Ann Arbor, MI

Guest wolverine

I'm not familiar with many places on North, but I did know someone who lived in Willowtree. I didn't think his apartment was in poor condition--it's nothing special, but was decently upkept, there's abundant parking, etc. Maybe my standards were lower as an undergrad, but I don't think I'd be opposed to living there now except for the location (my classes will be on Central).

If I recall, there was a fire in the apartment complex last summer, maybe that's contributed to the reputation? I haven't been to the complex since then. But for what it's worth, there seemed to be a few families living in the apartments, and it was definitely a calm, quiet environment--but then, all of North Campus is; my engineering friends see deer with relative frequency. :)

Edited by TypeA

I'm not familiar with many places on North, but I did know someone who lived in Willowtree. I didn't think his apartment was in poor condition--it's nothing special, but was decently upkept, there's abundant parking, etc. Maybe my standards were lower as an undergrad, but I don't think I'd be opposed to living there now except for the location (my classes will be on Central).

If I recall, there was a fire in the apartment complex last summer, maybe that's contributed to the reputation? I haven't been to the complex since then. But for what it's worth, there seemed to be a few families living in the apartments, and it was definitely a calm, quiet environment--but then, all of North Campus is; my engineering friends see deer with relative frequency. :)

So where are you planning to live? I am not set on living near North since I will have classes on Central and I hear the busses are very good.

I'm living south of main campus, a 15-20 minute walk down State from the Union (across from the Fieldhouse/Schembechler). I've spoken to a few grad students at Ford about the area, and they say it's grad-student friendly--the undergrads put more priority on location, so they tend not to seek housing that far out.

The North Commuter does pick up along some of S. State Street (coming in off of Hoover), which would get you to North quite easily. I'm not super familiar with Kerrytown, so I can't speak to buses in that area. If you don't want to live on North, I think you'll have better luck with prices on south campus than in Kerrytown, but I'm afraid I'm not much help in terms of locating housing... I didn't actually find my apartment; I'm joining a lease on a 2br that a friend signed without having a roommate.

I'm not in Ann Arbor so I don't really know much, but I was thinking SpiceTree as well. I looked it up on apartmentratings.com and there were a couple raters who said they had the catalytic converters stolen from their cars and were told it wasn't uncommon. You have to take everything online with a grain of salt, but it's made me reconsider.

Fortunately I found a potential roommate who lives in Ann Arbor already so now I have some help on the other side. We're looking north right now and I think that's where I'll end up.

Any other thoughts on places to live? What do people think of living in Ypsilanti and driving in? I am an engineer so my lab will be in North Campus but I will have to take classes in Central. I know parking for students in Central is impossible, but how is it parking on North Campus and then just taking the shuttle to Central for classes?

Any other thoughts on places to live? What do people think of living in Ypsilanti and driving in? I am an engineer so my lab will be in North Campus but I will have to take classes in Central. I know parking for students in Central is impossible, but how is it parking on North Campus and then just taking the shuttle to Central for classes?

I wouldn't recommend it. Parking is seriously impossible, even in like 5 different garages near/on the campus. My best friend lived out in Ypsi during her first 3 years and she told me that if she had to do it all over again, she'd love closer to the campus. Granted, she didn't have a car until her third year and things did get a little easier but it was just far better to take the bus. It's better to shell out the money to be close to your peers and the lab- they're important part of your graduate training.

If you don't want to live near campus, I recommend living within Ann Arbor (avoid Ypsilanti because fewer bus routes serve the area), especially the northeast, southeast, and old west side areas. These neighborhoods are more affordable than downtown/campus arrangements. I live two miles from U-M, and the bus ride is 10 minutes to Central/North Campuses. I chose to live further away from campus because I make frequent trips to Metro Detroit. My apartment is located in a quiet and safe neighborhood (literally no crime) with other graduate students. I'm close enough to visit campus, but far enough to avoid undergraduate parties and football traffic!

Riding the public bus (AATA) is also free for U-M faculty, staff, and students. It makes living further away from campus much easier.

Edited by michigan girl

If you don't want to live near campus, I recommend living within Ann Arbor (avoid Ypsilanti because fewer bus routes serve the area), especially the northeast, southeast, and old west side areas. These neighborhoods are more affordable than downtown/campus arrangements. I live two miles from U-M, and the bus ride is 10 minutes to Central/North Campuses. I chose to live further away from campus because I make frequent trips to Metro Detroit. My apartment is located in a quiet and safe neighborhood (literally no crime) with other graduate students. I'm close enough to visit campus, but far enough to avoid undergraduate parties and football traffic!

Riding the public bus (AATA) is also free for U-M faculty, staff, and students. It makes living further away from campus much easier.

You make some great points. Would you mind saying which area you particularly live in? Since I have to sign a lease sight unseen, all the review of apartment complexes I see online are so mixed and hard to get a straightforward opinion.

