SSHRC 2011

transboundary

Thanks a bunch, philosograd and Dave_WLU! :)

Hmm, I saw that I also have to submit my Notice of Award to my university. Would it be okay to scan and print the copy that SSHRC sent me, or do they want the original copy?

Activation forms are in the Award Holder's Guide under forms, but to make your life easy:

http://www.sshrc-crs...laires-eng.aspx

Edit: Philosograd is a bit quicker on the take than I am.

A scanned copy will be ok. I brought my original copy in and the receptionist said "I'm assuming you don't want to send this one in, so I'll photocopy it for you so you can keep the original".

Congrats!! Sorry but to clarify did you get a letter from SSHRC or did you hear from your department?

Hi Paperweights_ , I received a letter from SSHRC yesterday.

I'm in the greater van area too and I heard today as well (letter from SSHRC). yay!

side note: for those who commented earlier, was anyone able to successfully change the start date of their award once they received the letter?

I requested a 'change of start date' yesterday in my acceptance email. I'll post the response when I get it.

Edit: I just received confirmation of my acceptance and a note saying my request has been forwarded to the Fellowships department where it will be answered in the order in which it was received.

Edited by Philosograd

hi jerriblank,

i haven't heard back from sshrc yet about changing the start date. however, when i dropped off the forms today at my dean's office, the awards rep said it happens quite frequently. she specifically mentioned that it shouldn't be a problem at all. huge relief! just email sshrc and inform your grad dean's office.

pomodoro

p.s. congratulations!

I'm in the greater van area too and I heard today as well (letter from SSHRC). yay!

side note: for those who commented earlier, was anyone able to successfully change the start date of their award once they received the letter?

I e-mailed my confirmation to SSHRC about a week ago. I got an automatic notification indicating that they got my letter and that it would be answered in the order that it was received, but I never received any other response. Is this normal? I hate to e-mail them again asking about it, since it'll just worsen the backlog of e-mails they have to go through, but I'm paranoid. I really don't want to decline OGS until I get a confirmation e-mail from sshrc.

Edited by avsilver

I e-mailed my confirmation to SSHRC about a week ago. I got an automatic notification indicating that they got my letter and that it would be answered in the order that it was received, but I never received any other response. Is this normal? I hate to e-mail them again asking about it, since it'll just worsen the backlog of e-mails they have to go through, but I'm paranoid. I really don't want to decline OGS until I get a confirmation e-mail from sshrc.

i emailed the day i got my letter (monday) to accept, asking them for a reply to confirm they received it. after the immediate auto-reply, i got a personal reply the next day that they had received the email and put a copy into my file. so yes, i think you should email again and ask for confirmation, unless you emailed it on, say, Friday and in that case i'd wait a few more days.

Edited by n31290

• 2 weeks later...

that's strange. perhaps it's case sensitive? copied straight from my email: Fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

if that fails, try: scholfin@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca - i've received a response back using that address to change the date of my award.

best of luck! let us know if it works.

pomodoro

Can someone confirm the email address that you're supposed to send your acceptance notification to? fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca bounced...

Thanks!

For those wondering what payment dates, I had the first third of my CGS forwarded to my account this morning. I've never seen this much money in my account!

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky you! Mine is being paid to me in 12 equal monthly installments. Wish I could get it in thirds like you.

I always feel that the payment terms should be standardized. To get it in 3 payments instead of 12 would be specially helpful for those looking to pay off student loans. Besides, if the university does get it in 3 payments but only pays us in 12, I can't help but feel that they are investing my money on the side for a few extra bucks lol

This is getting ridiculous... got word two months ago that we got the award, and still haven't seen a penny of it, even though I sent my payment activation papers to SSHRC and the university within mere minutes of opening my letter....

I always feel that the payment terms should be standardized. To get it in 3 payments instead of 12 would be specially helpful for those looking to pay off student loans. Besides, if the university does get it in 3 payments but only pays us in 12, I can't help but feel that they are investing my money on the side for a few extra bucks lol