PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

I think I just received my first interview of sorts, since I got an email today for a travel paid Visitation Day for UC Merced’s PhD in Public Health program next month! Happy to hear something since it’s been crickets since Dec 1st for me so far. Not a CEPH school or ranked, but affordable cost of living and closer proximity to CDPH is appealing to me since I am currently in So Cal.

Others: 

UCSD/SDSU JDP PhD in Epidemiology: pending

UCLA PhD in Epidemiology: pending 

Stanford PhD in Epidemiology and Clinical Research: pending

UNMC DrPH in Epidemiology: pending final review (passed preliminary review) 

On 1/29/2024 at 8:09 PM, Behavioralsci98 said:

Does anyone know how admissions work at WashU? I saw someone got an interview today but I’ve also seen in previous years people got accepted without interview.

I believe it depends on the PI(s) of interest whether or not an interview is needed, but they typically do interviews first

4 hours ago, LGDRPH said:

Hello. Anyone that interviewed for the DrPH at Harvard and heard back already? I have interviewed two weeks ago and haven't heard back yet, and wondering when they will inform about the outcome following the interview. 

Hey! I think there are three or four of us on this forum who had interviews. The deadline to complete round 1 was the 28th. My guess is that admissions would then decide on round 2 interviews this week. Anyone else who had an interview get a second?

Hi & sorry if I missed, but has anyone else been invited to the USC prospective student day, RSVP'd to be there in-person and subsequently heard nothing back? Given it's so close I'm getting a trifle concerned 🌝

Just had my interview- it was a panel of 6 faculty. here are the questions that were asked : tell us why this PhD in epidemiology, give us an example of a time you had to face something difficult and then regroup, what makes you think you’re ready for a PhD , give us an example of working in a interdisciplinary environment, give us an example of you being able to meet demands from multiple sources because PhD is fast paced, where do you see yourself in 25 years, who are two faculty you want to work with, can you see yourself in this city for 4 years of PhD? 
 Questions I asked : opportunities for collaboration across tracks? Stipend only two years, what about other years? 

bottom line- JUST BE YOURSELF and answer . Can be applied to any PhD program I’m sure they questions overlap a lot 

3 hours ago, Mamitis said:

Hey! I think there are three or four of us on this forum who had interviews. The deadline to complete round 1 was the 28th. My guess is that admissions would then decide on round 2 interviews this week. Anyone else who had an interview get a second?

Hi! I interviewed, haven't heard anything about a second. Fingers crossed for all of us!

2 hours ago, britshark said:

Hi & sorry if I missed, but has anyone else been invited to the USC prospective student day, RSVP'd to be there in-person and subsequently heard nothing back? Given it's so close I'm getting a trifle concerned 🌝

Same here. I didn't hear back for travel arrangements after RSVP. Wonder if I should start to book air tickets and hotels now or wait.

3 minutes ago, pbphd said:

Yale SBS doesn’t have funding this year? Does anyone know more about this? Saw it on the results page. 

@pbphd I think it's really unfair how that program works. I applied last year and the exact same thing happened. I think I remember them saying they only had funding for one student or something like that. 

20 minutes ago, Anairam said:

@pbphd I think it's really unfair how that program works. I applied last year and the exact same thing happened. I think I remember them saying they only had funding for one student or something like that. 

So unfair! Total waste of time and $100 or whatever the application fee was

Has anyone heard back from Harvard PHS yet? I had an interview on the 16th for epi track. Also applied to BU epidemiology but haven’t been invited for interview. Seems like some people have so I may be out of luck for that program. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:23 PM, Qantu said:

Btw, it looks like Boston University (PhD Epi) interviews have started to go out. I got an interview invitation today.

Was it a specific faculty member or a general interview invitation? 

On 1/30/2024 at 2:19 PM, PhDGorl24 said:

I may have missed it but has anyone heard anything from University of Michigan or Harvard University for Epi PhD program updates? 

Michigan sent out their interviews the third week of December and they were conducted two weeks ago in January. I had one. 

Haven't heard from Harvard though. 

On 1/30/2024 at 3:49 PM, mw1234 said:

Has anyone heard from Yale EMD? 

Nope! Still waiting, but a faculty told me there were only 1-3 spots. 

2 hours ago, JustinDee said:

Michigan sent out their interviews the third week of December and they were conducted two weeks ago in January. I had one. 

Haven't heard from Harvard though. 

Nope! Still waiting, but a faculty told me there were only 1-3 spots. 

yea lol. I emailed their committee member and they said if reviewers need clarifications on your application, they will reach out to schedule an interview. so im very confused about the application process, is an interview a mandatory step or not?

10 hours ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Just had my interview- it was a panel of 6 faculty. here are the questions that were asked : tell us why this PhD in epidemiology, give us an example of a time you had to face something difficult and then regroup, what makes you think you’re ready for a PhD , give us an example of working in a interdisciplinary environment, give us an example of you being able to meet demands from multiple sources because PhD is fast paced, where do you see yourself in 25 years, who are two faculty you want to work with, can you see yourself in this city for 4 years of PhD? 
 Questions I asked : opportunities for collaboration across tracks? Stipend only two years, what about other years? 

bottom line- JUST BE YOURSELF and answer . Can be applied to any PhD program I’m sure they questions overlap a lot 

Hey! Congrats on your interview! I got the same questions except for the last one, we run out of time. I couldn't ask anything because of the time. Do you mind sharing what they answered regarding the stipend for only 2 years?

1 minute ago, Qantu said:

Hey! Congrats on your interview! I got the same questions except for the last one, we run out of time. I couldn't ask anything because of the time. Do you mind sharing what they answered regarding the stipend for only 2 years?

They said that usually students end up being employed as RAs and TAs and can make extra money by tutoring etc. Basically it sounded like it’s very viable as an option and everyone does it and there’s nothing to worry about

edit: I was quite taken aback at 25 year projections ! Like ! 10 would’ve been good

Edited by Ikigai1896

4 hours ago, Nrmog said:

Has anyone heard back from Harvard PHS yet? I had an interview on the 16th for epi track. Also applied to BU epidemiology but haven’t been invited for interview. Seems like some people have so I may be out of luck for that program. 

I also had an interview for Harvard PHS around the same days but didn't hear anything else. Let's hang in there and hope for the best!

37 minutes ago, Ikigai1896 said:

They said that usually students end up being employed as RAs and TAs and can make extra money by tutoring etc. Basically it sounded like it’s very viable as an option and everyone does it and there’s nothing to worry about

edit: I was quite taken aback at 25 year projections ! Like ! 10 would’ve been good

Thanks a lot! This info is very helpful! 

I felt the same re the 25-year question XD