HGSE Fall 2011

TDGirl84

I sent an email asking the Ed. M. decision date. Got a reply saying they will start sending out results early March. So I assume some of us won't be waiting until March 25th to hear the news. Hope it helps. Good luck to every one!

I sent an email asking the Ed. M. decision date. Got a reply saying they will start sending out results early March. So I assume some of us won't be waiting until March 25th to hear the news. Hope it helps. Good luck to every one!

Thank you ellewy! So we needn't wait that long...hope news come soon...

Acceptance dates for the masters programs from previous years:

Tuesday March 9, 2010

Friday March 13, 2009

Friday March 14, 2008

I don't know if that helps anyone or will only drive them more crazy, but I feel better just sharing my own anxiety!

Did you apply for the Ed. M or the Doctorate Program?

It was so strange, I had the feeling all day I was going to hear from Harvard... I had a REALLY great conversation with a professor at my second choice school (who accepted me with full funding!) and 15 minutes later, as I was thinking "that might not be such a bad choice after all," I had the rejection email from Harvard.

Now I have to endure the sympathetic looks from all those people who said, "Oh of course you'll get in." Don't worry, people-- Plan B awaits!

If one is accepted to HGSE for an EdM, when does one need to inform HGSE if he or she is accepting the spot?

Thanks,

JT

JT,

Generally, April 15th is the universal acceptance date for all US programs. This may not be the case with programs that have rolling admissions, but it will be for Harvard.

Has anyone heard from Ed Policy & Management for the EdM?

I'm still waiting too. I'm anxious as all get out at this point.

If you are up for it, I would love to know your stats/profile and how you are feeling about your chances.

etornfelt, sure! My stats are below:

I'm currently a second year (2009) corps member with Teach For America,

Undergrad: UC Berkeley

Major/Minor: English / Gender & Women's Studies

GPA: 3.61

Last 60: ~3.8

Work Experience: 2.5 years, not including college internships

WE Specifics: 2 college summer internships with AmeriCorps' Breakthrough Collaborative (teaching), 6 months with Fund For the Public Interest as Campaign Manager (simultaneously 6 months freelance with green-living website), 2 years middle school Language Arts teacher (via TFA), also taken on some leadership roles at my school (founded two clubs/organizations, in charge of Yearbook and English Language Learners) and serve as Public Partners Representative with TFA and am a contributing member of their diversity committee.

GRE: Q 730, V 680, AWA 5.5

Thoughts? Also, I'd love to get your stats too!

I applied for the EdM in EPM too. I haven't heard yet... so anxious!

Stats for me:

Undergrad: Colgate University, BA '08

Major: History

Overall GPA: 3.53

Last 2 Years: 3.7

GRE:

V: 650; Q: 700; AWA: 6.

Main Pertinent Work Experience: 1.5 yrs as Community Organizer for Stand for Children, a nonprofit public education advocacy organization. We organize parents, teachers and community members to improve public education at the local and state levels; gained excellent grounding in many areas of policy as well as how policy is made locally and legislatively. Also worked on legislative and school board campaigns.

I have no idea about my chances! I've had really good discussions with the Asst Dean of Admissions (he was a Colgate alum that my friend introduced me to) and several alums of the program, but really no idea at all.

Edited by cmccann

I applied for the EdM in EPM too. I haven't heard yet... so anxious!

Stats for me:

Undergrad: Colgate University, BA '08

Major: History

Overall GPA: 3.53

Last 2 Years: 3.7

GRE:

V: 650; Q: 700; AWA: 6.

Main Pertinent Work Experience: 1.5 yrs as Community Organizer for Stand for Children, a nonprofit public education advocacy organization. We organize parents, teachers and community members to improve public education at the local and state levels; gained excellent grounding in many areas of policy as well as how policy is made locally and legislatively. Also worked on legislative and school board campaigns.

I have no idea about my chances! I've had really good discussions with the Asst Dean of Admissions (he was a Colgate alum that my friend introduced me to) and several alums of the program, but really no idea at all.

