Contacting professors?

clashingtime

So, I've been considering doing this for a few weeks now. At my top choice grad school, there is one prof who has work and interests which overlap perfectly with mine. I had planned on introducing myself and mentioning my research interests, mention how I had read a few articles they had written and looked over their CV and research interests and saw that our research interests overlapped in quite a few places, mention which program I'm applying for and when, and asking if they were planning on taking on grad students.

I'm not really sure if I should do it, because I've heard you can either make a good impression, or it can totally backfire and bite you in the butt. I wasn't planning on listing off all my achievements, or kissing his ass and gushing over how brilliant and insightful his work is- I just wanted to ask him some questions about his research, and just generally make myself known.

Is this a good idea, or should I skip it?

So, I've been considering doing this for a few weeks now. At my top choice grad school, there is one prof who has work and interests which overlap perfectly with mine. I had planned on introducing myself and mentioning my research interests, mention how I had read a few articles they had written and looked over their CV and research interests and saw that our research interests overlapped in quite a few places, mention which program I'm applying for and when, and asking if they were planning on taking on grad students.

I'm not really sure if I should do it, because I've heard you can either make a good impression, or it can totally backfire and bite you in the butt. I wasn't planning on listing off all my achievements, or kissing his ass and gushing over how brilliant and insightful his work is- I just wanted to ask him some questions about his research, and just generally make myself known.

Is this a good idea, or should I skip it?

Do you mean visit, or just email the person? Because yes, it sounds like an appropriate context to email the faculty member. You actually have questions, you aren't going to gush, etc. You usually have way better chances if emailing prior.

I actually went as far as visiting one place, and was willing to visit the other but the prof told me to just talk on the phone instead, and they will fly me out if I get accepted. It worked well for me.

I was planning on emailing them. My top choices are out of state, and I haven't had the time or money to make a visit. I just wanted to touch base, and hopefully have someone remember me (in a positive light) when they're looking over applications.

What should you do in the instance where the professor has research interests that match yours, but the research you have previously done does not necessarily overlap his and/or support your claim?

What should you do in the instance where the professor has research interests that match yours, but the research you have previously done does not necessarily overlap his and/or support your claim?

So, it says you're a structural engineer, but you are in the anthropology forums? This may depend based on what you are switching to and from, but basically say what you told us. "My research in X has lead me to questions in [professor's field, the why and how of it." If there is ANY overlap (methods, etc), try to say something like, "Which gives me a unique background and skillset to bring to answering questions in [professors field]"

I found a really helpful page- written by a science prof, but the idea is applicable to other fields. They gave examples of the different kinds of emails they get from prospective grad students, and the kind of impression they got from it. Basically, the idea was do your homework on the prof and the school and show that you are genuinely interested in their research. Don't send a really short basic email that's obvious that you're sending it to everyone. Personalize it to each prof, and put as much detail as possible without making it obnoxiously long. If I can find the link again, I can post it if anyone is interested.

Can you post that link? I need to write a few more emails and it would be nice to see what professors want to hear. Thanks!

http://science-professor.blogspot.com/2007/12/writing-to-me.html

There's a link. It's written by a science prof, but the principle is still the same for any field. My research advisor says that he usually ignores the first two kinds- if they can't take enough time to write out a concise, detailed email, then neither can he.

• 3 months later...

http://science-profe...ting-to-me.html

There's a link. It's written by a science prof, but the principle is still the same for any field. My research advisor says that he usually ignores the first two kinds- if they can't take enough time to write out a concise, detailed email, then neither can he.

I'm resurrecting this in hopes of getting better results next year.

If we successfully make contact and get a decent response, what should the next move be for further contact. I sound like a social inept, but I'm still not completely comfortable with prof level social interactions in regards to expectations and tolerance level.

Being socially awkward is definitely why I'm not a "sociocult" person. I love economic anthropology, but feel I'll have better luck with subjects that don't talk or with materials that don't have social expectations.

I'm guessing - Email - good response - followup with request to visit - .... then call or email before submitting?

I'm resurrecting this in hopes of getting better results next year.

If we successfully make contact and get a decent response, what should the next move be for further contact. I sound like a social inept, but I'm still not completely comfortable with prof level social interactions in regards to expectations and tolerance level.

Being socially awkward is definitely why I'm not a "sociocult" person. I love economic anthropology, but feel I'll have better luck with subjects that don't talk or with materials that don't have social expectations.

I'm guessing - Email - good response - followup with request to visit - .... then call or email before submitting?

are you working on anything currently? will you be working on something by the time that you want to start contacting profs? if so, then maybe you can find some way that what you're working on will benefit from the wisdom of a prof that you're interested in getting familiar with.

if you're able to, you could go to some conferences at which a prof or two of interest will be presenting and you can try to reel them in at that point. in that situation, you can start off talking about the presentations that just happened or the conference in general. the conversation may naturally progress to your future plans and then your interests in the program that the prof represents or you might just use that first convo to get in contact with them later.

in all, i personally think a relationship beyond "i'm applying. do you like my project proposal? good. i've applied" is better in the long run in terms of getting someone to go to bat for you, you know.

I've already made my attempts this year and have so far only received one response: a rejection.

I'm asking now in anticipation of going at it again next year should a Masters fall-back not work out.

