SSHRC 2011

transboundary

Come on "dear self", it's "breezy": he/she's at RMC doing his undergrad and he's thinking about going to Carleton for his MA. Everybody knows that, even the 11 guests that are lurking as I write this post.

Sorry, useless post :)

It's like in a hostage situation. You want to keep the conversation going...

Bahaha, it's actually "she," and I've been accepted into Carleton and RMC, but I need the SSHRC so I can go to Carleton (DRDC will automatically give me a scholarship if I stay at RMC). And I'm pretty sure if it was a hostage situation, scholarships are probably not the best choice of conversation. ;)

Come on "dear self", it's "breezy": he/she's at RMC doing his undergrad and he's thinking about going to Carleton for his MA. Everybody knows that, even the 11 guests that are lurking as I write this post.

lol. I'm pretty excited for you doctoral candidates to start receiving your letters because that means the MA ones are on the wayyyyyyyyy.

Can't believe we're nearing late-April. Time flies. Before you know it it'll be Sept and I'll be back in school :o

No its not a hoax... its because my picture was published with it and there was no way of changing it. They told me on the phone that letters are being sent out today.

Ah, OK. Sorry to doubt you. But...it seems that your picture is still up.

How very remiss of me not to cyberstalk some other poster and all of their entries dated before I joined the site. I'm really just checking in to get a head's up on when the letters are dropping, since which continent I end up on next year depends on how this turns out.

Obviously you are overly sensitive on this subject, ChanEcon, because this response is very garbled, especially for one with a first sentence asserting yourself as purveyor over what may and may not be said on public forums. Good for you, Monsieur King Pin of the gradcafe forum.

First off: by 'SSHRC people' who 'forward,' I presume you are referring either to the members of your own graduate studies' committee that A-list you, or to whomever is involved in the first round of SSHRC cuts for external applicants in the early winter? It's terribly unclear. And how exactly does the statement "as long as the SSHRC people thought that whatever you were doing (*had*) the slightest application to business, you were forwarded... lots of people outside of business got that money" argue for proportional distribution? Because apparently english, history, geography, philosophy, classics, psychology, etc... majors everywhere should cater exclusively to industry and business related applications when considering what to focus on for their thesis work. Apparently that should be the sole concern of all of the applied AND basic research done in the entire gamut of departments in social science/humanities-related academia.

Obviously it's a worthwhile subject area... but come on.

Anyway, sorry for the ass response, but this is the second post of mine you have (inarticulately, I might add) shat on. Get another hobby.

My original post was intended to be somewhat cheeky and self-depricating and to lend support to someone in a business related field who was stressed about their application. If you talk to (most any) philosophy major, you'd see self-deprication is a significant part of our (rather limited) stodgy and growchy charm... along with wearing tweed blazers and correcting other people's grammar...

In any case, I am also in Ottawa for the summer, and so will likely be one of the first to get my letter next week. If that does happen, I will post to let the rest of you know when it arrives. Good luck to all of you!

Let's not get started on that. It was two years ago, and there are lots of people outside of business that got that money. As long as the SSHRC people thought that whatever you were doing at the slightest application in business, you were forwarded. Sorry, I am a bit oversensitive on that issue.

The Easter bunny will probably bring the SSHRC letters. On that note, Happy Easter to everybody!

Edited by dear self

dear self,

1) i don't see how ChanEcon shat on your posts. i read em back... i don't see it.

2) sounds like, if anyone, you're the one that is overly sensitive.

this is a very stressful time of year for any of us, regardless of where we are in the process of graduate school, but... take a couple deep breaths or something.

This forum was respectable until about page 14. Why don't we just stick to what it's for, information and not petty personal attacks - on either side. Hopefully, it can stay that way.

She is right, get a room.

I just hope everyone is successful at getting their scholarships, I'm sure everyone has worked super hard towards them. Happy Easter, and good luck everyone! (Unless you take an award that I could have gotten, then I don't like you anymore. wink.gif) Just kidding, good luck, and keep everyone informed if you hear anything pertinent. biggrin.gif

She is right, get a room.

