PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

12 minutes ago, PhDPursuit said:

Has anyone heard back from UCI PhD? 

Interviewed with them on the 31st and they said should hear back by March (Epidemiology)

Hi everyone - Congratulations to those who got in. Good luck to everyone awaiting decisions. 

I've applied to PhD positions in Social and Behavioral Sciences at both East and West coast schools. Received an early admit to SBS PhD at University of Maryland, however without decent funding. Waiting for decisions from other schools.

Has anyone interviewed for Harvard PHS SBS?

14 hours ago, beepboopbeep said:

@Qantu @manifesthb huge congrats! You should be so proud of yourselves. any insight into the Hopkins epi phd funding? During my interview they just vaguely repeated the info session line of a "modest stipend" for the first two years. Any details on what that means? And what opportunities there are for funding after those years?

13 hours ago, manifesthb said:

hi! stipend is 27,144 for the first two years but will increase if NIH increases their level. The other two years will require funding via teaching fellowship awards, research assistantships, positions on institutional and faculty training grants, and an individual NRSA.

Thanks beeboopbeep! 

Yes, the funding is a bit low, however, I haven't asked about work commitments yet. In my case, I was awarded a fellowship with the same amount explained before for the first two years. I am hoping there is a way to work on an RA position on top of the fellowship. Wil keep you updated. Btw, I have also seen a one-time $1,500 relocation grant that could cover extra expenses, if awarded.

37 minutes ago, pubhealth123 said:

I just got my acceptance letter to Emory - so exciting after a rejection after interview w/ Hopkins this morning. I am assuming that nobody has still heard an update from Brown Epi? No updates on my end to report there yet. 

Congrats! Still waiting for Brown epi!!

I applied to DrPH programs at UIC, Tulane, Hopkins, NYU, and SUNY Downstate for Summer/Fall 2024 entry. 

UIC DrPH: Accepted on 2/6, asked for an extension to 3/15 to respond, and they said that's fine (they told me numerous applicants have asked for extensions to consider the offer)

NYU DrPH: Have interview scheduled for 2/22

Tulane: No response yet, I was told they plan to release decisions the week of March 4th.

SUNY Downstate: Nothing yet; when I asked whether it was possible I could receive a decision by March 1st, they said, "it's possible"

Hopkins: No response yet, assuming decisions will come out March 1st or 2nd like they have in previous years

1 hour ago, SBS24 said:

Hi everyone - Congratulations to those who got in. Good luck to everyone awaiting decisions. 

I've applied to PhD positions in Social and Behavioral Sciences at both East and West coast schools. Received an early admit to SBS PhD at University of Maryland, however without decent funding. Waiting for decisions from other schools.

I'd like to second this -- has anyone interviewed for Havard PHS SBS post-application? It's the only Harvard PHS track I haven't seen much activity for and trying to gauge if there's any hope for getting in without an interview.

1 hour ago, SBS24 said:

Omg I got into Uni of Maryland College Park a few years back ago. Like you said, the funding was crap. I didn't go due to the funding. 

36 minutes ago, HippoEatingWatermelon said:

I'd like to second this -- has anyone interviewed for Havard PHS SBS post-application? It's the only Harvard PHS track I haven't seen much activity for and trying to gauge if there's any hope for getting in without an interview.

I haven't interviewed! Also have no idea what to make of that. I also reached out to faculty beforehand and was told that informal meetings were not allowed, but it seems like others were able to meet with prospective PIs beforehand.... so unclear! Fingers crossed for us both!! 

38 minutes ago, HippoEatingWatermelon said:

I saw some Epi acceptances today for Havard PHS. I was wondering if anyone has heard back for environmental health

People who applied to Harvard and have a Harvard Key/portal account: Is anyone else's portal glitching like wild? Mine has an error message in the the Admissions Decision Letter box, and the whole page has been flickering and reloading the entire day . . .

Trying not to read into it . . .

9 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

People who applied to Harvard and have a Harvard Key/portal account: Is anyone else's portal glitching like wild? Mine has an error message in the the Admissions Decision Letter box, and the whole page has been flickering and reloading the entire day . . .

That is so weird. My portal account has no change at all. Probably because I got rejected. Sending positive vibes for you as you can open your letter =D

4 minutes ago, Qantu said:

That is so weird. My portal account has no change at all. Probably because I got rejected. Sending positive vibes for you as you can open your letter =D

Dang it. I was hoping it was happening to everyone. That would give me weird comfort. Now I just don’t know what’s going on. Haha. Ah well. We shall see, in due course. 

17 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Is this for DrPH or PhD? I only have access to the application portal, I think, but I did have a Harvard key during an internship I did there several years ago. Wondering if I missed something?

1 hour ago, fromtheorytopractice said:

I applied to DrPH programs at UIC, Tulane, Hopkins, NYU, and SUNY Downstate for Summer/Fall 2024 entry. 

UIC DrPH: Accepted on 2/6, asked for an extension to 3/15 to respond, and they said that's fine (they told me numerous applicants have asked for extensions to consider the offer)

Tulane: No response yet, I was told they plan to release decisions the week of March 4th.

SUNY Downstate: Nothing yet; when I asked whether it was possible I could receive a decision by March 1st, they said, "it's possible"

Hopkins: No response yet, assuming decisions will come out March 1st or 2nd like they have in previous years

Exciting! I applied to many of these programs as well. For the UIC acceptance, when did you apply? 

1 hour ago, fromtheorytopractice said:

When did you apply to UIC? I haven't heard anything from them yet. I applied late Dec.

4 minutes ago, MimiNMe said:

Is this for DrPH or PhD? I only have access to the application portal, I think, but I did have a Harvard key during an internship I did there several years ago. Wondering if I missed something?

I’m talking about the DrPH. I think that the Harvard Key is the admissions portal for that program. There’s an Admissions Decision Letter box at the top left corner. Any other DrPH applicants know? (I could be missing something.)

27 minutes ago, EpiSurg said:

Long time lurker… for those who got accepted into Harvard’s PHS. Did you get an update on the portal or was it an email?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

I’m talking about the DrPH. I think that the Harvard Key is the admissions portal for that program. There’s an Admissions Decision Letter box at the top left corner. Any other DrPH applicants know? (I could be missing something.)

I applied to the PhD in PHS (SBS) once before and got an email that an update was posted and to check the application portal. Of course, when I got into my master’s program (another school), I applied to two different tracks and got one email flatly saying I was denied and another saying the check the portal. That one ended up being the admissions offer letter. So reading tea leaves may be pointless. Edit: just remembering that with the initial acceptance email I was instructed to create an account on another website which clued me in to the contents. Similar to my.harvard. 

Edited by MimiNMe