PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

26 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

Anyone at the Brown interview day today know when they are releasing admission decisions? 

I remember that the director said we will hear from them next week for next steps. Not 100% sure though.

Edited by cpkepi

Has anyone had their interview yet for GW's DrPH program? What was the process like? How did it go? My interview is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and I've never interviewed for a doctoral program before!

Anyone else passed the first round for UMN EPI PhD? Does anyone know the chance of a matching (offer) after this? Thank you!

On 1/23/2024 at 9:31 PM, texaspublichealthgirl said:

On 1/24/2024 at 8:23 AM, ARPH said:

PhD Emory acceptance/rejection is out.

I believe each concentration takes 4 students.

1 hour ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Anyone applying to JHU online DrPh, have you found the course schedule for that program? Looking at the registrar website, the list includes both online and in person courses, so wasn’t sure if I was looking at the right place. Trying to see how feasible the online DrPh is with a full time job. 

Hey!

I know several people currently working full time jobs doing the JHU DrPH. It's doable. Their courses are online, but they have you come once or twice a year for week long intensives. 

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/academics/drph/curriculum Go to this page, scroll to the bottom, click on whichever Concentration/Track you're interested in, scroll to the bottom, you'll see the curriculums.

4 hours ago, PinkPanther0808 said:

Can someone who attended Brown’s interview day tell us how it went? Thinking about reapplying next year. 

I applied for the BSHS program - there was a school-wide info session at the beginning, then we broke out into different Zoom rooms for each department for another info session. After that, I had three consecutive interviews, each with one individual faculty member (not sure if everyone else had the same number of interviews), then we ended the day with a Q&A with current students across all departments. The interview questions themselves were all pretty much expected, like "why a PhD" and "where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?" Simply put it was a long day of sitting at a computer!! But all the current students and faculty were SO nice! Students were really open about their experiences, including  stipend/affordability which was great!

2 hours ago, BZG said:

PhD Emory acceptance/rejection is out.

I believe each concentration takes 4 students.

From a friend, I know Emory BSHS sent out some (not sure about all) rejections earlier this month before interview invites were even sent. Their interviews aren't until February. I think the number of interviews/acceptances varies each year based on funding, even between departments.

2 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Anyone applying to JHU online DrPh, have you found the course schedule for that program? Looking at the registrar website, the list includes both online and in person courses, so wasn’t sure if I was looking at the right place. Trying to see how feasible the online DrPh is with a full time job. 

Hi.

I attended their webinar and asked this same question. They said that I could attend the course both online and on campus, depending on the one I registered for. I was also told that one credit hour is approximately 3 hours of studying. So it feels like it's doable. What concentration have you applied to?

Regarding the IU offer of admission, I'm still considering my options and haven't made a final decision. How about you?

On 1/23/2024 at 7:09 PM, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Hi All!

IU DrPh global public health - interviewed dec 20, accepted Jan 19th. I haven’t seen anyone else asking about this program, lol, so wondering if I’m missing something. 

Tulane DrPh Leadership Advocacy Equity - no response

JHU DrPh - no response (portal says application under review)

University of South Florida DrPh Advanced Practice Leadership - no response (also don’t see anyone else asking about this program 👀)

Hi! I also recieved an interview request from IU. I was contacted directly from my interested prof. Do you have any tips for the interview or do you mind sharing any quesitons you were asked during the interview? 🥹🥹

1 hour ago, srhpublichealth8 said:

I applied for the BSHS program - there was a school-wide info session at the beginning, then we broke out into different Zoom rooms for each department for another info session. After that, I had three consecutive interviews, each with one individual faculty member (not sure if everyone else had the same number of interviews), then we ended the day with a Q&A with current students across all departments. The interview questions themselves were all pretty much expected, like "why a PhD" and "where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?" Simply put it was a long day of sitting at a computer!! But all the current students and faculty were SO nice! Students were really open about their experiences, including  stipend/affordability which was great!

Thanks for this info! Good luck to you, I hope your interviews went well!

43 minutes ago, DannnnZ said:

Hi! I also recieved an interview request from IU. I was contacted directly from my interested prof. Do you have any tips for the interview or do you mind sharing any quesitons you were asked during the interview? 🥹🥹

I replied but can’t see it, so sorry if this posts twice (I really dislike this platform!!) 

the interview went over current work and leadership roles, MPH experience and courses, public health interests, who I think is responsible for resolving public health issues, where I want to go with my career, my collaboration style, etc. It was more trying to get to know me, so be yourself and I’m sure you’ll do great. 

1 hour ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Hi.

I attended their webinar and asked this same question. They said that I could attend the course both online and on campus, depending on the one I registered for. I was also told that one credit hour is approximately 3 hours of studying. So it feels like it's doable. What concentration have you applied to?

Regarding the IU offer of admission, I'm still considering my options and haven't made a final decision. How about you?

I’m trying to find current students of the IU program to get their perspective (kind of difficult!). I like the IU program (cohort based, some on campus networking but mostly remote, etc.) but I’m worried about their name recognition in the field as compared to some others I applied to (namely JHU and Tulane). So, still considering my options but I think I will accept purely based on the timing of it all. 

19 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Definitely doable. I spoke to a current DrPH student working with the Bloomberg Overdose Prevention Initiative Project last fall. She worked full time in addition to having a toddler. She initially thought that she would have to move a bit slower (only 1 class at a time) but was able to balance 2-3.

The program expects people to be working full-time really.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:31 PM, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Decisions are out for UNMC DrPH.

Didn't make it to the next round which I figured. I was right they would recommend me for another concentration based on my experience in that field.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:23 AM, ARPH said: