GRFP Clarification

Joesh

This e-mail from the GRFP confuses me:

The GRF Operations Center wants to remind all applicantsthat the reference letter deadline for the 2011 National Science Foundation(NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is the same as theapplication deadline (November 15-22, 2010, depending on the field ofstudy). No reference letters will beaccepted after the module closes on November 22. Due to an anticipated highlevel of traffic on the Fastlane website on the deadline dates, we encouragethe early submission of reference letters if possible.

The wording of this makes me think that my LOR's are going to be due by Nov. 16, which is when my application is due.

So for the engineering field fellowship app, are the LOR's due Nov. 16, or Nov. 22?

This is from the "Current Application Package Status" page:

Deadlines for the Application Package

FASTLANE GRFP APPLICATION:

Due by 5 p.m. submitter's local time

November 15, 2010 (Monday) - Interdisciplinary Fields of Study

November 16, 2010 (Tuesday) - Engineering

November 18, 2010 (Thursday) - Chemistry

November 18, 2010 (Thursday) - Computer and Information Science and Engineering

November 18, 2010 (Thursday) - Mathematical Sciences

November 18, 2010 (Thursday) - Physics and Astronomy

November 19, 2010 (Friday) - Geosciences

November 19, 2010 (Friday) - Psychology

November 19, 2010 (Friday) - Social Sciences

November 22, 2010 (Monday) - Life Sciences

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS:

November 22, 2010 (Monday)

REFERENCE LETTERS

November 22, 2010 (Monday)

Reference letters must be submitted on or before the deadline; three reference letters are required as part of your GRF application. Applicants are encouraged to use the "Check Application Package Status" feature to ensure application completeness.

This, along with the fact that my adviser told me the e-mail he received also said the letter of rec was due the 22nd (my field of study deadline is the 19th), leads me to believe that all letters of rec are due the 22nd, regardless of field of study. But you could always e-mail the people at the grfp operations center (who are really helpful and nice) to double check.

Inside the application on the references page, it says

"Three reference letters must be uploaded by the applicant's Field of Study deadline to be eligible for review. "

From this, I think it must be the Nov 16 deadline.

Edited by greentechgirl

I've told my writers to submit by my deadline (11/19), but I know their email said 11/22...I don't know how NSF is going to not accept ones that come in between the applicant deadline and the 11/22 deadline since the 11/22 deadline is what they told the letter-writers...

I told all my letter writers to ignore the 22nd deadline, and get them in by the 18th (my deadline in Chemistry).

Better safe than sorry- be a shame to lose eligibility over a few days, imo.

More than likely, they'll still be accepted, but on the off chance they aren't....

One of my letter writers will be procrastinating, and told me he'll write the letter this weekend. Crossing my fingers that my Friday deadline isn't actually the deadline for letter writers.

I actually emailed them about this very question - my deadline is the 18th. This was their response:

Dear Yet Another Fish,

Thank you for your interest in the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP).

The reference letter module closes on November 22, so the 22nd is the absolute last date reference letters can be accepted. Technically per the guidelines, reference letters should be submitted by your deadline, but in practical terms they absolutely must be submitted by the 22nd.

If you have any further questions, please contact this office toll-free at (866) 673-4737 or via email at info@nsfgrfp.org

Sincerely,

GRF Operations Center