SSHRC 2011

transboundary

I wasn't eligible to apply for the MA SSHRC. I hope that doesn't my hinder my chances at the PhD SSHRC too much, although I've heard First Year PhD SSHRC's are incredibly difficult to obtain unless you're a star. Is this true?

I wasn't eligible to apply for the MA SSHRC. I hope that doesn't my hinder my chances at the PhD SSHRC too much, although I've heard First Year PhD SSHRC's are incredibly difficult to obtain unless you're a star. Is this true?

I know people who got financing for the first year, and they weren't stars. I missed the scholarship last year (I am now in first year) by 0.1, and I am not a star. Obviously, it's easier if you're a star. The later you apply the more you have to show for yourself, but the more is expected. The scholarship attribution is pretty much equal across years. SSHRC has some stats on that.

Best of luck!

Thank you ChanEcon and paperweights! I haven't received anything since acknowledgment of my submission in December. Sometimes I vaguely remember getting something in the mail about either the OGS or SSHRC in February, but I can't find anything in my room so I might be making this up. Glad to hear it's normal not to hear anything yet.

I was a direct applicant last year for the Masters award. After I submitted my application I didn't hear anything- at all- until I got a letter in the mail in late May letting me know I had been chosen. So, if nothing has changed from last year, direct applicants are totally in the dark until official confirmation. At this point there's nothing you can do to change the result so it's probably best to attempt to distract yourself and not obsess.

Edited by n31290

I know people who got financing for the first year, and they weren't stars. I missed the scholarship last year (I am now in first year) by 0.1, and I am not a star. Obviously, it's easier if you're a star. The later you apply the more you have to show for yourself, but the more is expected. The scholarship attribution is pretty much equal across years. SSHRC has some stats on that.

Best of luck!

Yes, according to the stats from the last competition, first-year Ph.D. applicants have about a 45% success rate (once they've passed on to Ottawa) and that number increases a few percentage points with each year, up to about 53% for fourth-years (I'm going by memory here, so that might be a bit off). As you can see, chances improve a bit, but it's not an enormous or dramatic difference. Most days I don't feel like a star, especially when comparing myself to other users on this site. But hopefully we'll find out what SSHRC thinks soon--like next week. And whoever gets the message in the mail first, please inform us who are a bit further from the epicentre as soon as possible!

About stars. If don't feel like a star going into your PhD, you should reconsider. If you feel like a star during of after your first year, you should seek psychological help.

lol

About stars. If don't feel like a star going into your PhD, you should reconsider. If you feel like a star during of after your first year, you should seek psychological help.

Haha! This is true. I definitely feel like a star (still!), but I don't have an MA SSHRC by my side because my undergrad was atrocious so therefore I was unable to apply. I guess that's what I meant. =)

Totally. The last days have not been very productive. The coming week doesn't appear to be better.

Geez. It's monday. Is anyone else crawling out of their skin in anticipation to possibly hear this week? Or is this just me...

Edited by mgquebec

Let's hope they're too busy licking envelopes filled with good news for all of us! And no, it's not just you, dear self. I'm having heart palpitations!

just tried. twice. they are not picking up at the moment...

I called this morning, because I have a deadline to meet to notify my schools whether I accept or not, plus my military chain of command needs to know asap so I can get processed in time.When I called a few weeks ago the secretary said that they were meeting in mid-April, and she said today we would not be receiving any notifications until we get our results by mail by the end of April or early May. So, I'm really hoping it's soon, otherwise I'm going to have to turn down my schools, both of which are quite prestigious. :(

Let's hope, indeed! Thanks for the reassurance, all of you!

breezie, are you an MA applicant or PhD?

I called this morning, because I have a deadline to meet to notify my schools whether I accept or not, plus my military chain of command needs to know asap so I can get processed in time.When I called a few weeks ago the secretary said that they were meeting in mid-April, and she said today we would not be receiving any notifications until we get our results by mail by the end of April or early May. So, I'm really hoping it's soon, otherwise I'm going to have to turn down my schools, both of which are quite prestigious. :(

Also, not to add any more strength to the windmill rumor but a teacher close to me told me that the SSHRC administrators met last week. From what I understand, it was a preliminary step of approval, budget-wise. But I don't know at what level that meeting took place. Not very useful, I know, but I figure every little bit of information is worth sharing.