SSHRC 2011

transboundary

Congrats! I'm in Ottawa and my mailman only comes later in the afternoon... so I went to check the mailbox anyways and there is nothing in there yet. What did the envelope look like (size, thickness, etc)?

Was there a score on your letter? If so, do you mind sharing?

I'm pleased to be the first person to post with the good news that my letter arrived today! (I'm located in Toronto.)

Even more pleased that my application was successful, and I got a two-year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. (I'm entering the third year of my PhD, so I was uneligible for a CGS.) Bit disappointed that it isn't the full three years I applied for but that's just my over-pronounced sense of grad student entitlement talking! Free money!

Best of luck to everyone else.

I'm pleased to be the first person to post with the good news that my letter arrived today! (I'm located in Toronto.)

Even more pleased that my application was successful, and I got a two-year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. (I'm entering the third year of my PhD, so I was uneligible for a CGS.) Bit disappointed that it isn't the full three years I applied for but that's just my over-pronounced sense of grad student entitlement talking! Free money!

Congrats Falen !!! I think you are the same Falen in ComCult yes? :)

Great News!!!! a little scary at the same time :unsure: Our mail also comes in the afternoon, but I will be out until about 4pm......Had thoughts of setting up a chair by the mailbox for the rest of week (our mailbox is in a cluster) ;)

Congratulations! Hopefully this means the letters will be arriving out west by the end of the week.

CONGRATS! That's exciting news, I too am very impressed that they're actually on time this year. I'm now eagerly awaiting my mail, though like many others out West we're probably not going to hear until the end of the week. <holds breath in anticipation>

Congrats to those who are successful! Looks like us MA students are still going to have to wait for a bit.

Ugh, I hope not. The suspense is driving me insane.

congratulations. just curious, did the letter come in a large envelope?

Edited by Ad175

For those who are announcing their results, could you please provide additional info? This would be immensely useful to future applicants (i.e., number of referred publications, conference presentations, GPA, year of study, program, number of time you've applied before, etc).

Thanks!

I have also just received an envelope and the news was good news, what relief and excitement!

The envelope was regular size but it was thick, I'm in the A category and my score was 18.5/30 (whatever that means).

I received a doctoral award and I am going into my 2nd year of studies. This was my first year applying. Hope this info helps; the wait won't be much longer for you guys, hang in there!

Good luck to all!

For those who are announcing their results, could you please provide additional info? This would be immensely useful to future applicants (i.e., number of referred publications, conference presentations, GPA, year of study, program, number of time you've applied before, etc).

Thanks!

And how many pubs did you have when you applied?

I have also just received an envelope and the news was good news, what relief and excitement!

The envelope was regular size but it was thick, I'm in the A category and my score was 18.5/30 (whatever that means).

I received a doctoral award and I am going into my 2nd year of studies. This was my first year applying. Hope this info helps; the wait won't be much longer for you guys, hang in there!

Good luck to all!

FYI, my letter says that 1907 applications were forwarded by Unis to SSHRC, and that the Council made offered 1085 awards.

One could assume those numbers are only for PhD applicants, right?

Congrats Falen !!! I think you are the same Falen in ComCult yes? :)

Yeah that's me!

For anyone wondering, I'm a second year PhD in Communication and Culture at York, applied twice before as an MA and twice before as a PhD, all unsuccessful, my score was 21.7/30, with high A GPA, 1 pub, three previous OGS, several internal graduate awards and scholarships, twenty or so conference papers, three years TA experience, and one RAship. Honestly though I think good references and a solid proposal are more important than any of that for the SSHRC crapshoot.

I HAVE BEEN SCREAMING OMG FOR THE PAST 5 MINUTES AND RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS! I GOT A Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships!!!!!!

2ND year PhD (going into 3rd)

score of 20.7/30

1 book chapter published, several conference presentations

university award (highest GPA in undergrad in my department)

Former OGS recipient during MA

Got my SSHRC results today in Toronto- score of 23.3/30, which gives me a CGS, woo hoo!!!

I'm going into my first year PhD with one first author publication, one conference presentation and a handful of posters. I basically spent all of September on that proposal though. I was forwarded on for the Vanier but didn't get it- this was a pretty sweet consolation prize. Good luck to everyone!!! :D

Good news in Ottawa too - 18.5/30, which qualified me for an award in the "A category". Seemed like a low score to me, although I'll be in my first year of a PhD in September, so have no familiarity with the scoring process. Won a A Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral - three years of funding.

-won OGS and SSHRC at MA level

-two publications

-zero conference presentations(!)

-two RA-ships

-several internal scholarships during undergrad and at MA-level

-an undergraduate award for a paper

As Felan said, this is a bit of a SSHRC crap-shoot, so you just never know. Good luck to all...!