Getting in the first time around?

cschwartz

2. What did you learn about writing SOPs? I never knew if mine was specific enough or too specific.

Anthropologygeek has it right on the "steps-up" quality of schools--move up, or laterally if you're already at the top, but don't be surprised if you don't get into a top tier school in your subfield (or the discipline as a whole), if you went to a generic institution for undergrad (as an example, I went to DePaul).

Now, regarding the SOP, you were probably on the right track if you were questioning the balance of specificity. That was my biggest fail the first time around. I didn't really know that I needed to present a specific project--I thought gesturing at my interests would be enough. I have also learned (from every--EVERY professor who has given me advice) the cardinal rule: do not begin your SOP with "Ever since I was a child..." or anything similarly biographical.

I hope this helps someone out in the future!

Anthropologygeek has it right on the "steps-up" quality of schools--move up, or laterally if you're already at the top, but don't be surprised if you don't get into a top tier school in your subfield (or the discipline as a whole), if you went to a generic institution for undergrad (as an example, I went to DePaul).

Now, regarding the SOP, you were probably on the right track if you were questioning the balance of specificity. That was my biggest fail the first time around. I didn't really know that I needed to present a specific project--I thought gesturing at my interests would be enough. I have also learned (from every--EVERY professor who has given me advice) the cardinal rule: do not begin your SOP with "Ever since I was a child..." or anything similarly biographical.

I hope this helps someone out in the future!

I guess I am totally without a clue, but how specific did you get with your SOP? Did you go into geographic region, population, methods, etc... or did you stay open with some of that and mainly mention dynamics of a research interest (political economy and paleodiet of early complex societies ....)

I guess the waiting is getting into my head... Since I have no responses so far, its hard not to pour over predictions and beat myself up over and over for not taking a longer amount of time putting everything together. If I can help anyone doing this in the future I would tell them to start a year or so out. However, it took me a while to think through my interests and distill my research questions and find a biocultural approach to match.

I would really love to be in the position one day to truly help others negotiate these choices and trials.

I guess I am totally without a clue, but how specific did you get with your SOP? Did you go into geographic region, population, methods, etc... or did you stay open with some of that and mainly mention dynamics of a research interest (political economy and paleodiet of early complex societies ....)

I guess the waiting is getting into my head... Since I have no responses so far, its hard not to pour over predictions and beat myself up over and over for not taking a longer amount of time putting everything together. If I can help anyone doing this in the future I would tell them to start a year or so out. However, it took me a while to think through my interests and distill my research questions and find a biocultural approach to match.

I would really love to be in the position one day to truly help others negotiate these choices and trials.

I'm an archaeologist, so in my SOP, I laid out a detailed project with a plan for addressing the research question, including: the culture I would be studying (which includes the specific geographic location, and the temporal range of study), how I plan to investigate my research question (survey, in this case--with heavy GIS work), described the dominant theories that are generally applied to this subject (primarily discussions of complexity and centralization), and explained why I didn't think they worked and what I wanted to look for instead (expanded notions of complexity/heterarchy, etc).

Much of my SOP came directly from my NSF GRFP proposal, which was MUCH more detailed and specific about the time frame, specific research methodologies and strategies. Some of what I cut out for the SOP was the specificity (and certainty) that was necessary for the NSF proposal, but I did leave in enough for the project to be considered clearly defined.

Frankly, I think that graduate programs are looking for this more and more nowadays. They want to know not only that you know how to put a research question/project/plan together, but that you have a chance of completing it before all of the tenure-track jobs in the country have disappeared. ;-) Too much specificity is unlikely to be a problem, unless it sounds like you have the answer to your question already, or like you don't have anything to learn. In my case, I made clear that, though I have experience with GIS analysis, I do not have a lot of familiarity with survey techniques, and I'm still looking for a theory of complexity that would encompass this archaeological example.

I hope that helps. I also hope that this hashing over of your SOP is completely unnecessary because you just haven't received that fantastic acceptance you'll be getting this round! Good luck!

I'm an archaeologist, so in my SOP, I laid out a detailed project with a plan for addressing the research question, including: the culture I would be studying (which includes the specific geographic location, and the temporal range of study), how I plan to investigate my research question (survey, in this case--with heavy GIS work), described the dominant theories that are generally applied to this subject (primarily discussions of complexity and centralization), and explained why I didn't think they worked and what I wanted to look for instead (expanded notions of complexity/heterarchy, etc).

Much of my SOP came directly from my NSF GRFP proposal, which was MUCH more detailed and specific about the time frame, specific research methodologies and strategies. Some of what I cut out for the SOP was the specificity (and certainty) that was necessary for the NSF proposal, but I did leave in enough for the project to be considered clearly defined.

