PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

Just now, Mamitis said:

Oh my gosh. Right? Did you interview? I think you’re the first person I’ve come across applying to this track. Apparently, it’s the largest and most popular. 

I did not interview. And from what I’ve gathered, that’s normal. It looks like the DrPH program doesn’t interview much. I feel like an outlier applying to the program though - my public health paid work experience is bare minimum and I don’t have an MPH (I have an MPA and MS). I’m hoping my other qualifications are good enough lol

1 hour ago, Maydayx said:

I did not interview. And from what I’ve gathered, that’s normal. It looks like the DrPH program doesn’t interview much. I feel like an outlier applying to the program though - my public health paid work experience is bare minimum and I don’t have an MPH (I have an MPA and MS). I’m hoping my other qualifications are good enough lol

Re: interview . . . Totally! That’s my understanding, too. :)

Re: PH experience . . . That’s part of what makes public health awesome. The non-traditional pathways, different kinds of backgrounds, minds that are dissimilar. I’m glad you’re applying. :) 

20 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Re: interview . . . Totally! That’s my understanding, too. :)

Re: PH experience . . . That’s part of what makes public health awesome. The non-traditional pathways, different kinds of backgrounds, minds that are dissimilar. I’m glad you’re applying. :) 

I totally agree- some of the most interesting and successful people I’ve met are those whose career trajectories were dictated by what excited them, instead of preconceived ideas of what they “should do” alone.. pivots are awesome and rewarding when done for the right reasons. 😃

9 minutes ago, EquityDoctor said:

Has anyone has an interview with GWU and heard an admission decision? I had an interview 3 weeks ago but haven't heard back yet. 

Same, haven’t heard back since my interview a few weeks ago. Did you apply to the residential or online program?

1 hour ago, ADRPH said:

Same, haven’t heard back since my interview a few weeks ago. Did you apply to the residential or online program?

I interviewed for the online program in January. I was told we can expect decisions around mid-March. Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, EquityDoctor said:

I applied residential, afterwards they said they would have decisions out early-mid February.

Same, they told me mid Feb as well at the end of my interview

I emailed somebody in Harvard's admissions team for the health policy PhD track. She said interviews were completed recently and decisions should be out end of February/early March. I'm saddened to say if you didn't get interviewed, it likely means they didn't move you forward in the admissions process (I didn't get an interview either and am assuming it's a rejection). 

Hopkins sent out decisions for HSR today as well (aka started off the week with a rejection which was mighty sad). 

Best of luck to everybody! 

4 minutes ago, srhpublichealth8 said:

Finally heard back from Brown BSHS, did not get in. I had hoped the director would at least send a personal email after the whole interview process but it was just a generic email from the admissions office. Congrats to those who were admitted though!

Thanks for keeping us updated. That just means it wasn't right for you and the right program will come your way. I'm surprised that it took an inquiry to find out from them after the interview process, instead of them letting you know in due time. 

On 2/10/2024 at 10:48 AM, Public health grl said:

Anyone hear from Harvard DrPH yet? 

Nothing yet. I applied but I did not interview with Harvard’s DrPH. Checking the portal daily.

I also have not heard back from BU’s DrPH program. I interviewed with them at the end of January.