PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

11 minutes ago, srhpublichealth8 said:

I unfortunately don’t have any idea of how UNC’s financial system works, BUT I have heard of students successfully using more competitive offers from other schools to ask for a better package (larger stipend, fellowship, relocation stipend, soft benefits). I would look online for any advice on negotiating PhD packages, since I haven’t gotten any acceptances (yet!) and haven’t gone through the process myself. I did negotiate when deciding on master’s programs and ended up getting an additional $25k scholarship, so it definitely can work!

Thanks a lot! This information is very helpful. Wish you the best for your applications!

18 minutes ago, Qantu said:

Thank you! It was a couple of weeks ago. Did you receive the general email this morning? They mentioned decisions would be released in batches until the end of March. So, there is still a lot of time. Fingers crossed!

Thanks! Yes I received that email as well. I think they are still interviewing other applicants. Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, Qantu said:

Thank you! It was a couple of weeks ago. Did you receive the general email this morning? They mentioned decisions would be released in batches until the end of March. So, there is still a lot of time. Fingers crossed!

I was also accepted to UNC this evening! With no interview though. I was sort of expecting it, because a professor with similar interest viewed my LinkedIn recently lol. 

I didn't get any info on which track or mentor I was accepted to or funding yet. DM me if you wanna connect :)

29 minutes ago, PublicHealthShorty said:

I was also accepted to UNC this evening! With no interview though. I was sort of expecting it, because a professor with similar interest viewed my LinkedIn recently lol. 

I didn't get any info on which track or mentor I was accepted to or funding yet. DM me if you wanna connect :)

Yay! Congratulations! Yes, I would love to connect. I'll send you a message!

1 hour ago, PublicHealthShorty said:

What tracks did you mention in your application if it's OK to ask?

3 minutes ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

I just heard from someone on Reddit that they have an interview next week with JHU for the DrPh program. Anyone else heard? I wasn’t sure if they were interviewing or not, looks like they are. 

Nothing on my end. But I was under the impression interviews were only given on an as-needed basis, per previous years. Anyone know differently?

14 hours ago, Qantu said:

Btw, it looks like Boston University (PhD Epi) interviews have started to go out. I got an interview invitation today.

Congrats! Do you have an idea of when the interviews will be taking place?

24 minutes ago, PhDGorl24 said:

Congrats! Do you have an idea of when the interviews will be taking place?

Thanks! 

The email was specific to my case and it did't mention when all interviews will be done, but the last available date was in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps!

On 1/26/2024 at 5:37 PM, mdtl54 said:

Hi!

Does anyone know if all Columbia Epi PhD interview invitations have been sent out? Saw someone post earlier today that they got an interview but for a track different from the one I’m interested in. Thanks!

edit: is notification sent by a PI or admin?

Hi mdtl54,

I'm the one that posted the interview invite for substance use epi. I received an e-mail from the progam's director and academic coordinator with another application form for me to fill out, and was then invited to have an interview with the academic coordinator. So to answer your question, it's an admin interview.

Surprised to see that no one else has received any invites from Columbia!

Edited by UltimaCaster
added last sentence