expressing 'fit' with program

I was wondering whether anyone had any advice in expressing the fit with a given program. Obviously the specific advisor I am aiming to work with and his/her work will be explored but I want to express my knowledge of the program without resorting to platitudes like "the world class reputation of University XXX..."

Clearly this is a subjective issue but if anyone had any generalities to share i'd appreciate it :)

Edited by db2290

I was wondering whether anyone had any advice in expressing the fit with a given program. Obviously the specific advisor I am aiming to work with and his/her work will be explored but I want to express my knowledge of the program without resorting to platitudes like "the world class reputation of University XXX..."

Clearly this is a subjective issue but if anyone had any generalities to share i'd appreciate it :)

You can mention research opportunities (labs, research centers), facilities, libraries or equipment... It depends on your field of study.

Stay away from the platitudes as you say. Things that you can mention are that they emphasize student research and have a collaborative or interdisciplinary approach (as long as they do actually have these things). Schools that emphasize student research and that have a interdisciplinary approach tend to be proud of those things.

Several things result in a good "fit" with a program:

- Interests: overlap between your interests and topics currently being pursued by professors in the department. This is the obvious one. The more potential advisers you may have, the better -- you'll have more course options, more people to guide your own work, probably more peers who are working on similar issues. The more specific and developed your interests, the better the adcom can see this fit. Vague generalities will result in no one finding your research interests particularly relevant to them. There is no need for platitudes; just make it clear how your work relates to as many potential advisors in a department as possible.

- Resources: inter- and intra-departmental collaborations, proximity to a researcher or department in another university in the area (but don't make too big a deal of it), library/archives/informants or other (professional) reasons for you to be specifically at location X, special equipment (labs, fMRI or whatnot), certificate programs (e.g. teaching, translation, specialty in X - cog sci, media are relevant examples for my field)

- Methods: professors who use methodologies that you are interested in, even if they use them to study different topics than you are interested in

- Social environment: this is more elusive, but different departments work differently. Some are friendlier and close-knit, some are more competitive. Some have student-student or student-professor collaborations, at some you're supposed to fly solo. At some students (and occasionally professors) meet up for beer and Topics in X late-night sessions, at some you go home to your own life at the end of the day. This is something that you should independently be interested in when you're choosing where to apply, because for example if you're a very competitive person you may be completely miserable in too laid-back an atmosphere, even though professionally you may get the mentorship you need (or vice-versa, over-competitiveness can easily cause some people to feel insecure and out of place). Your character should preferably shine through your SOP, not be written about directly, but mentioning social fit also works if you frame it in the right way.

Usually you'll find the things a program is most proud of directly on its website. Certificates, collaborations, special resources will feature prominently.

For things like methodologies and interests you might need to go on individual professors' homepages.

Social atmosphere is the factor that is hardest to learn about. That you'll hear about from colleagues or professors, but be mindful. The student body at an institution is a changing thing and some rumors (or past facts) may simply not hold anymore. The best way to know about how a department operates is to speak to a current student there.

The more detailed you are, the more elements you can write about, the more excited you sound - the better the fit will shine through.

Edited by fuzzylogician

• 2 weeks later...

fuzzylogician is hitting this on all cylinders. I might also add paying close attention to the department's mission statement and/or ethos. For instance, if the spirit of the program has a strong social justice bent using language that reflects that in your SOP communicates fit. If there isn't a "who we are" statement on the web google the chair and faculty members on the school's main website. Often, speeches or internal communications/PR with faculty members provide some interesting insight into the department's focus or current direction. Tapping into that can make your app timely. It's the SOP version of mirroring body language.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it important to discuss how professors' interests match yours even if you are NOT applying for PhD? I know some graduate science programs might require this mesh of student/professor interests, but I am applying for an IR degree... what are your thoughts? Should I mention how professors' research or specialized interests correlate to my own in my SOP?

Is it important to discuss how professors' interests match yours even if you are NOT applying for PhD? I know some graduate science programs might require this mesh of student/professor interests, but I am applying for an IR degree... what are your thoughts? Should I mention how professors' research or specialized interests correlate to my own in my SOP?

Are you applying for a Master's? Will you be writing a thesis? Or will it be 100% coursework based? If you are writing a thesis, you should explain how your interests fit with professors' research, as you will be undertaking a substantial research project with one/some of them. If the program is 100% coursework, I would suggest still focusing on particular professors, but rather than their research, focus on what courses they offer. Syllabi are often available on professors website, and presumably you want to attend the specific school because you will be excited to take classes with the professors there--express that. Why would reading particular material be augmented by being in the room with a particular professor? If you pick out some particular professors, those people are more likely to pull for you in the admissions process and the extra work of looking into classes will convey to the adcomm more generally that you know what you are getting into by pursuing a degree at the particular school.

Edited by LJK

Are you applying for a Master's? Will you be writing a thesis? Or will it be 100% coursework based? If you are writing a thesis, you should explain how your interests fit with professors' research, as you will be undertaking a substantial research project with one/some of them. If the program is 100% coursework, I would suggest still focusing on particular professors, but rather than their research, focus on what courses they offer. Syllabi are often available on professors website, and presumably you want to attend the specific school because you will be excited to take classes with the professors there--express that. Why would reading particular material be augmented by being in the room with a particular professor? If you pick out some particular professors, those people are more likely to pull for you in the admissions process and the extra work of looking into classes will convey to the adcomm more generally that you know what you are getting into by pursuing a degree at the particular school.

Thanks! That was really helpful. It will definitely improve my SOP.

I am applying for a masters in IR and most of the programs do not require a master's thesis, but only require a major research paper (from any one of the courses taken while attending the program) to be submitted in order to graduate. Most of the university's programs of study have a similar requirement. So that's why I was unsure about whether or not to include current professors' interests, but I think it will definitely help and certainly won't hurt my application.

Thanks! That was really helpful. It will definitely improve my SOP.

I am applying for a masters in IR and most of the programs do not require a master's thesis, but only require a major research paper (from any one of the courses taken while attending the program) to be submitted in order to graduate. Most of the university's programs of study have a similar requirement. So that's why I was unsure about whether or not to include current professors' interests, but I think it will definitely help and certainly won't hurt my application.

I understand that in some fields, like English (I believe), your funding isn't tied to a prof's research group so you are not expected to contact profs before applying nor mention profs in your SoP. I'm not sure about IR specifically though.

I understand that in some fields, like English (I believe), your funding isn't tied to a prof's research group so you are not expected to contact profs before applying nor mention profs in your SoP. I'm not sure about IR specifically though.

Not contacting professors and not mentioning professors in the SOP are two separate issues. In many humanities fields funding is not tied to a specific grant but rather comes directly from the department so there is no need to contact professors before hand. Mentioning professors with similar interests in the SOP is still a good way to demonstrate fit (at least for research programs) so that decision should be made separately.

Not contacting professors and not mentioning professors in the SOP are two separate issues. In many humanities fields funding is not tied to a specific grant but rather comes directly from the department so there is no need to contact professors before hand. Mentioning professors with similar interests in the SOP is still a good way to demonstrate fit (at least for research programs) so that decision should be made separately.

Understood..thanks for the clarification.