PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

4 hours ago, cpkepi said:

Anyone heard from Boston University Epi PhD program so far?

I did! I heard there were hundreds of applicants this year, so the first screening is taking long. A selected list of candidates will be invited for interviews at the end of the month and early Feb. Interviews will be scheduled by Feb. Hang in there, hope we make the short list =")

Edited by Qantu

44 minutes ago, kk1985 said:

Just a bit of info re: the Harvard DrPH - I interviewed this morning with the program, I think the last date for interviews is the 28th Jan?

Thanks! When you mean by last day, do you mean sending out interview invites is january 28th, or they should have all interviews done and wrapped up by January 28th. I thought the KIIRA assessment was supposed to replace the interviews, but clearly doesn't seem to be the case. 

1 hour ago, kk1985 said:

Just a bit of info re: the Harvard DrPH - I interviewed this morning with the program, I think the last date for interviews is the 28th Jan?

How was the interview? Do you mean for their first round interviews? 

Edited by Public health grl

1 hour ago, andrewsethna said:

Thanks! When you mean by last day, do you mean sending out interview invites is january 28th, or they should have all interviews done and wrapped up by January 28th. I thought the KIIRA assessment was supposed to replace the interviews, but clearly doesn't seem to be the case. 

The email that I received said that all interviews have to be completed by the 28th

1 hour ago, Public health grl said:

How was the interview? Do you mean for their first round interviews? 

It wasn't too bad - pretty friendly, questions fairly straight forward, around leadership, failure etc.

And yup, assuming that's the first round? Certainly the first one I have done!

11 hours ago, Qantu said:

I did! I heard there were hundreds of applicants this year, so the first screening is taking long. A selected list of candidates will be invited for interviews at the end of the month and early Feb. Interviews will be scheduled by Feb. Hang in there, hope we make the short list =")

Thanks for your info! Did you mean that they haven't sent out the invitations yet (but soon)? 🙂

1 hour ago, Ikigai1896 said:

@Qantu I would love to hear your experience interviewing for Harvards PHS PHD program! I’m still aggressively manifesting my interview and have reached a “surrender” stage of waiting but thought I’d prepare myself mentally :)) 

Hi! Of course! It was around January 10 To be honest, I don't know if it went good of bad. It was a 30- minute talk with questions related to what makes me a unique candidate for the program. I also had the chance to talk about my mentoring and research experiences and ask questions about the program. The flow of the conversation was positive, but I didn't feel the interviewer selling the program. People say that good interviews have a component of selling-buying from both sides. Hope this helps! I couldn't understad if you got an interview or are waiting to receive one, but I wish you the best in any case 🤗

Just now, Qantu said:

Hi! Of course! It was around January 10 To be honest, I don't know if it went good of bad. It was a 30- minute talk with questions related to what makes me a unique candidate for the program. I also had the chance to talk about my mentoring and research experiences and ask questions about the program. The flow of the conversation was positive, but I didn't feel the interviewer selling the program. People say that good interviews have a component of selling-buying from both sides. Hope this helps! I couldn't understad if you got an interview or are waiting to receive one, but I wish you the best in any case 🤗

Not yet! Ahhh okay gotcha! I should sit and think about the question too.. hmm! On the spot these can be hard 😳

Hi everyone,

I am new to this place, just want to get some information. I applied for the PhD in Population Health Sciences at Harvard University with a concentration in Occupational Epidemiology. So far I have not received anything from the office. Not sure if they are still sending out invitations for interview. 

26 minutes ago, OP123 said:

Hi everyone,

I am new to this place, just want to get some information. I applied for the PhD in Population Health Sciences at Harvard University with a concentration in Occupational Epidemiology. So far I have not received anything from the office. Not sure if they are still sending out invitations for interview. 

Hello! I applied for the PhD in PHS at Harvard and haven't heard back either. A lot of people received interview invitations though - not sure if I should take it as a rejection. 

1 hour ago, britshark said:

Has anybody had multiple interview invites from the same school - but with different faculty members? 

Hi -- yes, it seems like some schools have multiple one-person interviews (versus panels). For one of the schools, I had a call with a potential advisor and another call with a member of the admission committee. 

13 hours ago, mindymar1985 said:

It wasn't too bad - pretty friendly, questions fairly straight forward, around leadership, failure etc.

And yup, assuming that's the first round? Certainly the first one I have done!

Wishing you Good luck!! I am sure you did well!

This is my first time applying. I am still confused as to how much they weigh interviews. Admissions was ambivalent about interviews when I had asked prior to applying. 

Hi All!

IU DrPh global public health - interviewed dec 20, accepted Jan 19th. I haven’t seen anyone else asking about this program, lol, so wondering if I’m missing something. 

Tulane DrPh Leadership Advocacy Equity - no response

JHU DrPh - no response (portal says application under review)

University of South Florida DrPh Advanced Practice Leadership - no response (also don’t see anyone else asking about this program 👀)

Hi.

I have applied to IU DRPH, JHU DRPH, Rutgers DRPH, and USF DRPH. I have been accepted at IU, but they require me to submit my MPH degree by the 1st of March. I haven't heard from the rest of the programs yet. I am looking forward to hearing from USF DRPH because my chances of being accepted at JHU are pretty slim.

Best of luck to everyone.

Anyone receive any notifications about acceptance or interviews from USF DrPh fall 2024 applications?  applied 3 weeks after applications opened and haven’t heard anything besides my app had been forwarded for decision when I check my application status. 

3 minutes ago, Jstrick7 said:

Anyone receive any notifications about acceptance or interviews from USF DrPh fall 2024 applications?  applied 3 weeks after applications opened and haven’t heard anything besides my app had been forwarded for decision when I check my application status. 

I have seen that they do interview rounds and final decisions are in April. I’m also waiting to hear back. Best of luck!