Hi all,

I too am moving to Ann Arbor to start a biomedical engineering PhD this fall. I will split my time between central and north campus for classes but my research lab will most likely be in north campus. I would like a 1 bdrm for under $1000/month and I don't necessarily want a car if I don't need it. I have so far heard Kerrytown is nice, but a little pricey. The other places I have heard about are Willowtree, which sounds overpriced and in bad condition, or Northwood which sounds ok but overpriced. Are there any more opinions about these places or other great locations to look at? I would def. prefer quieter areas that are at least close to some restaurants (in case I don't get a car).

Hey Ghanada, congratz on deciding to come to Ann Arbor, first of all! I think you can look into some apartments along Plymouth road. The AATA #2 bus runs up and down of this route and can take to you central campus in about 10-15 minutes. I live in a one-bedroom and paying about 800 a month (including heat/utility) with lots of space. I can tell you more about the area in PM if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any experience with the Northwoods apartment complex? Apparently they're supposed to let us know within 30 days of our proposed move-in date if they have room, but that seems kinda late because in my case that's already the beginning of July, and the spots in other places are drying up pretty quickly. Does anyone know about the chance that you'll get housing at Northwoods? If it's more or less a sure thing then I guess that's not too worriesome, but I really don't know too much about it.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm moving to Ann Arbor this Fall and very happy I made the decision. I don't drive so I'm planning to get a place in walking distance to the central campus. I was told that the rents have been rising for the last couple of years and the chance of getting a decent apartment for reasonable rent is quite slim in August, so I'm thinking of flying to AA in April to look around and sign a contract. I don't think I'll need a car to go about to see the rooms since I'll only be looking at the ones near the campus. I'm going to look at the listings online, and then have a list of apartments that I'd like to actually look around. I think I'll e-mail the owners or the property managers beforehand and ring them for appointments when I arrive in AA. In this case, do I need more than two days (from morning to evening) to look and sign a contract? I really need to get a room before April because I'm still finishing my degree until the end of summer, but still I don't want to get a place that I wouldn't love to live for at least a year in a hurry.

If anyone could help, or have any advice for apartment hunting in AA, that would be great!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are some good neighborhoods for grad students in Ann Arbor?? I really don't want to make the mistake of being surrounded by undergrads.

A lot of grad students live west of main street. Neighborhoods around west liberty are good areas to live at and you do not have to worry about undergrads. Most undergrads live on around packard st, hill st, and south university. You want to stay out of south of huron and east of main street if you do not want to be surrounded by undergrads.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of living in Northwood and am considering signing up for a Zipcar account; I'm aware the UM bus system/AATA are reliable but I'd like to be able to visit other cities on occasion and have a car for groceries. Does anybody know what the Zipcar availability in A2 is like? There are several lots, but there don't seem to be many cars and I'm concerned that I would have difficulty reserving a vehicle.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of living in Northwood and am considering signing up for a Zipcar account; I'm aware the UM bus system/AATA are reliable but I'd like to be able to visit other cities on occasion and have a car for groceries. Does anybody know what the Zipcar availability in A2 is like? There are several lots, but there don't seem to be many cars and I'm concerned that I would have difficulty reserving a vehicle.

I've never done it myself (I always had a car) but I know others who do/did use the service fairly regularly and I've never heard of them having any trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best way to look for places in Ann Arbor? I've never really had to search for my own apartments... I'd like to start looking for apartments for late summer/fall. Will be mostly around north campus, but would consider living more in the downtown sorta area as well as north campus. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best way to look for places in Ann Arbor? I've never really had to search for my own apartments... I'd like to start looking for apartments for late summer/fall. Will be mostly around north campus, but would consider living more in the downtown sorta area as well as north campus. Thanks!

There's always Craigslist and just looking at apartment complexes in the area. I'd caution against waiting until late summer/fall to look for housing - by then you'd likely only find pricier options.

• 4 weeks later...

As I stated previously in this thread, it is easier to find cheaper apartments the further away from campus. The best time to search for housing is April/May period (most units in excellent condition will be gone by the end of June). Any housing within a mile radius of campus will exceed $1,000/mo. If you want to live closer to the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti border, you can find more affordable apartments with reasonable rents and amenities (free parking, free heat, free water, balcony, etc.) in the $700-900/mo range. Another caveat is that most large supermarkets are located on the fringes of the city near the major expressways. If you are not bringing a car, you may want to consider how you will have the means to retrieve groceries. The public bus system in Ann Arbor is good, but literally restricts service on the weekends.

Edited by michigan girl

I was going to sign a lease back in the spring, but at the last minute I decided that I wanted to live in Northwood. However, I kept on getting led on by the housing department until they just informed me that in fact all apartments are gone! So, I'm now looking for an apartment again. Any tips? Am I screwed this late in the game?