I find it amazing that everyone can afford multiple conferences. If I could, I would be at all of them.

are you working on anything currently? will you be working on something by the time that you want to start contacting profs? if so, then maybe you can find some way that what you're working on will benefit from the wisdom of a prof that you're interested in getting familiar with.

if you're able to, you could go to some conferences at which a prof or two of interest will be presenting and you can try to reel them in at that point. in that situation, you can start off talking about the presentations that just happened or the conference in general. the conversation may naturally progress to your future plans and then your interests in the program that the prof represents or you might just use that first convo to get in contact with them later.

in all, i personally think a relationship beyond "i'm applying. do you like my project proposal? good. i've applied" is better in the long run in terms of getting someone to go to bat for you, you know.

I've already made my attempts this year and have so far only received one response: a rejection.

I'm asking now in anticipation of going at it again next year should a Masters fall-back not work out.

I find it amazing that everyone can afford multiple conferences. If I could, I would be at all of them.

i was answering in the context of you applying again next year hence the question, "are you working on anything currently? will you be working on something by the time that you want to start contacting profs?" that implied that you might be working on, for example, your writing sample or something you might publish. who knows. and some conferences are relatively cheap if you're a student and some events at which profs are presenting are free. at many public universities, they have free panel events that are open to the public.

timeline-wise, you could start contacting profs whenever it seems relevant for you to do so. i say 'relevant' because a conversation with a prof will go a long way if you have more to talk to them about than just applying to their school. i mean, you don't even want to be talking to profs about admissions anyway because that's a conversation more appropriate to have with the program director/representative designated for answering program questions. conversations with profs, imo, should be geared towards getting their guidance, getting a feel for their research/methods and how yours meshes with theirs, classes they are teaching/will teach and other stuff that isn't something you want to talk to a program director about.

It varies at different schools, but a good amount of schools let professors decide which students they want. So in the email, asking them if they are taking on new students is a big question to ask.

very true. and depending on the year that you're applying, a prof. may really want you but be unable to take you because they've already picked up quite a few advisees over the last couple of years. asking about whether they are able to take on new students is a really good question.

I agree on contacting profs. whenever it seem relevant to you. I contacted a few in May when I had just begun writing my Master's thesis, just to introduce myself, explain what I was working on and what I was interested in, and ask if they were accepting students. One professor responded by inviting me to present at a conference he was organizing - I had a chance to present in front of a group of researchers interested in similar topics of mine and in front of a large group of the anthro faculty at the university. I was eventually offered a PhD position.

I'm 1/4 so far this year so I can't say I've gotten amazing results, but my point is that you may get surprising responses from a simple e-mail.

i was answering in the context of you applying again next year hence the question, "are you working on anything currently? will you be working on something by the time that you want to start contacting profs?" that implied that you might be working on, for example, your writing sample or something you might publish. who knows. and some conferences are relatively cheap if you're a student and some events at which profs are presenting are free. at many public universities, they have free panel events that are open to the public.

timeline-wise, you could start contacting profs whenever it seems relevant for you to do so. i say 'relevant' because a conversation with a prof will go a long way if you have more to talk to them about than just applying to their school. i mean, you don't even want to be talking to profs about admissions anyway because that's a conversation more appropriate to have with the program director/representative designated for answering program questions. conversations with profs, imo, should be geared towards getting their guidance, getting a feel for their research/methods and how yours meshes with theirs, classes they are teaching/will teach and other stuff that isn't something you want to talk to a program director about.

I don't think I said anything about discussing admissions with profs, but maybe I read you wrong, and you were responding to your own thoughts.

I have a grasp on what should be discussed; What I don't know is how soon should I reach out, and how much is too much or too little? Obviously if I'm calling everyday to talk, they will at some point shoo me away (not that I'd do that). There is also the point where contact has been too fleeting.

Thanks and I'll consider the event/convention recommendations.

I agree on contacting profs. whenever it seem relevant to you. I contacted a few in May when I had just begun writing my Master's thesis, just to introduce myself, explain what I was working on and what I was interested in, and ask if they were accepting students. One professor responded by inviting me to present at a conference he was organizing - I had a chance to present in front of a group of researchers interested in similar topics of mine and in front of a large group of the anthro faculty at the university. I was eventually offered a PhD position.

I'm 1/4 so far this year so I can't say I've gotten amazing results, but my point is that you may get surprising responses from a simple e-mail.

Very good example. Thanks!

Your masters was paving the way!

Happy to help.

My master's degree had everything to do with my acceptance - especially because my UG was in agronomy. I'm sure it's not necessary for everyone, but in my case it definitely was.

Very good example. Thanks!

Your masters was paving the way!

I don't think I said anything about discussing admissions with profs, but maybe I read you wrong, and you were responding to your own thoughts.

I have a grasp on what should be discussed; What I don't know is how soon should I reach out, and how much is too much or too little? Obviously if I'm calling everyday to talk, they will at some point shoo me away (not that I'd do that). There is also the point where contact has been too fleeting.

Thanks and I'll consider the event/convention recommendations.

you might have noticed that you weren't the only person who asked for advice from the forum. the second paragraph of my response was for the benefit of someone else.

Yes, definately. I contacted a Prof around August, and even went to meet face-to-face with him in the fall. We maintained e-mail contact and I interviewed with him again by phone in the last stage of the app process. Unfortunately, though he went to bat for me at the faculty meeting, he admitted he just didn't have the power/voice to get me in this year. He encouraged me to apply again next year, when it will be "his turn." Not all Profs (or many at all) will be this candid and encouraging throughout the application process. But it can be extremely helpful if you happen to find one that will!

very true. and depending on the year that you're applying, a prof. may really want you but be unable to take you because they've already picked up quite a few advisees over the last couple of years. asking about whether they are able to take on new students is a really good question.