Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

Hello everyone, is there anyone applying for Canadian Grad school? I can see that all of you applied to MIT, Harvard...top 10 school in the US. I'm not that good, and currently applying to SFU in Vancouver....

I've applied to UBC Vancouver. It's for Biochem and mol biol though. Had a skype interview so far.

Vanderboy is correct- I asked Columbia about this a month ago and they said if you have not received an email by this time assume rejection. At that time they said they were not sure about a waitlist though when I called- so now they have a waitlist.

Also confused about the claim that they were going to send 20 offers- I was so optimistic. Well would call and see if I was on the waitlist.

I wish.

Does anyone have an idea of how many people apply to programs like Columbia, Stanford e.t.c just to have an idea of the size of the applicant pool

gipp - same exact thing happened to me. In at Chicago for theoretical and haven't heard from Columbia.

Vanderboy - who exactly did you call? Might seem like a weird question but I don't know what part of the department to call for this.

Interesting. Are you by any chance going to the March visitation?

gipp - same exact thing happened to me. In at Chicago for theoretical and haven't heard from Columbia.

Vanderboy - who exactly did you call? Might seem like a weird question but I don't know what part of the department to call for this.

Go to the chemistry website, click on contact us or something and call the number for the graduate office. Hope that helps.

What if I still haven't heard *anything* from MIT?

Go to the website where you applied (applyweb), there should be a "view decision" link. If that's not there, maybe they simply haven't decided about your application yet or you are wait-listed. Perhaps you can get a definitive answer if you call the graduate coordinator.

I think Berkeley said their applicant pool is like ~700.

http://chem.berkeley.edu/grad_info/faq.php

Vanderboy is correct- I asked Columbia about this a month ago and they said if you have not received an email by this time assume rejection. At that time they said they were not sure about a waitlist though when I called- so now they have a waitlist.

Also confused about the claim that they were going to send 20 offers- I was so optimistic. Well would call and see if I was on the waitlist.

I wish.

Does anyone have an idea of how many people apply to programs like Columbia, Stanford e.t.c just to have an idea of the size of the applicant pool

The only two schools I'm still waiting on are MIT and Michigan. I'm not as attached to Michigan, but I am curious about MIT.

They're both applyweb and neither has a view decision link. Hmmm. At least I'm not rejected yet? I'll maybe give it one more week and then call.

Can someone explain to me how to check my decision via website for MIT? I didn't get any email.

If you go to the application website and go to "review your activity" and click on the name of the application (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Graduate - chem) so that the info appears about submission/payment confirmation, after a few seconds a button pops up that says "view decision".

I did exactly that but nothing pops up. I guess they haven't made a decision yet.

If you go to the application website and go to "review your activity" and click on the name of the application (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Graduate - chem) so that the info appears about submission/payment confirmation, after a few seconds a button pops up that says "view decision".

I'm theoretical. If this is some sort of a wait list then this is my third wait list. Harvard, Columbia and here. I guess I'll be crossing my fingers until April 15th.

Me neither. I suspect that they've finished for organic and not for other branches of chem (I'm inorganic materials)

Does anyone know if Barry Trost is still taking students at Stanford? His website doesn't list what year his graduate students started.

According to my research advisor and academic advisors (who know Trost), he will still be taking graduate students next fall.

Me neither. I suspect that they've finished for organic and not for other branches of chem (I'm inorganic materials)

I guess so too. Mailed the grad office a few days back, haven't got a response yet.

Been accepted at UChicago, Columbia (Chemical Physics) and Princeton so far. Anybody out there deciding between any of these schools?

Would be great if you could share some opinions.

Thank you!

mobai!!!

Your GPA is so high!

GRE: 800Q, 630V, 4.5A

GRE Chemistry: 830

GPA: 3.99 (4.0 Major) at a small liberal arts college

J-term organic chemistry research, summer of bioinorganic/materials research, and two years of continuous organometallics research (with honors thesis) by the end of the year.

2nd author in an Organometallics paper and a JACS paper from different groups.

I'm applying to Columbia, MIT, Berkeley, Caltech, Irvine, Illinois, Seattle, Madison, Michigan, and Minnesota for inorganic/organometallics. Minnesota is basically my safety school for a variety of reasons.

It looks like we are pretty self-selecting; I hope we all do well!