Writing a Recommendation FOR a Professor

elleblum

One of my professors, and close friends is being nominated for a teaching award, and I was asked to provide a recommendation. I refer to my professor by her first name, however is it more appropriate to refer to her by Professor X in the letter?

Thanks for your input!

It probably depends on how (un)official this teaching award and/or the awarding body (Students' Union? University?) are.

I'd say go with the full name.

One of my professors, and close friends is being nominated for a teaching award, and I was asked to provide a recommendation. I refer to my professor by her first name, however is it more appropriate to refer to her by Professor X in the letter?

Thanks for your input!

It probably depends on how (un)official this teaching award and/or the awarding body (Students' Union? University?) are.

I'd say go with the full name.

I did this for a professor of mine, and I handled it by giving the full name in the first use of it and going with "Dr. so and so" afterwards. I felt this was appropriate because it conveyed my respect for this individual.

So - start with "I am writing on behalf of Dr. Jonathan Harker, an English professor specializing in Vampire Studies here at No-Name University" and then after that, just "Dr. Harker is..." "Dr. Harker does..." "Dr. Harker impresses..." etc. etc.

I always call my professor by her name, but when I hadtp write a letter for her, she was strictly Professor X. Even when professors write recommendations, they [often] refer to their students as Ms./Mr. X. It just sounds more professional and it's not like it will hurt anything.