What music do you listen to?

eklavya

Great post! I like the following artists and want to expand my ipod with music of similar genres, any recommendation?

The Shins

Death Cab for Cuties

Cat Power

John Mayer

Rilo Kiley

Feist

Thanks!

Okay, I might be pointing out some super duper obvious ones, but just in case....

Feist/Rilo Kiley-esque:

She & Him - singer is Zooey Deschanel, the girl from 500 Days of Summer, I think?

Regina Spektor

Sia

Florence + the Machine

Lykke Li

obligatory "if you like Death Cab..." band:

The Postal Service

Sorry for the female singer bias!

Great post! I like the following artists and want to expand my ipod with music of similar genres, any recommendation?

The Shins

Death Cab for Cuties

Cat Power

John Mayer

Rilo Kiley

Feist

Thanks!

You might like some of these:

Band of Horses

Bon Iver

The Decemberists

Fleet Foxes

The National

The Shins

Death Cab for Cuties

Cat Power

John Mayer

Rilo Kiley

Feist

Thanks!

If you like the Shins, you'll like Broken Bells. It's James Mercer from the Shins and Dangermouse. They have one album out, and its really good.

I like a lot of music, and I'm really snobby about it too. Some artists/bands I like particularly separated by genre:

Porcupine Tree

Dream Theater

Pink Floyd (If I had to pick, they'd be my No. 1)

Led Zeppelin

The Who

King Crimson

Queen

The Beatles

Cream

Boston

Rush

Coldplay

Radiohead

The Shins

Gorillaz

Gnarls Barkley

Nitin Sawnhey

Sufjan Stevens

My Bloody Valentine

Arcade Fire

Broken Bells

Andrew Bird

Probably forgetting some important ones too.

Hey all,

I am thinking about updating/expanding my music collection over the Christmas break. Therefore I thought it would be neat to gather info on what kind of music you folks listen to. I am partly curious to know what genre of music us 'grad-wannabes' prefer, and if that has changed over the course of your college life. This would be not a bad idea to spend some waiting time!

Lets keep the format in this way:

Artist - Genre - Albums/Songs - Year

Your comments

Since budget comes into play, please list only those that fall into 'MUST BUY/LISTEN' category.

I'll start with few:

Bob Dylan - folk/blues/jazz/swing - all, i guess?

BB King, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters - (Chicago) blues/jazz - all

Coldplay - alt rock - all

Jack Johnson - soft rock/acoustics - all

If you can't tell already, I am a huge fan of oldies (esp. jazz fused) and don't have much knowledge on 'modern' songs. So please contribute!!

• 5 weeks later...

I used to be a music snob and say stuff like, "oh, yeah, I saw him in concert in Echo Park years ago... before he became famous and whatever" But today, I like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and that one Justin Beiber song, "baby". I only listen to the songs that are famous and are played over and over again in Forever 21 and sandwich shops. Teenager/Indie me would have put out a cigarette in current me's eye.

Through undergrad, I've gone from preferring country music to pop to rock (like Bob Dylan, The Doors, Beatles, Black Angels, BRMC) to predominantly classical (Paganini, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff are my favorites). I can't stand country anymore, but still listen to the other three - mostly the last two genres, though.

Let's see, I'll just rattle off some favorites:

Queen/Freddie Mercury

Pink Floyd

Nirvana

The Animals/Eric Burdon

Black Flag

Dead Kennedys

Rise Against

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

The Beatles/John Lennon

Garth Brooks

Bob Dylan

Heart

Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler

Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Gerry Rafferty

Tupac

Eminem

Red Hot Chili Peppers

James Taylor

Eric Clapton/Derek and the Dominoes

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Dr. Dre

Dion and the Belmonts

The Beach Boys

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

Johnny Cash

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers

Yeah, long list. Haha. And my favorite song of all time:

Edited by kotov

This might sound a little insane, but I've actually been actively seeking and listening to bands that have come out of the art schools I'm applying to. And it's really satisfying in a strange way because I can get a feel for the schools (and the idiosyncrasies of its students) in a completely different way.

and since we're approaching the Christmas season, here's my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE christmas song ever:

Hahah thank-you so much for this! I know it isn't Christmas anymore, but this song is pretty damn catchy!

• 2 weeks later...

While studying I listen to a lot of electronic, ambient, and chill music. Just to list a few that I listen to either in the car or while studying,

deadmau5

Moby

Nouvelle Vague

Gorillaz

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sigur Ros

Jon Hopkins

Thievery Corporation

Scroobius Pip

Daft Punk

Sufjan Stevens

Edited by Serenity

Here are some of my favorite albums:

1. Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn (My favorite band. Also check out Burn The Priest, New American Gospel, and Wrath)

2. Slayer - Reign in Blood

3. August Burns Red - Messengers (Another one of my favorite bands. Also see Constellations)

4. Job For A Cowboy - Doom, also see Genesis

5. Various Artists - The Official Soundtrack to the Motion Picture "The Office" (Some great 90's rap on here)

But when I study I like to listen to the Avante Garde Jazz station on Pandora.