SSHRC 2011

transboundary

This is the mail I sent SSHRC:

«J'ai visité le site web du CRSH aujourd'hui. Je n'ai pas trouvé la date de diffusion des résultats du concours de bourses pour le doctorat.

Je me demandais si vous pouviez m'indiquer la procédure pour faire connaître aux étudiants le résultat des comités d'évaluation et le moment où je devrais connaître leur décision.

En vous remerciant à l'avance de toute information que vous pourriez me communiquer à cet égard.»

Loose translation:

«I surfed on the SSHRC Web site today. I couldn't find the results of the doctoral awards.

I was wondering if you could tell me how students will be notified of the results and when I will know the decision regarding my application.

Thanks in advance.»

SSHRC answered my mail.

«Bonjour, Les résultats vont être postés à la fin du mois d'avril 2011.»

Translation:

«Hi, resultat will be posted/mailed at the end of April 2011.»

«Postés» could either mean «posted on the Web site» or «sent by mail», although the latter seems more likely.

Edited by mgquebec

For those waiting for FQRSC as well (MA). I just called. The final decisions were made on Friday. Emails will be going out at the end of this week or early next week at the latest.

FUCKING HELL ! Maybe sooner than SSHRC ! (Even if I am a Ph. D applicant, I know it means the same time (MA / Ph. D) for FQRSC)

Pardon my french.

For those waiting for a PhD FQRSC, I have been told by email that offers will be made next week. This is the same answer I received last monday.

Indeed.

I wasn't eligible to apply for the MA SSHRC. I hope that doesn't my hinder my chances at the PhD SSHRC too much, although I've heard First Year PhD SSHRC's are incredibly difficult to obtain unless you're a star. Is this true?

My first time applying for SSHRC was in the first year of my PhD. My supervisor did tell me that it was uncommon for first years to win SSHRCs, but I did anyway. :-) The SSHRC statistics seem to indicate that it's pretty even across the board (in terms of which years win awards).

About stars. If don't feel like a star going into your PhD, you should reconsider. If you feel like a star during of after your first year, you should seek psychological help.

Ahaha! Some days I feel like a supah-star, other days I want to hide under a rock.

Oh my god, let's not speak too soon here about release dates! A postal strike during all of this would be HORRIBLE!!!!

Good thing SSHRC results are going to be released 'on-time' this year. Postal workers set to strike May 24th.

Edited by catwoman_80

No comments since yesterday! That can only mean one of two things:

1. Everyone has relaxed and settled down in anticipation.

2. Everyone is biting their nails in a fetal position under their mail box.

Over the past two weeks I have gradually felt myself transition from #1, to now being dangerously close to #2.

Edited by Dave_WLU

Yes, I don't think there's a lot of #1 going on at this stage of the game! Sigh...

Over the past two weeks I have gradually felt myself transition from #1, to now being dangerously close to #2.

Have courage, man! Organizational behaviour sounds business-ey, so you are in the Harper-favoured subgroup ;).

I vote someone else call SSHRC to see what progress is being made on the mail out. Any takers :)?

I just called a moment ago and asked about the MA scholarships. I was told they're probably being sent next week, or the first week of May at the latest. If they send out the PhD letters first, I guess that means people will start hearing pretty soon!

I just called a moment ago and asked about the MA scholarships. I was told they're probably being sent next week, or the first week of May at the latest. If they send out the PhD letters first, I guess that means people will start hearing pretty soon!

thanks for the MA update!

Guys... TODAY IS THE DAY!

I just called SSHRC and they confirmed that PHD LETTERS ARE GOING OUT TODAY!!!! BEGIN CHECKING YOUR MAILBOXES NEXT WEDNESDAY (Canada Post workers are off on Friday and Monday). I live in Ottawa so I'll probably be one of the first to get it!

This is WONDERFUL news indeed! I'm on the West Coast so I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get anything until much later next week... either way, even if I got a BIG fat "NO", at least the dreadful waiting game's over!

Blah-conflicting information once again!!! I sent an email this morning asking specifically about Ph.D. award results, and this is the message I received:

Hi,

The result letters will be sent by regular mail on April 26, 2011.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Fellowships and Institutional Grants Division, quoting the reference number above.

Thank you,

Fellowships and Institutional Grants Division

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council

Fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">Hopefully we will have some indication from our grad studies contacts with regards to the "news" before the letters are sent/arrive.

Drat! Thanks for the update, Maple27. I guess this means we'll be waiting over Easter. Sigh...

Blah-conflicting information once again!!! I sent an email this morning asking specifically about Ph.D. award results, and this is the message I received:

Hi,

The result letters will be sent by regular mail on April 26, 2011.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Fellowships and Institutional Grants Division, quoting the reference number above.

Thank you,

Fellowships and Institutional Grants Division

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council

Fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">Hopefully we will have some indication from our grad studies contacts with regards to the "news" before the letters are sent/arrive.

Sigh is right!!! Based on the earlier post suggesting that letters were being sent out today, perhaps the email response they sent me meant that we will begin hearing on Tuesday :) Either way we should hopefully begin hearing results by this time next week. Will be a long week.......if we look on the bright side at this moment we all still have a chance! GOOD LUCK to everyone!

In a way, it's a relief to know the wait will soon be over.... in another, it's frustating to know that the answer is in custody of Post Canada, somewhere between Ottawa and our homes !

Have courage, man! Organizational behaviour sounds business-ey, so you are in the Harper-favoured subgroup ;).

Let's not get started on that. It was two years ago, and there are lots of people outside of business that got that money. As long as the SSHRC people thought that whatever you were doing at the slightest application in business, you were forwarded. Sorry, I am a bit oversensitive on that issue.

The Easter bunny will probably bring the SSHRC letters. On that note, Happy Easter to everybody!