Leaving Fulbright Period Early

SVN

Hi all:

I"m a current Fulbright ETA grantee considering leaving early. It's nothing to do with my living situation or my country--both are great! I simply don't like teaching as I thought I would. Not only do I not like it, it stresses me out, gives me anxiety problems, and makes me dread every morning. I like my students, it's simply the act of teaching I despise. And this feeling I know won't get any better. I should have applied for a research grant, but I believe that ship has sailed.

I'm going to finish this first semester in January then re-evaluate my position--and possibly quit.

My questions for this board are, what negative repercussions do you think leaving a Fulbright grant early will have? I'm not talking about financial issues, but more resume and grad school/future job issues.

--How bad will it look to have Fulbright on my resume for only 5-6 months instead of the full 9-month period?

--Will grad schools/employers actually contact Fulbright to ask why I didn't complete the term?

--Will I be missing out substantial Fulbright alum networking?

--Will this affect potential grant applications in the future?

Don't know if you'd know the answers to these questions, but I'm throwing them out there anyway.

Good luck with your applications, all!

Hey,

I'm also an current ETA, so I understand the pressure you are going through. If you definitely feel that you can't continue and you have something valuable that you could be doing elsewhere, I think it's fine to leave the program before the grant period ends. Does it suck? Kinda but you have to make the best decision for your life and future.

That said, there is a point where you are technically considered a "Fulbrighter" regardless of whether or not you actually finish the full term of your fellowship. I believe it's at the 6 month mark but I'm not completely sure. If you reach that point and leave you don't really need to tell anyone that you didn't finish; therefore, it shouldn't negatively affect your future at all.

I have a good friend that knows more about this than I do. Let me know if you need more info.

Hi all:

I"m a current Fulbright ETA grantee considering leaving early. It's nothing to do with my living situation or my country--both are great! I simply don't like teaching as I thought I would. Not only do I not like it, it stresses me out, gives me anxiety problems, and makes me dread every morning. I like my students, it's simply the act of teaching I despise. And this feeling I know won't get any better. I should have applied for a research grant, but I believe that ship has sailed.

I'm going to finish this first semester in January then re-evaluate my position--and possibly quit.

My questions for this board are, what negative repercussions do you think leaving a Fulbright grant early will have? I'm not talking about financial issues, but more resume and grad school/future job issues.

--How bad will it look to have Fulbright on my resume for only 5-6 months instead of the full 9-month period?

--Will grad schools/employers actually contact Fulbright to ask why I didn't complete the term?

--Will I be missing out substantial Fulbright alum networking?

--Will this affect potential grant applications in the future?

Don't know if you'd know the answers to these questions, but I'm throwing them out there anyway.

Good luck with your applications, all!

Thanks for the response, Ahab. In our Thanksgiving Skype call my parents threatened me with countless horror stories about how I'm throwing my future away and no one will ever look at my resume again etc, but I need some more on-the-ground input.

I'm looking into other job options in a nearby metropolis right now. I'm wary of leaving my position without another one lined up. Ahab, ıf you wouldnt mind sending me more ınformatıon from your friend ın a message, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey,

I'm also an current ETA, so I understand the pressure you are going through. If you definitely feel that you can't continue and you have something valuable that you could be doing elsewhere, I think it's fine to leave the program before the grant period ends. Does it suck? Kinda but you have to make the best decision for your life and future.

That said, there is a point where you are technically considered a "Fulbrighter" regardless of whether or not you actually finish the full term of your fellowship. I believe it's at the 6 month mark but I'm not completely sure. If you reach that point and leave you don't really need to tell anyone that you didn't finish; therefore, it shouldn't negatively affect your future at all.

I have a good friend that knows more about this than I do. Let me know if you need more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Also on a Fulbright right now, though not teaching. If you're making yourself miserable, your personal health should come first. If anyone asks, you explain that you had to leave for health reasons having to do with your situation in that particular country/city, and most people will understand.

But have you tried resolving the issue at all? I mean, do you think if you spoke with your country's Fulbright office, or with the university where you are teaching, or with IIE, that you might be able to adjust your teaching load, or see what might be able to be done to help? If it's simply the act of teaching that's bothering you maybe there's no way around it, but it sounds like your situation is a bit more stressful than other ETA's I know.

SVN, if you dont mind my asking, are you located in Turkey? I saw the characters in your post & i could recognize those "ı"s anywhere :)

If so, Im teaching English here, too, in Istanbul. If you need help, etc. please feel free to write.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you wondering, I have decided to stay for the rest of the year! For future readers or others contemplating the heave-ho: I have been reassured by professors and friends that leaving early wouldn't be a catastrophe, and most professors or employers would have no idea about the actual length of stay.

Best of luck to you all!

For those of you wondering, I have decided to stay for the rest of the year! For future readers or others contemplating the heave-ho: I have been reassured by professors and friends that leaving early wouldn't be a catastrophe, and most professors or employers would have no idea about the actual length of stay.

Best of luck to you all!

Great to hear, SVN! Bir nedenden dolayı herşey olur smile.gif

• 8 months later...