PhD Program Funding

So I've been thinking about whether or not to apply to CUNY because of their rather poor funding record (see CUNY funding post), and I thought it would be interesting to share info on which programs offer the best and worst funding.

From what my MA peers told me about last cycle, Vanderbilt offers wonderful funding (at least 25K a year + possible extra funds) while UCIrvine offered students <15K and poor housing options for Orange County. Other schools I've heard good things about are Northwestern and UC Davis, and schools I've heard are stingy and/or not forthcoming are CUNY (obvs) and UMass.

Cheers!

Hm, I don't know what you've heard about Davis specifically, but I would be wary about putting ANY of the UC's at the top of a list of programs that fund well. Make sure you look into that more closely.

Also, there are multiple aspects to consider when you talk about funding. Some programs distribute funding unevenly, so that certain students may get generous fellowship packages, while others are funded far more moderately, or incompletely, or not at all.

In addition to this, even recent history can be misleading in certain cases. A state's budget crisis could negatively impact a public school with a strong funding record, while something like a grant from the Mellon foundation could supplement a program that had been known to struggle with funding. Internal administrative changes could alter a program's funding policy as well.

With that said, I'm going to refrain from further speculation with respect to specific schools. Generally speaking, however, private universities and ivies *tend to* give consistently strong packages (and will reduce cohort size before they reduce funding - though that is true of many other schools as well), and I would advise that you look closely at the security of funding packages offered by public universities where the state they belong to is embroiled in particular financial difficulties.

Soxpuppet, Thanks for mentioning all the contingencies involved in funding. I assumed most programs were similar to where I got my MA and where my SO is doing hes phd-- if you're accepted, you the get the same package. And as private schools, state budget problems play less of a role too. It scares me to think of how iffy funding might be at public schools. It seems as if many schools I'm applying to are not this clear about funding, at least in what they post on their websites.

So to change the question a bit: would many of you even attend programs without guaranteed funding for 5 years? It seems like an obvious answer, no, but not everyone will get into Ivies or tip top programs who can definitely give you 20K a year. I'm thinking of schools like UMass, where it seems to be a year by year process and it's not even the Eng department or grad school that determines funding, but the writing center and need for instructors. Theoretically, this could work out, but then again maybe not.

Sorry if this is rambling...I'm stressed out about student loans and $ in general, and the idea of a precarious financial existence in grad school terrifies me.

Hm, I don't know what you've heard about Davis specifically, but I would be wary about putting ANY of the UC's at the top of a list of programs that fund well. Make sure you look into that more closely.

Oh, and the thing about Davis...my advisor wants me to apply there precisely because of their funding, which, as I told her, seems absolutely ludicrous (for any UC school). But she insisted, and an acquaintance who was accepted last year seconded, that they offer strong fellowships. Of course, this could be for like 5% of accepted students, and the rest get nothing. I will definitely look into that more before actually applying. No doubt one should be wary of a UC's funding, but I got my hopes up because I'd love to go there.

Most strong programs, as far as I am aware, still guarantee 5 years of funding. But they can't always guarantee what that funding will look like each year. What TAs are paid can vary based on a lot of factors, factors that are not always (not usually?) within a department's control.

It's really difficult to figure out this stuff in advance. Don't freak out about funding until February/March, when you are weighing acceptances. In the mean time, find schools where you are a strong fit, polish your application, and you will have a much stronger chance of getting a fellowship, or a strong funding package from a school you didn't expect it from.

So to change the question a bit: would many of you even attend programs without guaranteed funding for 5 years? It seems like an obvious answer, no, but not everyone will get into Ivies or tip top programs who can definitely give you 20K a year. I'm thinking of schools like UMass, where it seems to be a year by year process and it's not even the Eng department or grad school that determines funding, but the writing center and need for instructors. Theoretically, this could work out, but then again maybe not.

Davis is a great program, for sure, but...well, it's a UC school in the same budget crisis as the other UC schools. Also, apparently (if the information I received was correct), it is rare for humanities students to receive the university-wide fellowships for which they are nominated (which are supposed to be more generous)--it seems those fellowships tend to go to students in the hard sciences. I was accepted last year but would rather not go into detail on this forum about the funding package. I will say that while funding was guaranteed for for five years, it was iffy. That said, Davis is an awesome program, very up and coming, with a university administration that is extremely supportive (read: financially supportive) of the Graduate School.

