UCSB anyone?

Loxias44

In searching through the results, I've noticed a FEW people indicating acceptance or rejection to UCSB, but I'm wondering if any more people have heard? UCSB has thousands of grad students, and I know they're not all on this forum, but there's gotta be at least a FEW more that have heard, right?

Is it a good or a bad thing that I haven't heard a yay or nay yet? I've seen a number of rejections from as early as February, but the fact that I haven't gotten one yet -- is that a good thing? Just feelin' the paranoia just like everyone else...

I have been accepted to UCSB for social psyc and I was contacted at the end of January for a phone interview and had a recruiting visit at the beginning of march and was accepted shortly after. I dont know which program you are applying for, but my impression is that most people who have been accepted have been informed and most who have been rejected have also been informed, so perhaps you are waitlisted or you will hear something soon. Good luck!

I was accepted to UCSB Mechanical Engineering PhD at the beginning of February with full funding. First it was only an unofficial email from the head of the selection committee, a few weeks later I received the official acceptance letter in the mail. From what I heard UCSB ME has about 15-20 grad/PhD students this year.

Yeah--still waiting :)

I heard back from the Grad secretary and was told that admissions decisions were still being made and as soon as a decision had been made, I'd be informed via the website. Slight relief because that means I shouldn't have been assuming that no news was bad news and that I just need to continue waiting.

I'm on spring break now and am leaving for Orlando with a school group in a week -- I REALLY hope that I hear something back by then. I'm also supposed to meet with my principal this morning to discuss next year..... Not looking forward to breaking the news that I (hopefully!!! cross your fingers!) might not be back next year...

Of course, this news hasn't stopped me from checking my email every 30 seconds or the website every other minute... :-D

I just wanted to add to the list of those who have not heard! I applied for the Cultural Studies MA and I have not heard ANYTHING from them but I assume we will hear by the end of March at least? It is very unlikely that I will be attending there at this point since I got into my first choice, but I would still like to know either way!

As a UC undergraduate (Irvine) and hopeful graduate student (LA), I'm not at all surprised by the clogged streamline of admissions decisions. The UC system is overloaded in every way possible and financial aid is terrible to deal with. I squirm every time I need to see the cashier, registrar, or financial aid people. Obviously it still has not prevented me from staying in the UC system and I'm currently waiting for an admissions reply in LA. With CA's tight budget, it won't be long before fees skyrocket like gas prices (it's in the beginning stages). Good luck to everyone

So here it is: April 1st. I STILL haven't heard a thing from UCSB...

As I've mentioned in previous posts on UCSB, I was in contact with a professor there who gave me some good insight into my chances of being accepted, but this was all back in September and October. I went through the whole application process and got everything in. I was initially told that I might hear from him, unofficially, as early as February, but probably wouldn't hear about funding until March or April. I was ok with that.

I emailed him last on February 13th to discuss a recommendation issue that had come up. One of my recommenders had either failed to send the recommendation or it had been lost in transit. I tried for over a month to get into contact with him (I know his wife outside of academia) and was unable to. My email was asking whether it would be a good idea to get another recommender or not -- I was told to not worry about it and that the admissions process was moving very slowly, and there was nothing I could do to help speed it up.

I decided then and there that I would give him space and not pester him. Since then, I have emailed the grad secretary only once asking when decisions might be made -- this was in mid March. He responded saying that they were still making decisions and I would be notified once a decision had been made. I finally emailed the prof again yesterday asking when I might expect to hear the results of my application as I have to let me current employer know if I'll be returning next year or not. Haven't heard back yet...

Something else I'm curious about: On the UCSB website, it says that there is a 4/15 deadline for accepting offers of admission. Is there a chance that there will be an extension to that deadline for people that don't hear back until two weeks before the deadline? I only ask because should I get an offer of acceptance, unless it's fully funded and it's a no brainer, I really have to carefully look at finances and ascertain whether it's a viable option to study there. I can't put much more debt on myself and there's really a lot to look at to see if it's an option. I COULD do all that in a couple weeks time, but I'd really like more time to think about things before I make a big decision like that...

I heard back this morning from the prof I'd been talking to. He told me that they'd made an offer to another applicant, but that he or she had been stringing them a long for quite some time. Should that person decline, then a spot would be open, but it didn't look like there was a great chance of that happening. If anyone knows this person, tell them to decline! :-D

So, I guess I'm "unofficially" wait listed...