HGSE Fall 2011

TDGirl84

Hi, I'm applying to the Ed.M. Program in Human Development and Psychology. Very excited to find this forum where so many people apply to the same school!

Waiting for the result anxiously...

Also an AIE applicant here!

I was an Art History major in college and I've spent my professional life in magazines. I'm on the board of a an alternative arts space here in my city and do a lot of volunteer work around the arts in an effort to strengthen the creative economy. My big dream is to create a charter school for art, technology, and design in my state.

The days are moving so slowly...

Hi Alex, are you talking about Ed.D. applicants? I believe (for Ed.M. at least) that you're notified by email to log in to your application home page where there is a link you click that directs you to an acceptance or rejection letter. Just wanted to clarify so people wouldn't be too concerned about not receiving phone calls...

Usually, faculty in HGSE ring up admitted students in 3rd week of Feb and rejected applicants will be notified to check the result on website on the last Friday of Feb.

People at HGSE sometimes call their EdD students "PhD students", because those degrees are not really different, at least at Harvard.

This might be related also.

There was a posting on the results page of an acceptance by post for a Ph.D in Education at HGSE.

Anyone know anything about this? Slightly dubious as it is as Ed.D and I would be surprised if they informed people via post....

Someone posted an HGSE Master's Interview on the Results Page. I wasn't aware Harvard interviewed Master's applicants. Is this another "fake" post?

If you are the poster and the post is indeed factual, to which program have you applied?

Someone posted an HGSE Master's Interview on the Results Page. I wasn't aware Harvard interviewed Master's applicants. Is this another "fake" post?

If you are the poster and the post is indeed factual, to which program have you applied?

There is an interview component for one of the scholarships to the Teacher Education Program. I assume that is what this is. I am not the poster, however.

Edited by Carolina2008

Yes, I am talking about Ed.D. applicants. Good luck to everyone.

Hi Alex, are you talking about Ed.D. applicants? I believe (for Ed.M. at least) that you're notified by email to log in to your application home page where there is a link you click that directs you to an acceptance or rejection letter. Just wanted to clarify so people wouldn't be too concerned about not receiving phone calls...

Thanks, everyone, for the updates. I'm brand new to Grad Cafe and I was just coming in here to ask about the post that was put up on the results page regarding an acceptance via post. I've turned into that crazy person that has been obsessing over the mail for the last week or so. Of course, it seems as though all mail has stopped arriving at my apartment. I'm glad to hear that Harvard doesn't send out results via post and that I should be looking for the results via e-mail. Harvard was kind of my "I'm going to apply and see what happens" schools, even though I'm pretty sure I had no chance of getting a second glance.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope you all are taking time to relax during this stressful time! smile.gif

So, I applied to HGSE: Culture Communities.... I received an info packet from Admissions and completed all financial aid paper work that was sent to me. I applied "just to see," but waiting is still rediculously difficult.

I had a phone interview with BC (one of 20-ish interviewed for 12 spots). They said I should hear back in a couple of weeks (Critical Pedagogy, Diversity, and SJ program).

Got an acceptance from U Wisc-Madison-Special Ed PhD program.

And waiting on UT Austin-Special Ed.

Missed Vanderbilts cut off GRE by 80 points--so that will be a rejection. I'm surprisingly OK with it.

I've taught elementatry and special ed for 5 years: MAT in ELED and M.Ed Secial Ed

The waiting is the worst...and yes I do check my email, status check sites, etc every few hours. It's aweful!

So, I applied to HGSE: Culture Communities.... I received an info packet from Admissions and completed all financial aid paper work that was sent to me. I applied "just to see," but waiting is still rediculously difficult.

I had a phone interview with BC (one of 20-ish interviewed for 12 spots). They said I should hear back in a couple of weeks (Critical Pedagogy, Diversity, and SJ program).

Got an acceptance from U Wisc-Madison-Special Ed PhD program.

And waiting on UT Austin-Special Ed.

Missed Vanderbilts cut off GRE by 80 points--so that will be a rejection. I'm surprisingly OK with it.

I've taught elementatry and special ed for 5 years: MAT in ELED and M.Ed Secial Ed

The waiting is the worst...and yes I do check my email, status check sites, etc every few hours. It's aweful!

Looks like we have a few schools in common- I have a special education background, M.Ed in Special Ed.. I applied to HGSE, BC (also had an interview), UT Austin, and KU.