Regarding unequal funding: out of all the programs where I was accepted last year, only one (a private school) offered equal funding to all students. I know it's not the case for all state schools, but most of them--and indeed, all of those to which I applied, let alone was accepted--offer fellowship- as well as TA-ship-based funding, which means not everyone makes the same amount. Some of them give extreeeeemely generous fellowships. But, they only go to certain students. It is also important to note that often these fellowships only last for the first year or two, and after that, you're funded by TA-ships which pay far less. At one program, my stipend would have been cut in half by the second year; the first-year fellowship I was offered was double the TA stipend (which would have provided my funding after the first year).

I also second everything Soxpuppet said.

Oh, and the thing about Davis...my advisor wants me to apply there precisely because of their funding, which, as I told her, seems absolutely ludicrous (for any UC school). But she insisted, and an acquaintance who was accepted last year seconded, that they offer strong fellowships. Of course, this could be for like 5% of accepted students, and the rest get nothing. I will definitely look into that more before actually applying. No doubt one should be wary of a UC's funding, but I got my hopes up because I'd love to go there.

Edited by Pamphilia

• 2 weeks later...

. Also, apparently (if the information I received was correct), it is rare for humanities students to receive the university-wide fellowships for which they are nominated (which are supposed to be more generous)--it seems those fellowships tend to go to students in the hard sciences.

It depends on the program, but I did receive a university-wide fellowship from Davis and know that my department regularly accrues such awards for its first years. It's been a fantastic cushion for my first year and I could not be more grateful for the situation. That being said, Davis is a UC and is not rolling in dough. The PhD funding situation will vary from department to department. We rarely (if ever) admit students without 5 years of funding. Other, larger humanities programs may not have the same policy.

Oh! I should also mention that the TA salary for UC graduate students is negotiated by the same union and is therefore consistent across UCs. Since humanities students usually rely on TA work as funding, you should research the cost of living across campuses. That will be the true difference in how far your stipend gets you. That being said, Davis may have been mentioned to you because the cost of living here is a little lower than it may be in Berkeley or LA. However, it's California. I'm not going to lie, it's slightly pricey but enough to make me perfectly comfortable.

I wish that there was a way of predicting this...but from my previous experience, there doesn't seem to be. My top offers each round always came from the strapped-for-cash public schools...that ones that you hear about in the news because the education system in said state is about to drop into the ocean. Ironically, the funding packages from those programs frequently topped out my Ivy league offers--sometimes by 5 figures each year. It's hard to make comparisons, since "fellowship" can mean different things at each program. At some schools, I would have had guaranteed teaching-free years for 2 or 3 (or even 4) years. At others, I was being offered a lot of cash, but would have had to teach the entire way through. Some programs let me combine TAships with fellowships, resulting in a pretty cushy salary. Others did not. Some schools offered the same funding package to every single accepted student. Others might give out offers that differed by 10,000...or more. (Some schools that claimed to offer the same package actually gave me a much higher offer, which makes me wonder about the across-the-board funding claims).

One note about the UC fellowships.... the information that you heard isn't quite true from my (not unconsiderable) experience. This varies from UC to UC, but Berkeley, UCLA, and Irvine at the very least tends to give out more fellowship than non-fellowship offers to their English PhD admittees, though the fellowships are distributed very different and at are different amounts. I would pay attention to the fine print on any UC offer and ask lots of questions (ONCE you're admitted--it just looks obnoxious to ask questions before you have an acceptance letter). The DGS's are expecting it. From my experience, the UC offers are (often--do ask around) far more generous. English Lit PhD students at one UC school, for example, can earn over $30,000 a year (for several years) when their fellowship, optional readerships, and summer funding stipends are taken into account. That isn't obvious from the acceptance letter...so it's something that you should poke around for. The situation may have changed in recent years, but Irvine and UCLA typically give out 5 year offers. Berkeley's offer letter is confusing, but one can assume 6-7 years worth of support for students who are given a fellowship (non-fellowship students are in an odd position for the first two years, but will receive full support from years 3-7). The support actually tends extends for much longer than that, as needed--but one can count of 7 years.

Soxpuppet, Thanks for mentioning all the contingencies involved in funding. I assumed most programs were similar to where I got my MA and where my SO is doing hes phd-- if you're accepted, you the get the same package. And as private schools, state budget problems play less of a role too. It scares me to think of how iffy funding might be at public schools. It seems as if many schools I'm applying to are not this clear about funding, at least in what they post on their websites.

Sorry if this is rambling...I'm stressed out about student loans and $ in general, and the idea of a precarious financial existence in grad school terrifies me.

