SSHRC 2011

transboundary

Thank you for the information re: scoring. It seems like such a disconnect to see lower scores with funding and higher scores waitlisted or sent 'no' letters. I wonder if we'd be better off not knowing our scores, since they seem to be sub-committee-specific, and therefore, not particularly meaningful across categories.

I too send my condolences to those of you who were not successful this time around (and congratulations to those of you who were).

Greetings from Ottawa (where I am home for the summer),

I got my award letter late today in the post. It's also a CGS, and my score was 23.1. Four publications (although for two I had second authorship or lower). Three international conferences, two national, and a local. My MSc GPA was a 4.0 at the time of the application. I'm going to be entering my first year of PhD in the fall.

Congratulations to all of you that have heard!

No letters in Montreal yet, despite the small distance from Ottawa... For FQRSC, their website says that results will be posted before the end of the month...

End of the month is in four days! I spoke to someone at FQRSC early last week and she said the results would be sent by "courriel" either at the end of last week or early this week (i.e. today) at the latest. I was distracted at the time and didn't clarify whether the woman meant e-mail or snail mail. I'm now assuming it was snail mail and they are on their way, as I haven't heard anything by email... Looks like at the MA level, FQRSC will come before SSHRC, which I am just dying to hear about at this point and am really hoping that the people who say don't worry about MA once referred are correct!

No letters in Montreal yet, despite the small distance from Ottawa... For FQRSC, their website says that results will be posted before the end of the month...

I'm an external applicant, studying abroad in the U.K., and just received word that I was awarded 2 years of funding! Yipppeee!

My score was 20.3, I am currently in the second year of my DPhil in art history, no publications, 2 national conferences, several local conferences, dean's honour list for master's, and I hold an FQRSC doctoral award. The SSHRC will pay for my 4th & 5th year if need be.

Re: Dr_Law_Girl, while I'm currently in the U.K., my parents live near Montreal, so I had my letters sent to them. Hopefully you hear by the end of this week!

Good luck to all those still waiting! And for those who were unsuccessful, do NOT lose hope. This was my third SSHRC go-round. Your proposal only improves year after year. However, as we all know, this is all such a coin toss when it comes down to it. Such a harrowing experience....

In my experience with FQRSC, they email you a link to your file, which then contains a pdf copy of your acceptance/rejection letter. Same goes afterward for those on the waiting list. They're much more efficient than SSHRC!

End of the month is in four days! I spoke to someone at FQRSC early last week and she said the results would be sent by "courriel" either at the end of last week or early this week (i.e. today) at the latest. I was distracted at the time and didn't clarify whether the woman meant e-mail or snail mail. I'm now assuming it was snail mail and they are on their way, as I haven't heard anything by email... Looks like at the MA level, FQRSC will come before SSHRC, which I am just dying to hear about at this point and am really hoping that the people who say don't worry about MA once referred are correct!

I am front Montreal and received my answer today. Apparently they were mailed past tuesday.

I got the CGS for 3 years Ph. D in communication. Got a score of 20.9. I am a second year master student with a one year sshrc scholarship (over) 17.5k. One low level publication, 3 low level conferences, 1 international peer-reviewed conference paper. My score is good at master but not the best, quite average at ba.

I applied through my department and was classified second best, they pushed me back at the faculty (and definitely moved me up at the SSHRC).

Yay (for real)

So many CGS on the board, we don't quite represent the average results.

I had it. I live in Cote-des-neiges

No news yet my doctoral SSHRC grant in Toronto... which seems a bit odd because others have received news in Toronto already.

I have the same feeling than you veganovore but I don't think it means anything apart.... another day (and night) of waiting !!

I have the same feeling than you veganovore but I don't think it means anything apart.... another day (and night) of waiting !!

I'm in Toronto too and no news here.

Received (positive) news yesterday in Mississauga (I had SSHRC communications sent directly to my parents so I didn't have to wait for things to come all the way to the US of A; learned my lesson last year!)

20.7/30

Field: Education

Studying in the US

Wait listed twice, so third time's a charm!

i won a SSHRC!!

i am attending an american school for my PhD. i was given an award in the C class, which means you choose A (the CGS) or B (the SSHRC) depending upon which one you're eligible for. since i'm ineligible to hold the CGS, i'll be taking the SSHRC, four years of funding. so, i guess that means that someone with the SSHRC will get a CGS and someone on the waitlist will get a SSHRC.

my score was 22.4/30. i applied to the history/religious studies/dead languages (??) group. my letter was dated april 21, 2011. it arrived in the US (in pittsburgh, to be exact) this morning.

i was completing my masters in history at a US school at the time of my application. i had three conference presentations (one big international conference, one [canadian] national conference, and one small international [central american] conference) and no publications. i had a first year fellowship from my MA institution, one year of TAing, and the promise of a fourth year fellowship from my (now) PhD institution (same school but technically different programs). close to a 4.0 GPA but not quite (3.9 something) for grad classes, a 3.5ish GPA for undergrad. i had already done research abroad for my MA, and i would be using some of the same sources/archives for my dissertation, but it was/is going to be a different project than my MA. so, first-hand experience with the materials i need, but not an expansion/rehash of my current work.

hope this info helps, and congratulations to everyone else receiving good news!

.... yay!!

I’m from Montreal. I just received the letter and it was a successful one. My score is 28.7/30

The letter wasn’t as thick as I thought it would be.

Would love to know what qualifies such an incredible score!

Congrats to everyone so far.

I’m from Montreal. I just received the letter and it was a successful one. My score is 28.7/30

The letter wasn’t as thick as I thought it would be.

Super score! What discipline?

FQRSC results are up, for MA at least.

I scored 88% (17.5 on 20) and only ranked 7th out of the 11 applications before my committee. They gave out 3 this round, so I didn't get one and I doubt that they will make it down to no. 7 on the second or third rounds. Seems like I was up against some ridiculously stiff competition.

I changed my topic between applying for SSHRC and FQRSC, and I think my SSHRC application was much stronger, and I got referred to the national competition, so I am not completely discouraged. That said, it is a little disappointing and, not having heard from SSHRC yet, it would have been nice to have something else guaranteed. Oh well, moving on.