Good luck! It sounds very possible that I may see you in a cohort next fall.

Looks like we have a few schools in common- I have a special education background, M.Ed in Special Ed.. I applied to HGSE, BC (also had an interview), UT Austin, and KU.

Good luck! It sounds very possible that I may see you in a cohort next fall.

So you heard back from UT already...was it posted on your status check? I'm getting a bit nervous. Did you apply early? I had everything submitted in late November/early December. Any info would be hugely appreciated!

So you heard back from UT already...was it posted on your status check? I'm getting a bit nervous. Did you apply early? I had everything submitted in late November/early December. Any info would be hugely appreciated!

I will PM you about the process I experienced at UT- but I received an email from them last thursday - the subject was something like "Graduate Admission Decision" - it had a link to the status check page and my acceptance was there.(of course I had forgotton my password, had to reset it, blah blah...all while I'm freaking out about the email....) There were two PDF letters attached and an indication I would get something in the mail. My application was in to them in October, and I had spoken with a couple professors prior to that. Are you looking at the LDBD program- ?

Which program did you apply to at BC? From what I've read, sounds like we had a simillar interview via phone last week? I applied for the C&I Ph.D. I hope your interview went well! Such a stressful waiting process :unsure: .

I will PM you about the process I experienced at UT- but I received an email from them last thursday - the subject was something like "Graduate Admission Decision" - it had a link to the status check page and my acceptance was there.(of course I had forgotton my password, had to reset it, blah blah...all while I'm freaking out about the email....) There were two PDF letters attached and an indication I would get something in the mail. My application was in to them in October, and I had spoken with a couple professors prior to that. Are you looking at the LDBD program- ?

Which program did you apply to at BC? From what I've read, sounds like we had a simillar interview via phone last week? I applied for the C&I Ph.D. I hope your interview went well! Such a stressful waiting process :unsure: .

I applied to C&I at BC-specifically critical pedagogy, diversity and social justice. I interviewed with Dr. Cochran-Smith. How about you? She said we should hear back within the next few weeks. I thought it went great...but it's always tough to tell. She also said that they were interviewing around 21/22 people and they would be admitting 12-13... Those are good odds... By the way I'm really new to this site, so what does "PM" mean?--at the risk of sounding dumb...

I interviewed with Dr. Cochran-Smith too. She told me the same thing, they are interviewing 20- accepting 12. She said the next step would be an email in the next couple weeks- said it was a tricky process from this point on with the final admittances etc. She was very nice, hard to tell over the phone. She sounded positive- but I'm sure she trys to sound positive to everyone she interviews. I met her in November, and she was very nice in person. The whole department there was very welcoming- they all love the program.

PM- private message :) Have you spoken with any professors at UT?

I interviewed with Dr. Cochran-Smith too. She told me the same thing, they are interviewing 20- accepting 12. She said the next step would be an email in the next couple weeks- said it was a tricky process from this point on with the final admittances etc. She was very nice, hard to tell over the phone. She sounded positive- but I'm sure she trys to sound positive to everyone she interviews. I met her in November, and she was very nice in person. The whole department there was very welcoming- they all love the program.

PM- private message :) Have you spoken with any professors at UT?

I haven't spoken with anyone, I also didn't speak with anyone at U Wisc. Dr. Cochran-Smith did liken final decisions to dominos or cards...in that it was tricky pairing up students to faculty, in in the even that someone declines an offer. Did she mention funding after the first two years with you? She mentioned that while it wasn't guranteed on paper that students get it if they need it. She did ask what the likelyhood was of me accepting an offer, since I had applied to other schools in different geographic locations. I know that you have applied to some of the same schools...did she ask you, too?

I haven't spoken with anyone, I also didn't speak with anyone at U Wisc. Dr. Cochran-Smith did liken final decisions to dominos or cards...in that it was tricky pairing up students to faculty, in in the even that someone declines an offer. Did she mention funding after the first two years with you? She mentioned that while it wasn't guranteed on paper that students get it if they need it. She did ask what the likelyhood was of me accepting an offer, since I had applied to other schools in different geographic locations. I know that you have applied to some of the same schools...did she ask you, too?

Yes, she did ask me that. It made me slightly uncomfortable but I did tell her where I applied. She referred to UT and KU as "special ed power-players" which made me laugh. I don't know if that was positive or negative. Sounds like we received very simillar information from her- that from his point forward it was a matching game, etc. Still... stressfull on this end. Did you tell her where else you applied?