You seem to be assuming that the Ivy's/private schools will give out better packages. This might be true as a very general trend, but there have been so many exceptions that this trend isn't very useful. I've applied to most of the top 25 English programs over the course of 3 rounds (long story), received offers from about half of them--all funded. If my (admitted antedocotal) offers are any indication, the Ivy's are actually in the middle in terms of funding. I've received perhaps 15 offers over the years. The top 6 funding packages (for me, at least) ALL came from public schools (and I have a knack for applying to schools that are facing the biggest funding issues). They offered not only a higher stipend overall, but more years on fellowship (ie, no teaching). And 2 out of my 3 application years were in the middle of this recess/crisis. This isn't to say that this is always the case...but I think it would be unwise to shy away from public schools simply because one expects them to have poor funding.

• 2 weeks later...

I can vouch for Vanderbilt's funding -- all students are given 5 years at around $25k/year (I want to say it's $24,500?).

Quite a number of the English students receive topping up fellowships in addition to the basic funding package...I know that in my cohort of 8 people (which is larger than normal, I think they usually shoot for 6) -- 5 received topping up fellowships. These range in ammount from an additional $6-10k/year for the five years. Previous cohorts seem to be similarly well-funded.

The fellowship is service-free for year one, and then years 2-5 you are responsible for one class each semester capped at 12 students.

There are also dissertation enhancement grants available that relieve one from teaching in the later years.

One neat thing that's also offered at Vanderbilt is that after you finish your dissertation in the 5th year, you are guaranteed a one year lectureship for year 6 with full pay and benefits that you can devote to being on the job market. Apparently it can be helpful to go on the job market with dissertation "in hand" and also not being trying to wrap up a dissertation and apply for jobs at the same time.

*Okay, I'll end my Vanderbilt plug here! :)

Besides the personal benefits of having a breat funding package, I think it's also important to keep in mind how much funding structures and packages influence the program environment. Programs that fund all students generously, it seems, tend to be less competitive, more collegial and collaborative. I can certainly say that is true for Vanderbilt's program. Other, larger or less generously funded programs tend to be more competitive, as students vie for limited fellowships and grants. This could or could not hold true generally -- my assumptions are based on my limited experiences with friends and family in various programs....

I wouldn't be quick to assume that one system is better than the other -- I believe it really depends on the person. Some people really do thrive and produce better work under the pressure and demands of a competitive environment. Others buckle under that sort of pressure. It's good to know what kind of environment you do your best work in.

I also agree that the private/public funding split doesn't always hold true. The funding pacakge at Rutgers is certainly generous than others I have seen at some of the big name private programs. It really depends. And as others have mentioned, even if the base package at a public program isn't great, almost all programs have topping up fellowships and additional funding opportunities that can make for a financially comfortable package.

At any rate, I think it's best to apply without regard to funding -- because you never know what your personal funding offer will be until you get that letter....it may be much better (or worse) than you expected.

If anyone else has any questions about or is interested in Vandy's program, I'd be happy to answer questions.

Good luck you guys (I promise you will live through this)!

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I got offers from several UCs and I am currently attending one of them, so I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of information about their funding.

Students have (mostly) even funding. In my program, the only exceptions are two people who received special, two year fellowships in the department's particularly strong sub-disciplines. This hasn't caused any jealousy or unequal treatment so far as I can tell - the other students could never have been eligible for those scholarships anyways because they are in different fields. UCLA, Cal, and UCI students get a little more money for their fellowships, which could probably be expected from the higher prestige. They also have a better chance for summer funding and dissertation fellowships. At least where I am, there are also lots of possible summer TA-ships, grants for conferences, and tutoring centers in the area where students can pick up extra cash.

TA funding is the same across all the campuses because we are unionized. We teach one class per quarter. I'm not sure how many students per class, but I think it is somewhere between 15-25 kids. None of the second years seem overwhelmed by their teaching responsibilities. I have guaranteed funding for five years, but according to the secretary there is never a problem funding a sixth year. I should specify that this might be particular to the English department, since TA-ships in writing are still relatively plentiful with our huge undergraduate population.

So far as living on the stipend - I'm in a really expensive area, definitely one of the most expensive out of all the UC towns. Everyone complains about the cost of the on-campus housing. That said, even the people who live on campus seem to have enough money for smartphones, organic food, and nights out drinking. I personally have no problems living on my stipend. I eat healthy, drink occasionally, support a kitten, pay for netflix, drive to local events, and can afford to visit family for the holidays.

Anyways, I just thought I would chip in from my experience. The quality of the education so far is absolutely incredible. If your interests fit best at one of the UCs, don't let funding scare you off from applying. We aren't starving :-P

Just a clarifying note - every UC I dealt with, which included flagship campuses and barely-in-the-top-50 programs, offered me a fellowship for my first year. Additionally, everyone in my ten-person cohort has a fellowship for at least the first year.