The 'addict' thread

eklavya

Hey all. Thanks to 'ScreamingHairyArmadillo', I came up with this idea. We all are super addicted to checking out application status and emails bazillion times a day, and that's not good. So, lets face that we are addicts and vent the anxiety here.

This should be self-explanatory. I'll start:

Hi, my name is bhikhaari and I am an application addict.

I have been clean for 8 hours now (barely woke up). I think I can hold up until noon. I need help! :(

I am definitely an addict! I need something to pass my time with a distract me so I don't go crazy!!

I just need help getting through this week and then my lab work will pick up again and I should be okay!

Discussion forum addict. This one and the philosophy who_got_in. Haven't looked at my applications, not even once, but maybe the addiction will shift in the mid-February time range. If I survive until then.

Hey, god, it's me again. Save me from myself. Hugs, MegMill.

I haven't checked my applications as it is pointless... until February!

I am a GradCafe addict. I keep checking every half an hour. I need something to distract me. ... I need a new TV show to watch. Any ideas?

I, too, am both a grad school and a gradcafe addict...the saddest part is that it's the middle of finals, I have three papers to write, and I still spend time just looking at my schools' websites. As if something will have changed.

Hi, my name is katerific, and I am an addict. Specifically, I am addicted to thegradcafe forums, cool research, staring at my SOP for absurd amounts of time, and freaking out over little kinks in the application process. And procrastination.

I'm still not clean of my habit of working on my applications and submitting them, but I hope to phase that out of my life before the year ends. I can do it with a good support group, I think. But the road won't be easy. I'm a bit concerned about me possibly developing a bad habit of checking my application status incessantly after I submit my applications. I have reason to believe that I am at a "high risk" for that.

Oh dear. Just wait until the RSS feed starts telling you when other people heard from the school/program you applied to and you haven't yet... It then becomes an every minute on the minute checking frenzy! Sorry... thats probably not helpful to your 12 step program!!

• 4 weeks later...

lol, what if I was doing fine for the day until I found this thread and then reading it may me realize that I HADN'T checked websites for today (email, yes, about a million times, but websites and application statuses, no). I was doing so well...

But I'm an addict.

I'm Paigeski and I'm very much an addict, especially about checking the results page on gradcafe to see what schools have started accepting. I've searched my top school numerous times (even though there haven't been results yet and the first time I checked, I got results from last year) but I search everyday just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I also check my application numerous times a day, just in case they make a decision very quickly...lol

Exercise has been a big help, as well as keeping busy. But, I know when I'm back at work sitting all day with the internet conveniently in front of me, I will be checking every 5 seconds when we aren't busy.....I know there's no point ha. I also google search my school and the department, hoping for clues when they will decide.

*sigh* I hope January goes by quick!

I haven't checked my applications as it is pointless... until February!

I am a GradCafe addict. I keep checking every half an hour. I need something to distract me. ... I need a new TV show to watch. Any ideas?

I've been watching Arrested Development, The Office, True Blood and Big Love. Although, I hear Modern Family is pretty funny? I also exercise a lot to keep my mind off it. I guess that's one good thing about waiting!

The schools I applied to don't have an application, you just mail it to them. They have no site where you can log on and check the application of your status, which is probably good because I would hit the refresh button on my browser every 5 seconds. However, because there is no site to check the status of my application, I check the results board every day, several times a day, i refresh the browser on my email every 5 minutes just in case I got an email and I jump up every time I hear my phone ring because i think it may be my dream school calling to say they would like to extend an interview.

Last night I had a dream the results board on this site crashed for a coupe of days, that is how I know, I am addicted to checking the status. Hi.

I also have been watching the office and shows on tbs.com, hulu.com, and of course southparkstudios.com

I've been watching Arrested Development, The Office, True Blood and Big Love. Although, I hear Modern Family is pretty funny? I also exercise a lot to keep my mind off it. I guess that's one good thing about waiting!

let's put this is the 'movies/tv' thread we have in the 'waiting it out' forum! :)

good luck with the waiting! as for me, my classes (last sem) have started, so that'll hopefully provide some remedy. and am writing up another paper. so yeah, some stress off of the mind but still, waiting is no fun.

Last night I had a dream the results board on this site crashed for a coupe of days, that is how I know, I am addicted to checking the status. Hi.

I also have been watching the office and shows on tbs.com, hulu.com, and of course southparkstudios.com

dude, looking at the results section, it appears that lots of neuro programs have started sending out invites. i wish you all best!

and yeah, south park rocks. progressively, randy marsh is on track to be my idol. THEY TOOK OUR JOBS! hehe

Yeah, a lot of neuroscience stuff has come in, thankfully I work as a research assistant in the department I am applying and I know they don't meet about applications until next week (whew). It's a little too close for comfort.

Hi, my name is EricaMarie, and I'm a GradCafe addict. I check the results page numerous times a day, and have to force myself not to check the school websites for information.

So far, doing pretty good....except with GradCafe.

Ironically, I work in a drug addiction lab, and I am addicted to checking the results. I didn't put X and Y together until I read your post :( Dang it.

At least we are all in this together... Woo hoo, it's a quarter of the way through January. Soon February will creep around the corner and in no time we will all be cured of our addictions.... maybe......

My problems are escalating. The mailman just parked his little truck outside my house, then crossed the street and started walking the other direction. Presumably, he will make a loop, ending with my house. I find this very distressing and am wondering about the legal ramifications of tackling said mailman and rummaging through his rucksack to make sure there aren't any grad school letters for me. Three more months . . .

This is really sad. My SOPs and CV have a link to my portfolio URL. My portfolio URL has Vimeo clips embedded in it. I keep checking the number of views on my Vimeo account to try to guess if adcomms have looked at my work. I guess I could have put a hit counter on my portfolio site instead, but web publishing ain't my thing, and I didn't feel like figuring out how to do that.

"Hello, my name is Bison and I am an addict."

"Hello, Bison."

"Uh, thanks. About a year ago I began my addiction to checking application statuses. At first, it was just some experimentation, but soon I was a full blown addict. After hitting rock bottom on April 15th of last year I quit for almost 8 months. This past December was a stressful month for me, so I began to crave my old vice. I decided to not go back to heroine (checking application statuses), instead I went to the methadone clinic (GradCafe). Now I am addicted to GradCafe forums, results page, and checking email. Thank you for listening."

Edited by Bison