Undergrad: Small Private

GPA: 2.8

Masters #1: 3.75

National Board Certified Teacher

GRE: 1100

Work Experience: 7 years - Public High School Civics Teacher

WE Specifics: Literacy Team and Datawise Team at school working to use literacy strategies and data to drive classroom instruction throughout school. Worked with the Gates foundation to implement those literacy strategies at the district and school level. I also have a lot of professional development opportunities that I was able to be a part of (Supreme Court Summer Institute, National Council for the Social Studies Annual conference, Gates Workshop and NC center for the advancement of teaching.)

My GRE and my undergrad GPA is low, but I'm banking on my LOR's, SOP and work experience to carry me. I really don't know what to expect. I feel my chances are 50/50 right now based on what other people have said. I think their are a lot of qualified candidates, I just think that it is really going to come down to what kind of students that HGSE needs. I think they want people from different backgrounds.

TheOtherCheek, I did know someone who did TFA and then got into the EPM program when she was done.

If you are up for it, I would love to know your stats/profile and how you are feeling about your chances.

Program: Ed.M. in Higher Education Administration

Undergrad: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

UG GPA: 3.6

UG Majors & GPAs: History 3.8 / Psychology 3.2

Graduate / Degree: Brown University / Masters in History

Grad GPA: 3.6

GRE: 1150 / 4.5

I have two years of funded research experience as an undergraduate then graduate fellow, plus additional research experience as a faculty assistant. I also have two years in residential education and three years in non-profit management. This course of study is a change for me. Prior to applying to this program I was working towards a PhD in Modern U.S. History with a focus on late twentieth century social justice issues. However, my interests shifted and I want to work more directly on college access and success issues.

I think my chances are good. I've already been accepted to Penn GSE (the better school if you believe US News) with a scholarship. Though my GRE scores are low, mostly because of math, I was accepted to Brown's PhD program with full funding two years ago and their acceptance rate was something like 10%.

That said, in my experience, graduate admissions cannot be boiled down to simple stats. For example when I applied to PhD programs two years ago I was accepted to my first choice school, Brown, but none of my safety schools. Stats are important for an initial review, but I think in the end it boils down to your "fit" in the program, LOR, and personal statement. I think the HGSE cares more about graduating leaders in the field than simply those with the highest stats. I can only hope this is the impression they get from my application.

This is simply my opinion of course. Take it for what you will.

Edited by Carolina2008

So I'm going to a dinner tonight, filled with people involved in arts education, with a big guest of honor. It would be really great to hear back from HGSE by the end of the day, especially if it's positive news! So I thought, "What the heck, I'll give them a call." The conversation went something like this:

>Hello, this is Shirley.

>Hi Shirley, I'm a current masters degree applicant and I was wondering if you are releasing any information about when applicants will be notified of decisions.

>We don't give any information over the phone (brusquely). Decisions are made in mid-to-late March (sounds distracted.)

>OK, well, I understand. I heard a rumor that it might be early March, so I decided to go straight to the source and ask.

>It could be early March, but again, I can't give you any information over the phone.

>OK, thank you.

>CLICK.

Argh! I wanted to say, "OK, well how about if I drive for three hours and ask again in person?" Yes, I'm obsessed right now.

Edited by chbd

So I'm going to a dinner tonight, filled with people involved in arts education, with a big guest of honor. It would be really great to hear back from HGSE by the end of the day, especially if it's positive news! So I thought, "What the heck, I'll give them a call." The conversation went something like this:

>Hello, this is Shirley.

>Hi Shirley, I'm a current masters degree applicant and I was wondering if you are releasing any information about when applicants will be notified of decisions.

>We don't give any information over the phone (brusquely). Decisions are made in mid-to-late March (sounds distracted.)

>OK, well, I understand. I heard a rumor that it might be early March, so I decided to go straight to the source and ask.

>It could be early March, but again, I can't give you any information over the phone.

>OK, thank you.

>CLICK.

Argh! I wanted to say, "OK, well how about if I drive for three hours and ask again in person?" Yes, I'm obsessed right now.

CHBD, Thanks for being the sacrificial lamb and calling for us. It would be nice if we knew today, but I think realistically it will be by next Friday.