We discussed the funding both over the phone and when I was there. It sounds like a guarentee year 1-2 and then they just have to 'rework' the methods in which it is provided in year 3 and beyond. Every student I spoke with assured me they had never heard of someone not receiveing funding.

Yes, she did ask me that. It made me slightly uncomfortable but I did tell her where I applied. She referred to UT and KU as "special ed power-players" which made me laugh. I don't know if that was positive or negative. Sounds like we received very simillar information from her- that from his point forward it was a matching game, etc. Still... stressfull on this end. Did you tell her where else you applied?

We discussed the funding both over the phone and when I was there. It sounds like a guarentee year 1-2 and then they just have to 'rework' the methods in which it is provided in year 3 and beyond. Every student I spoke with assured me they had never heard of someone not receiveing funding.

She did ask where else I applied, and I told her. She made a statement and framed it as a question, "So it sounds like you are pretty mobile then?". I answered her honestly. Them she asked what the likelyhood would be of me accepting an offer of admission.

I can't wait to find out, we have a great shot. They are accepting more than half of the candidates they spoke with. It was great to even make it that far. The interview itself was worth the experience.

Does anyone if their is a GPA cut-off for M.Ed. programs? I'm applying to the M.Ed EPM at HGSE and my ungrad GPA is below a 3.0. I got a 3.75 in my first Masters program and my SOP and LOR's are strong. I'm just nervous that I may have been cut in the pre-screening which is really depressing since I do think my resume shows a strong committment to education and what I want to do long term.

Any thoughts or comments would be helpful as I wait this thing out...

Does anyone if their is a GPA cut-off for M.Ed. programs? I'm applying to the M.Ed EPM at HGSE and my ungrad GPA is below a 3.0. I got a 3.75 in my first Masters program and my SOP and LOR's are strong. I'm just nervous that I may have been cut in the pre-screening which is really depressing since I do think my resume shows a strong committment to education and what I want to do long term.

My undergrad gps was in the low 3's, though it wasn't in education my MAT was a 4.0 and my MEd was a 3.96. I haven't seen a cut off for undergrad gap's, I've run into cut offs for GRE's at other schools. Harvard does publish average gpa's and gre score by program, somewhere.

I hope this helps

Here is HGSE's class profile from last year.... I hope they hurry up and get on the phone calls or emails with decisions. I'm starting to feel like a crazy person :P

2010-2011 Incoming Class Profile

Doctoral (Ed.D.) Students: 29

Doctoral (Ed.L.D.) Students: 25

Master's (Ed.M.) Students: 629

Rate of Study:

Full Time: 96% Part time: 4%

Female: 74% Male: 26%

Geographical Distribution:

44 states, D.C., and 35 countries

Ed.D. students

Range: 24-41

Average: 29.9

Ed.L.D. students

Range: 28-48

Average: 34.5

Ed.M. students

Range: 21-61

Average: 28.6

Years of Work:

Ed.D. students

Range: 0-14

Average: 5.9

Ed.L.D. students

Range: 5.5-25.5

Average: 11.1

Ed.M. students

Range: 0-37

Average: 5.0

International Students:

12% of student body

Students of Color:

31% of student body

Test Scores for Admitted Students

General Record Test (GRE)

Doctor of Education students

Verbal Average: 650

Quantitative Average: 701

Analytical Writing Average: 5.1

Master of Education students

Verbal Average: 596

Quantitative Average: 655

Analytical Writing Average: 4.7

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

HGSE seeks applicants with scores of at least 100 TOEFL on the Internet-based test, 250 TOEFL and 5 essay rating on the computer-based test, or 600 TOEFL and 5 TWE on the paper-based test.

Paper-based test average score: 613

Internet-based test average score: 110

TWE/Essay average score: 5.0

All class profile numbers are accurate as of September 24, 2010.

The HGSE standard answer is that they look at all applications "holistically", but after speaking with a few students admitted last year I believe it. I was concerned about this myself, and not much comforted by the answer at the time I heard it. It's grown on me though. Good luck :-)

Has anyone heard about the Ed.D? I thought they were supposed to make calls on Friday, but I didn't see anything on the results page.

I'm wondering the same thing. And I just called the office to see if they're open for the holiday--which they are not. Infinite sadness.