Yes, and I'd like to point out - it's very easy for meanings to be misconstrued in this medium. I suspect the initial misunderstanding stemmed from a real attempt to be supportive, in the true spirit of this blog.

This forum was respectable until about page 14. Why don't we just stick to what it's for, information and not petty personal attacks - on either side. Hopefully, it can stay that way.

I agree. Forum posts are easily misconstrued. I have noticed a great spirit of support amongst post-ers and appreciated it. Wishing everyone best of luck this week with sshrc doctoral announcements. fingers crossed all round.

Yes, and I'd like to point out - it's very easy for meanings to be misconstrued in this medium. I suspect the initial misunderstanding stemmed from a real attempt to be supportive, in the true spirit of this blog.

I agree. Forum posts are easily misconstrued. I have noticed a great spirit of support amongst post-ers and appreciated it. Wishing everyone best of luck this week with sshrc doctoral announcements. fingers crossed all round.

Ditto.

Good luck to all applicants !

<3 That is exactly what is going through my head right now... oh Debord...

McGill, Concordia, UQAM or UDEM ?

I study media at UDEM

McGill, Concordia, UQAM or UDEM ?

I study media at UDEM

I will be at Concordia for the Joint Communication PhD, with the Creation, Design & Practices stream.

I see you are already there!

I guess I should change my info as that was before I decided on a school.

Edited by raise cain

I will be at Concordia for the Joint Communication PhD, with the Creation, Design & Practices stream.

I see you are already there!

It's a mistake. I will begin in September. So wemay attend the same class at some point. I find the choices to be a littledeceiving (in regards to my orientation which tends toward technologies). Ifyou got a little knowledge of the French language I could not insist enough onfollowing Brian Massumi's class this fall. It could fit great with yourinterests. (He accepts works in English).

It's a mistake. I will begin in September. So wemay attend the same class at some point. I find the choices to be a littledeceiving (in regards to my orientation which tends toward technologies). Ifyou got a little knowledge of the French language I could not insist enough onfollowing Brian Massumi's class this fall. It could fit great with yourinterests. (He accepts works in English).

Sorry for the strange missing spaces. I don't know where it comes from.

[And know I imagine all the people checking frantically for new posts: they are now falling on this little conversation, sad, sad.]

Sorry for the strange missing spaces. I don't know where it comes from.

[And know I imagine all the people checking frantically for new posts: they are now falling on this little conversation, sad, sad.]

It would be great to move our conversation to the "Concordia" section I started and no one replied to ;)

As you seem to know Concordia well and I'm moving from Toronto.

It would be great to move our conversation to the "Concordia" section I started and no one replied to ;)

As you seem to know Concordia well and I'm moving from Toronto.

I am there (and here also).

I'm pleased to be the first person to post with the good news that my letter arrived today! (I'm located in Toronto.)

Even more pleased that my application was successful, and I got a two-year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. (I'm entering the third year of my PhD, so I was uneligible for a CGS.) Bit disappointed that it isn't the full three years I applied for but that's just my over-pronounced sense of grad student entitlement talking! Free money!

Best of luck to everyone else.

Edited by Felan

Congratulations Felan! Very good news indeed, and nice to know that the results have left the building!

I'm pleased to be the first person to post with the good news that my letter arrived today! (I'm located in Toronto.)

Even more pleased that my application was successful, and I got a two-year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. (I'm entering the third year of my PhD, so I was uneligible for a CGS.) Bit disappointed that it isn't the full three years I applied for but that's just my over-pronounced sense of grad student entitlement talking! Free money!

Best of luck to everyone else.

Congratulations Felan! Very good news indeed, and nice to know that the results have left the building!

I'm just astounded that the results are actually on time this year. I've applied for the last four years and they've never been this prompt!