PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

Hello all fellow JHU DrPH applicants.....suffering. I feel you. I can't focus and am a bundle of nerves. Applied in 2020 (for 2021) and made it onto the waitlist- that was as far as I got. I feel like this application is significantly better this time round, but I've resided in the idea I'll be rejected. Have seen some people were interviewed, and I am guessing this might be specific per chosen stream/school. I've applied to the health security track, and just wondering if there is anyone else that has as well? Any further intel/progress- get an interview? I just want this to be over already.

47 minutes ago, onelastshot said:

Hello all fellow JHU DrPH applicants.....suffering. I feel you. I can't focus and am a bundle of nerves. Applied in 2020 (for 2021) and made it onto the waitlist- that was as far as I got. I feel like this application is significantly better this time round, but I've resided in the idea I'll be rejected. Have seen some people were interviewed, and I am guessing this might be specific per chosen stream/school. I've applied to the health security track, and just wondering if there is anyone else that has as well? Any further intel/progress- get an interview? I just want this to be over already.

Also wondering which tracks did interviews and which didn't.

8 hours ago, dragonfly2024 said:

Also wondering which tracks did interviews and which didn't.

When I reached out to admissions to get an idea of timeline and next steps, they told me that an interview is not required. I donā€™t know if they looked at what track I applied to before they responded but that was the information they gave me in their response email. I applied to implementation science for context.Ā 

10 hours ago, onelastshot said:

Interviews are rare and in the minority across all the tracks, I believe. Likely there's a fit question, or clarification the admission committee wants, that they didn't garner from the application itself. So it's really a "let me double check thatĀ specificĀ candidate." The Bloomberg Overdose Prevention candidate I spoke to was never interviewed, nor was she aware of anyone in her cohort who was. She said, "maybe one or two?"

12 hours ago, onelastshot said:

I also applied to health security - although I've been waitlisted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

5 minutes ago, healthequityMImi said:

Did you receive the JHU DrPH waitlist notification via email or saw it on the portal?Ā 

I got an email at 7:38 CT this morning with subject "there has been an update on your application" then had to go into the portal and click through to see the new status.

1 minute ago, Maydayx said:

I applied to health equity and social justice and did not interview.Ā 

I applied to the health security and addiction overdose fellowship. No interview. No notification this AM.

Health Policy and Management Track - Overdose Prevention Fellowship. No interview. I did meet with a faculty member and, then later on, with a member of the Bloomberg Overdose Prevention Initiative project back in August though to share my goals and see if it would be a fit.

5 minutes ago, Ologyswan said:

I got an email at 7:38 CT this morning with subject "there has been an update on your application" then had to go into the portal and click through to see the new status.

Oh okay, I guess itā€™s good to know they are starting to send out notificationsā€¦Best of luck to you!

5 minutes ago, aDrPH said:

Has anyone received a decision update from the Hopkins DrPH Health Equity and Social Justice concentration yet?Ā 

Not yet :(Ā My husband sent me to a spa for the day where they are locking up my phone because I'm losing it... Ā Hopefully, we'll all know something by my return tonightĀ šŸ« 

Just now, DelaineTheBrain said:

Not yet :(Ā My husband sent me to a spa for the day where they are locking up my phone because I'm losing it... Ā Hopefully, we'll all know something by my return tonightĀ šŸ« 

Thatā€™s so thoughtful of your husband! :)Ā Wishing all of us the best!!

2 minutes ago, DelaineTheBrain said:

I know that feeling! After every result, I'm refreshing my phoneĀ šŸ¤£Spent the morning filling out birthday cards for my son, and trying to get my head back in the game for meetings this afternoon. Refreshing data spreadsheets is not a cognitive intensive enough task right now to distract me.