi because I'm waiting on much of the same education schools :) I applied for PhD in curriculum with a focus on English or literacy depending on the school's program: South Carolina, UNC, NC State, Virginia, Maryland, JHU, UPenn, and Ohio. 

Haven't heard from any of them, other than an interview in December with NC State. 

I was doing a good job of not getting impatient/anxious, but now that it's mid-January I've lost my cool :) 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:52 AM, amexpat said:

Any news anyone? Radio silence on my end from Harvard (HDLT), Stanford (DAPS), UCLA (Human Dev and Psych), NYU (Psych and Intervention) and Northwestern (HDSP)

@amexpat it looks like we've applied to some similar programs! I applied to HGSE and Northwestern, same programs, but haven't heard anything.

I have had an interview with NYU (psych and intervention) and they said that at the end of next week they'd be sending out invitations to an in-person event. UPenn has at least sent some interviews out.

Edited by Creamsoda

19 hours ago, francienolan said:

I was doing a good job of not getting impatient/anxious, but now that it's mid-January I've lost my cool :) 

Just remember that worth has nothing to do with invites--try and find a way to care for yourselfduring this very trying season!

1 hour ago, cuppaon said:

I heard back from UIUC but not sure about funding so ?

Congrats on Illinois! I heard back from NC today, but same as you - no word on funding yet. 

It was nice to get something positive though :) 

Rochester (warners ) all interview wenrt out. All other application will be reviewed without interview. I guess it a sot reject. Maryland already reviewing 

3 hours ago, francienolan said:

Congrats on Illinois! I heard back from NC today, but same as you - no word on funding yet. 

It was nice to get something positive though :) 

yea heard from Clemson looking positive. fingers crossed

10 hours ago, snuggles said:

Rochester (warners ) all interview wenrt out. All other application will be reviewed without interview. I guess it a sot reject. Maryland already reviewing 

yea heard from Clemson looking positive. fingers crossed

Congrats on Clemson!!!

4 hours ago, Norah1994 said:

Hi Guys, 

How come some applicants submit results on Saturdays and Sundays? Do Universities actually send out decisions on the weekend? Or are they reporting decisions sent out earlier within the week?

I think it's a little of both. Most likely, people are reporting offers they got this past week. I received a confirmation that my status had changed on one of my applications via a 2AM email! Who knows when they set these things to go out! 

9 hours ago, francienolan said:

I think it's a little of both. Most likely, people are reporting offers they got this past week. I received a confirmation that my status had changed on one of my applications via a 2AM email! Who knows when they set these things to go out! 

Lol, I guess no matter how much I try I can't predict when the decisions might come out. 

Edited by Norah1994

On 1/21/2023 at 8:59 AM, Norah1994 said:

Hi Guys, 

How come some applicants submit results on Saturdays and Sundays? Do Universities actually send out decisions on the weekend? Or are they reporting decisions sent out earlier within the week?

Yeah, I got a phone call Friday afternoon, but I went out to dinner with my partner and forgot to post until Saturday morning. And some portals don't seem to notify until the next time the internal system updates (midnight, for example, at my current institution). 

I applied to 5 UCs only for PhD in Education Studies, all educational policy leanings: Davis, Irvine, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Riverside. 

I had an informal interview with Santa Barbara and Riverside in January. Haven't heard anything from any other school. 

First time applying and over thinking everything!