Frankly, I think that graduate programs are looking for this more and more nowadays. They want to know not only that you know how to put a research question/project/plan together, but that you have a chance of completing it before all of the tenure-track jobs in the country have disappeared. ;-) Too much specificity is unlikely to be a problem, unless it sounds like you have the answer to your question already, or like you don't have anything to learn. In my case, I made clear that, though I have experience with GIS analysis, I do not have a lot of familiarity with survey techniques, and I'm still looking for a theory of complexity that would encompass this archaeological example.

I hope that helps. I also hope that this hashing over of your SOP is completely unnecessary because you just haven't received that fantastic acceptance you'll be getting this round! Good luck!

Hey thanks! That all sounds great! I'm still waiting though I see most of my schools have already sent out both rejections and acceptances. I haven't received anything yet, and I don't know what that means. I logged in to the applications to review my contact info and everything is correct there.

Did Pitts notify you via email or phone?

I'm relaxing a bit now, but still pondering the prudent thing to do now.

Geez, this thread is making me more and more anxious! This is my first year applying. I haven't heard a single thing yet and I applied to five schools, two of which people have already heard back from (acceptances). It seems more and more likely that I may be out of luck this year, at least for those two schools. But after reading people's comments, I'm starting to panic about the others too! Is it time to make a back up plan?

Geez, this thread is making me more and more anxious! This is my first year applying. I haven't heard a single thing yet and I applied to five schools, two of which people have already heard back from (acceptances). It seems more and more likely that I may be out of luck this year, at least for those two schools. But after reading people's comments, I'm starting to panic about the others too! Is it time to make a back up plan?

i'm in the exact same place.

Also in the same boat, except I only applied to ONE school. Why in the world I did that is beyond me at this point. Each day, I feel more and more certain that I've been rejected since they admit so few students (I applied to NYU's sociocultural PhD program). I've already started looking at alternatives to grad school :(

Also in the same boat, except I only applied to ONE school. Why in the world I did that is beyond me at this point. Each day, I feel more and more certain that I've been rejected since they admit so few students (I applied to NYU's sociocultural PhD program). I've already started looking at alternatives to grad school :(

What kind of alternatives? I am doing that too, considering radiology, biomedical lab certification, other masters plans, and other things I can loop back to. Sure I'd love to stay in anthropology, but what can I really do between now and next year (that I can afford...) to requalify for a PhD program?

But not all options are exhausted. I am considering a couple of Terminal Masters programs that have late acceptances. Eastern Carolina is accepting applications until April, and no doubt there's others in your neck of the woods.

If you have any bright ideas on backups, please post them. We may even have a thread for it already that I started when I first began to get anxious about plan b options.

What kind of alternatives? I am doing that too, considering radiology, biomedical lab certification, other masters plans, and other things I can loop back to. Sure I'd love to stay in anthropology, but what can I really do between now and next year (that I can afford...) to requalify for a PhD program?

But not all options are exhausted. I am considering a couple of Terminal Masters programs that have late acceptances. Eastern Carolina is accepting applications until April, and no doubt there's others in your neck of the woods.

If you have any bright ideas on backups, please post them. We may even have a thread for it already that I started when I first began to get anxious about plan b options.

Haha well, my alternatives are less scholastic in nature. I know that anthropology is the academic field that I'd like to pursue, so if I don't get in this round, my alternatives are more work or "personal development" related.

I think the most realistic plan will be to try to secure a job teaching in East Asia (I'm really holding out for Mongolia!). These are usually year-long contracts. I would spend my free time studying the language of the area (not much need for Khalka Mongolian, but if I were to work in China I would love to study Mandarin), reading various anthropological publications relevant to my proposed research area, writing, and trying to get published in various social science/anthro journals. During my vacation time, I would love to cram in as much travelling as possible. I'd try to visit S. Korea, Japan, China, and Mongolia (yes, a very expensive vacation, but teaching pays decently well).

My next alternative is to apply for a bunch of grants to study French in either Quebec or West Africa.

I'm also interested in taking a wilderness medicine course. Totally unrelated haha.

I've thought about doing a Masters, but to be honest, I would rather spend a year travelling, working, and strengthening my application in other ways. I've heard horror stories about previous MA's not being recognized by PhD programs and having to re-do the two years. I'm not comfortable with taking that risk, considering how much time, work, and MONEY go into MA's, as they are often unfunded.

Haha well, my alternatives are less scholastic in nature. I know that anthropology is the academic field that I'd like to pursue, so if I don't get in this round, my alternatives are more work or "personal development" related.

I think the most realistic plan will be to try to secure a job teaching in East Asia (I'm really holding out for Mongolia!). These are usually year-long contracts. I would spend my free time studying the language of the area (not much need for Khalka Mongolian, but if I were to work in China I would love to study Mandarin), reading various anthropological publications relevant to my proposed research area, writing, and trying to get published in various social science/anthro journals. During my vacation time, I would love to cram in as much travelling as possible. I'd try to visit S. Korea, Japan, China, and Mongolia (yes, a very expensive vacation, but teaching pays decently well).

