The 'addict' thread

eklavya

I haven't checked my applications as it is pointless... until February!

I am a GradCafe addict. I keep checking every half an hour. I need something to distract me. ... I need a new TV show to watch. Any ideas?

watch "the wire." its amazing! very addicting and there are 5 seasons.

Edited by gradschoolwhat

• 1 month later...

I am everygirl. Like everyone else, I am an addict. First step is admitting it.

My email is hooked up to my phone, so there's no point in refreshing the page constantly. I do anyway.

I work in an office with access to the internet, so I check the gradcafe results page. Hourly. Despite the policy of acceptable use of technology, I keep it up on my browser. Next to my email.

I also constantly google my POIs. I don't know what I expect to find, but it's occasionally interesting. One of them is a runner and I know his latest time.

I am everygirl. Like everyone else, I am an addict. First step is admitting it.

My email is hooked up to my phone, so there's no point in refreshing the page constantly. I do anyway.

I work in an office with access to the internet, so I check the gradcafe results page. Hourly. Despite the policy of acceptable use of technology, I keep it up on my browser. Next to my email.

I also constantly google my POIs. I don't know what I expect to find, but it's occasionally interesting. One of them is a runner and I know his latest time.

Ditto- I work in an office, and having a computer in front of me for hours on end has made me even further addicted to checking anything and everything that will yield any sort of results- positive or negative. It's the not knowing that is driving me insane!

Ditto- I work in an office, and having a computer in front of me for hours on end has made me even further addicted to checking anything and everything that will yield any sort of results- positive or negative. It's the not knowing that is driving me insane!

I refresh Gmail all day at work and sometimes simultaneously check the inbox on my phone – mindlessly expecting something different even though it is linked to the same Gmail account.

I frequently check ApplyYourself , even though the adcom said they will send an e-mail when a decision is available. What if the e-mail is lost? Addiction/paranoia

My name is jaxzwolf, and I deflect my addiction. Instead of constantly refreshing my email, I have begun turning my attention toward other things. In the past two weeks I've had a soda-drinking relapse (a very serious relapse-- carbonated beverages anonymous, anyone?) and become absolutely obsessed with a television show. Healthier outlets might have included woodworking, running, or reading, but I chose a dangerous path-- Pepsi and TV. I need help.

Or, you know, for a few acceptances and it to be April 15th already.

I'm an addict and I got admitted without a mail for 2 days now, after checking status page nonstop, from the time I clicked the submit button. I'm still addicted for the mail to come. I find headshots(in FPS) a good way to turn my attention other than going to office and trying to work

Edited by rejectMeNot

I'm an addict and I got admitted without a mail for 2 days now, after checking status page nonstop, from the time I clicked the submit button...

way to go! being an addict is not entirely a bad thing then, eh? :D

Heh, I'm an addict, too. I don't check the websites, but I'm here every day. Despite my remaining schools informing me I wouldn't know until April. No news for over a month already and I've still got half a month to go before finding out the inevitable soul-crushing news. I've got to keep sane somehow! Cruising GradCafe does that.

After I got interviewed by a professor,not POI, I've been checking his web page everyday, expecting to find something, don't know what, and started religiously following all the professors, cos i don know who might interview me next

(stands)

My name is falling_leaves and I am currently checking my e-mail and the GradCafe forum for any hint of a reply from unnamed dream university. It is almost midnight. I have to read 3 pages of what is known as "one of the greatest Chinese classics," but all I can think about is "Admit me please." I will be sleeping in about 1 hour and won't have time to go online until at least 16 1/2 hours later. Thank God for my new love of bettering myself through music.