PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

2 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Hi All!

IU DrPh global public health - interviewed dec 20, accepted Jan 19th. I haven’t seen anyone else asking about this program, lol, so wondering if I’m missing something. 

Tulane DrPh Leadership Advocacy Equity - no response

JHU DrPh - no response (portal says application under review)

University of South Florida DrPh Advanced Practice Leadership - no response (also don’t see anyone else asking about this program 👀)

Congratulations 🎉 Tulane response will be sent in March.

13 minutes ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Has anyone applied to SDSU DRPH or Georgia Southern University Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health? The deadline is 02/01/2024. Are these schools competitive? I am thinking about applying to these to have backup options.

Yes

3 hours ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Has anyone applied to SDSU DRPH or Georgia Southern University Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health? The deadline is 02/01/2024. Are these schools competitive? I am thinking about applying to these to have backup options.

The SDSU DrPH is a brand new program and requires 3 years of management experience specifically. I did my MPH there but I applied for the JDP PhD since I don’t think I qualify for the DrPH yet (and my boss who is a Senior Epidemiologist might barely now). We are a Top 20-30 school depending on the year so quite competitive .

12 hours ago, Allegra98 said:

Update, Harvard PhD PHS GHP has sent out all interview requests 🥲 just emailed the assistant director of the program and got the reply

Dose anyone know if the SBS track is in the same boat? Haven't heard anything 

11 hours ago, BZG said:

Congratulations 🎉 Tulane response will be sent in March.

Does anyone know if these will be interview requests or acceptance/rejection decisions?

Edited by ARPH

11 hours ago, Squashplayer000 said:
Hi.

I have applied to IU DRPH, JHU DRPH, Rutgers DRPH, and USF DRPH. I have been accepted at IU, but they require me to submit my MPH degree by the 1st of March. I haven't heard from the rest of the programs yet. I am looking forward to hearing from USF DRPH because my chances of being accepted at JHU are pretty slim.

Best of luck to everyone.

I've been checking the USF portal every few days and no updates! Also waiting on JHU 

Hi guys just wanted to post that I recieved my first rejection from JHU for a PhD Epidemiology. I had a feeling this was coming and as a MD native a small part of me wanted to be in Bmore but the majority of me did not because the program was not a great fit for me. I knew going in there was not an advisor doing exactly what I wanted so I had a feeling this would be the outcome. Still have hope for the other schools! Honestly I am happy to have just heard SOMETHING because the silent wait was killing me.

13 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

I applied in September (in that email it said they would start reviewing applications in mid-Jan), interviewed Dec 20, and got acceptance letter Jan 19.

3 hours ago, ARPH said:

Does anyone know if these will be interview requests or acceptance/rejection decisions?

I believe acceptance and rejection 

15 hours ago, Squashplayer000 said:

What is your plan for responding to IU while you wait for other schools? They gave me a deadline of 2/16 

46 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Yea! I doubled checked with Tulane admissions, and they confirmed it's just accept/reject. Also, they said decisions come out early March which is a change from when they told me it was late March/early April . . .

Hi @Mamitis for which program is this information? I applied to their Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences and haven't heard anything so far. I wonder if it's the same. Also, early march is so long from now. You would think they would want to send admission offers as soon as possible. 

15 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

I applied in September (in that email it said they would start reviewing applications in mid-Jan), interviewed Dec 20, and got acceptance letter Jan 19.

5 hours ago, ARPH said:

I believe it was referring to DrPH leadership advocacy and equity. 

Are you applying to their Ph.D program?

6 minutes ago, Anairam said:

Hi @Mamitis for which program is this information? I applied to their Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences and haven't heard anything so far. I wonder if it's the same. Also, early march is so long from now. You would think they would want to send admission offers as soon as possible. 

DrPH

1 minute ago, BZG said:

I believe it was referring to DrPH leadership advocacy and equity. 

Are you applying to their Ph.D program?

I applied to their DrPH leadership program.

1 hour ago, publichealth13 said:

Hi! Has anyone heard from UCLA re: PhD in Community Health Sciences? Wondering if they have an interview process or if interview invites have already gone out. Thank you!

Last year I saw acceptances and rejections for Epidemiology end of Jan/early Feb with some interviews and some straight rejections/acceptances. The timeline might be similar for Community Health but I’m not sure. We might be close! 

Someone posted in the results section about an informal Epi interview last month where they were told the program wasn’t doing formal interviews this year …but I don’t know how accurate that is. I’m here waiting with you, although I am not sure I would want to live in LA (again)! It’s definitely the best ranked school I applied to though. 

1 hour ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

What is your plan for responding to IU while you wait for other schools? They gave me a deadline of 2/16 

Hi. That's a good question. It's a little complicated on my end. IU expects me to produce my final MPH transcript and degree certificate by the deadline you quoted. Although I completed my MPH in July 2023, my university in the UK has not released my documents yet and does not intend to do so by July 2024. They gave me a 'provisional certificate/letter' to use in the meantime but IU did not accept that. I am still trying though, and if I can get them to release my documents, I will accept.

Edited by Squashplayer000