Does anyone know where we will find out? Do they send us a separate link or do they put a message on the online application website?

After talking to some students in the program this year... I think they send you an email saying your application decision is ready, which directs you to the application hompage, which has a link at the bottom which opens a page with the letter on it. Sounds convoluded but a decision is a decision I suppose.

CHBD, Thanks for being the sacrificial lamb and calling for us. It would be nice if we knew today, but I think realistically it will be by next Friday.

Does anyone know where we will find out? Do they send us a separate link or do they put a message on the online application website?

Is anyone applying to the M.Ed. in Higher Education? I agree that final decisions will be posted on the application system sometime next week. I have come to realize that waiting is the hardest part of this whole process.

Is anyone applying to the M.Ed. in Higher Education? I agree that final decisions will be posted on the application system sometime next week. I have come to realize that waiting is the hardest part of this whole process.

I did.

I noticed you applied to UPenn too. Have you received a decision yet? I got my acceptance a couple weeks ago, but I'm still waiting on details about the visitation weekend. Then again I think last week was spring break at Penn, so maybe that is the cause of the hold up.

I only applied to two schools, UPenn and Harvard, so I'm really hoping for an acceptance from Harvard, that way I will have a choice.

Edited by Carolina2008

Awesome. Yes. I got my admissions decision from UPenn back in January. The internship coordinator contacted me to congratulate me on my acceptance to the program, and answer any immediate questions. She mentioned that they will be forwarding GA information to accepted students at the beginning of March. I expect that we will get more information this upcoming week. I have been accepted to all three schools. Now, I am just waiting on the Harvard decision. I am just so eager to find out. Both schools have exceptional programs, so we can't go wrong with either one. I have my fingers-crossed for the both of us.

I did.

I noticed you applied to UPenn too. Have you received a decision yet? I got my acceptance a couple weeks ago, but I'm still waiting on details about the visitation weekend. Then again I think last week was spring break at Penn, so maybe that is the cause of the hold up.

I only applied to two schools, UPenn and Harvard, so I'm really hoping for an acceptance from Harvard, that way I will have a choice.

Awesome. Yes. I got my admissions decision from UPenn back in January. The internship coordinator contacted me to congratulate me on my acceptance to the program, and answer any immediate questions. She mentioned that they will be forwarding GA information to accepted students at the beginning of March. I expect that we will get more information this upcoming week. I have been accepted to all three schools. Now, I am just waiting on the Harvard decision. I am just so eager to find out. Both schools have exceptional programs, so we can't go wrong with either one. I have my fingers-crossed for the both of us.

Great! So are you planning to attend visitation weekend? Admissions told me I should of heard from the Internship Coordinator by now, but I've yet to receive an email. All I've got from UPenn is a an admissions letter and a scholarship offer. Who contacted you exactly?

That said I'm eager to hear from Harvard too! Both are great schools, but I live within commuting distance of Harvard and it seems like Harvard has better financial aid. Are you leaning towards one school or another?

Just got another email reply from the M.Ed program coordinator that they will start sending out decisions starting from this week (date not specified). Good luck to every one!

Thanks for the info, Ellewy! What program are you applying to?

I'm on vacation in the Keys and I'm still checking Grad Cafe. Can't wait just to know, one way or the other.

Hi, I applied for the Technology and Education program. Waiting is definitely not that enjoyable... hope we will know the result soon.

Thanks for the info, Ellewy! What program are you applying to?

I'm on vacation in the Keys and I'm still checking Grad Cafe. Can't wait just to know, one way or the other.

Have read two new results of HGSE...congratulations!

To the person who is admitted to the human development and psychology program (if you can see this post): Where did you find the result? I just checked the website and found nothing...And I noticed there was a similar post of rejection below, with almost the same stats and program (the only difference is that the rejection is from the Ed.D. program). Is that you?

(If so, I guess perhaps when admitting Ed.M. students, they deal with those who also applied to the Ed.D. programs first, and then make decisions on those who only applied to the Ed.M. programs...just guessing so as to feel less anxious...)