My next alternative is to apply for a bunch of grants to study French in either Quebec or West Africa.

I'm also interested in taking a wilderness medicine course. Totally unrelated haha.

I've thought about doing a Masters, but to be honest, I would rather spend a year travelling, working, and strengthening my application in other ways. I've heard horror stories about previous MA's not being recognized by PhD programs and having to re-do the two years. I'm not comfortable with taking that risk, considering how much time, work, and MONEY go into MA's, as they are often unfunded.

Sounds like a great plan if you are a cultural person! However, I don't see a way to do the same thing with physical/bioarch. It would be real hard to do without plunking down some serious tin and going into a field school experience. Maybe I should try minor publishing? I love anthropology, but I am also fearful about not making backup plans should anthropology fall through or present a huge obstacle to overcome again next year. I am afraid that if I have a slow acceptance or no acceptance next year (assuming worst this year), my subsistence strategies will start eroding away quick like.

Many places now state the acceptance of one year of Masters work and that would probably be the first year work. It's especially not bad if you can swing a TA or loan, and get in some serious work and a thesis as an archaeology or bio student. I think it's a toss up for cultural folks though.

Your plan is good for you, and you can still make money teaching. There's much to be done if you get to Mongolia and the border routes. If I were going more legal or economic I might be interested in North Africa, or in the Lakota. Part of me still wonders about that interest, which is why I am bonding interests with the "biocultural" link.

Good luck!

Edited by mutualist007

Sounds like a great plan if you are a cultural person! However, I don't see a way to do the same thing with physical/bioarch. It would be real hard to do without plunking down some serious tin and going into a field school experience. Maybe I should try minor publishing? I love anthropology, but I am also fearful about not making backup plans should anthropology fall through or present a huge obstacle to overcome again next year. I am afraid that if I have a slow acceptance or no acceptance next year (assuming worst this year), my subsistence strategies will start eroding away quick like.

Many places now state the acceptance of one year of Masters work and that would probably be the first year work. It's especially not bad if you can swing a TA or loan, and get in some serious work and a thesis as an archaeology or bio student. I think it's a toss up for cultural folks though.

Your plan is good for you, and you can still make money teaching. There's much to be done if you get to Mongolia and the border routes. If I were going more legal or economic I might be interested in North Africa, or in the Lakota. Part of me still wonders about that interest, which is why I am bonding interests with the "biocultural" link.

Good luck!

Not sure what your interests are within bioanth, but some of the Smithsonian internships have stipends (and they also sometimes have jobs open for people with bachelors degrees). Also, if you're a primate person, you can look here for jobs: pin.primate.wisc.edu. The NIH also has post-bac programs with stipends, and there are couple of primate behavior labs there and tons of biomedical labs (obviously). You could also consider contacting PIs at local universities who are in your specialty of interest and asking if you can volunteer a few hours a week as a research grunt. Also, teaching experience is relevant, even if is elementary school (not that there's anything wrong with teaching elementary school, but it's just about as far removed age-wise from university students as possible), so you could look into becoming a substitute teacher. You would just need a bachelors degree and could likely get very close to full time employment during the school year.

Not sure what your interests are within bioanth, but some of the Smithsonian internships have stipends (and they also sometimes have jobs open for people with bachelors degrees). Also, if you're a primate person, you can look here for jobs: pin.primate.wisc.edu. The NIH also has post-bac programs with stipends, and there are couple of primate behavior labs there and tons of biomedical labs (obviously). You could also consider contacting PIs at local universities who are in your specialty of interest and asking if you can volunteer a few hours a week as a research grunt. Also, teaching experience is relevant, even if is elementary school (not that there's anything wrong with teaching elementary school, but it's just about as far removed age-wise from university students as possible), so you could look into becoming a substitute teacher. You would just need a bachelors degree and could likely get very close to full time employment during the school year.

Great recommendations. Thanks!

I'll look into the first options you missed. I'm trying to get on the teaching boat now.

It's good experience and a good way to learn to organize lesson plan instruction time.

Great recommendations. Thanks!

I'll look into the first options you missed. I'm trying to get on the teaching boat now.

It's good experience and a good way to learn to organize lesson plan instruction time.

Also, check out the National Geographic Grant program http://www.nationalg...oung-explorers/

I don't know what you are focusing on specifically in bioanth, but a lot of individuals have done primatology-related work for their research.

From what you've said about the MA programs, I would probably go for it - if only to keep your mind occupied for a year. Then, in the rare event that you don't get into any schools next year, you will at least have your MA and can begin to look at completely different, non-anthro options.

Good luck, mutualist007!

Edited by dlb89