SSHRC 2011

transboundary

well, that's a big relief! many thanks, philosograd :)

I made the opposite error and chose September instead of May (on an MA award). I emailed SSHRC and they responded that start dates can be changed once you receive official word that you've received the award. Hope this helps.

The Waterloo grad office sent out emails today notifying applicants, and when I spoke to someone there, she said that they had received results from SSHRC yesterday, and then admitted that she may have jumped the gun a bit in notifying applicants already. So hang in there, those of you still waiting! :)

The Waterloo grad office sent out emails today notifying applicants, and when I spoke to someone there, she said that they had received results from SSHRC yesterday, and then admitted that she may have jumped the gun a bit in notifying applicants already. So hang in there, those of you still waiting! :)

Yes, this was also the 'vibe' I got with my notification. It seemed that my department wanted to let me know so that I could stop worrying (it is a very small department) but that no official word was supposed to be given. I hesitated even posting it on here, but then I thought about how we were all anxiously nail biting and figured I'd pass along the news.

I just found out my score...Category A - 25.7/30

Hi

I found out from my Graduate Studies Department today that I received a CGS! My second time applying - I applied last year and got wait listed. I received a MA SSHRC. I was wait listed for the MA, too; my peers received their notifications in May 2009 and their funds in Sept.; I found out I was put on a wait list in May of 2009 and they notified me in Jan of 2010 that I received one & my funds came in Feb.! - so hope for those of you that are put on the alternate list for MA anyway).

Discipline: Indigenous Studies

1st year PhD Program

2nd time applying

MA average: 93

4 peer reviewed publications (3 articles/1 co-edit of a university press book)

4 conference presentations (2 invited)

9 non-refereed contributions (articles/documentary/guest lectures)

2 RAs for SSHRC funded research

1 letter from my current supervisor and 1 letter from one of my current professors.

2 major external scholarships/a number of smaller ones

My proposal was significantly better than last year with more focus & clarity. I had a clear research question and ensured I pointed out how there were gaps in the current scholarship on my topic and how my research could fill those gaps. I had 3 professors give me feed back on the drafts of the proposal (I did at least 10 drafts too!). Hope the info helps someone!

My departmental assistant just got notified by SSHRC that I got SSHRC CGS MA. My letter hasn't arrived yet though. I kind of have to see it to believe it.

Discipline: Political Economy/ Political Studies

2nd year MA

2nd time applying

Undergrad average: 93% MA average: 94%

2 conference presentations (national and international)

TA/RA positions

2 letters from previous professors

1 major external scholarship, 2 major internal scholarships and a number of smaller ones

I guess that means other MA applicants should hear soon too!

Edited by sabb

Just called my department and was informed I won the SSHRC MA award too! :D They were surprised I hadn't received anything in the mail yet, seeing as many other applicants already have. I'm thinking I'll probably (hopefully) be receiving something sometime next week.

Best of luck to those of you still waiting!

Just called my department and was informed I won the SSHRC MA award too! :D They were surprised I hadn't received anything in the mail yet, seeing as many other applicants already have. I'm thinking I'll probably (hopefully) be receiving something sometime next week.

Best of luck to those of you still waiting!

Yey, congrats to you too! I just wish they would speed up those letters, would like to have something in my hands before I call my parents haha

Called my school and they said they haven't heard anything. However, the woman sounded hesitant and she said it should be "very, very soon." So I'm assuming they know but are not telling anyone as of yet.

I was also notified today that I have been awarded a SSHRC CGS. I haven't received the letter in the mail, but Grad Studies sent me a notification. I'm doing my MA in Psych btw.

That's awesome!

I'm apartment hunting in late June and planning on moving up mid-August. Great to know someone else in a similar situation. I look forward to seeing you around the IHPST!

Hi Groulxsome!

I will be starting at IHPST this fall as well! And I've also won a CGS award. When will you be making the jump to Toronto?

Best,

DS

I emailed both grad studies and my department. No one is admitting to knowing anything - grad studies says that they have not received word yet. However, if they are not supposed to tell students in advance of the letters being received, I can't blame them for not saying - even if they do know. Up until this week I thought I was a fairly patient person. :unsure:

Congrats to everyone who has confirmation of their award, good luck to those of us who haven't.

U of T-ers: SGS sent on the information to departments yesterday. The graduate secretary of my department told me that since SGS usually waits until after letters officially go out, departments don't usually bother contacting successful applicants. So call your departments!

I just found out I was successful in my application! YAY NOT BEING COMPLETELY BROKE!!!

It was posted on Twitter an hour ago (by SSHRC) that Master's letters had been mailed. On a Friday, lol! Looks like we'll all be hearing next week.

I saw the tweet too. It's nice to have an idea of when to check for the mail so I can stop running to the door every time i see the mailman.

I won SSHRC, but not OGS for my MA. Is this normal?

I wouldn't call it normal, but it happens. It is more likely that one would win an OGS rather than a SSHRC, but I have heard your case happening before.