iamuberpro

I'm applying for PHD in chemical engineering in 10 programs,

3.5 GPA, 3.98 Major GPA, 780 Math GRE

applied to schools over a huge range in graduate school rank #4-40

submited everything jan 14 (mailed stuff way earlier),

haven't heard anything from any school

I figure I was rejected everywhere from the silence,

time to get a taco bell application?

Time to make some phone calls. Just call the programs and ask. They aren't going to blacklist you, nor will they hunt you down and egg your house.

You did, however, confirm with the program that all the materials were in, right?

I agree. It's about time anyways. Call them if you haven't done that already.

I said in another forum that it was too early to begin bugging programs until the end of March. I'm looking at the results page from 2007 and 2006 and I am seeing a lot of people find out in early, middle, and even late April. But now I'm seeing students contacting the secretaries ten times and I am wondering if I am being too patient. I am afraid to contact the schools this early because if I am wait-listed and I ask them why they're taking so long, they may figure out that I already got in somewhere else and send me a flat rejection. Programs don't really care about students not offered admission in the first round much.

But the bottom line is that I am still haven't heard anything from nine programs (although I have been blessed with six offers of admission and zero rejections so far, I am still waiting for my top three schools). I want to think that I was wait-listed, but some schools reject students and don't tell you.

If I should contact any schools, how should I go about doing that in a way that will maximize their chances of admitting me later? I am "on the bubble" at a few schools and this is very delicate matter. I also may want to indicate that I am in no hurry to decide and that I am willing to wait as long as it takes. Any ideas?

I have yet to hear from two schools. One I'm 99% sure I'm not going there anyway (and there's just that much chance I'll be rejected) but the other I've been interested in and it will be a tough choice if I get in between that and the one I'm already admitted to. No way would I be able to choose without visiting both.

The thing is, I need to find out very soon (like this week) because I need to price watch and plan to visit all schools that I'm considering during my week-long Spring break in two weeks. That is the only time I have to visit before April 15th. Likewise, I don't want to have to fly back and forth between where I am now and elsewhere because of $$$. And the grad director wants to talk with me about plans this week.

I just told them why (which seems like a good reason) and asked if they could give me any information at all to help me plan or inform me of whom to contact. Every program was understanding and responded politely except those two. But I can't just wait until April to plan my whole Spring break w/plane tickets in just one week.

all materials are in, I actually didn't apply to any schools that do not have an online application I can easily use.

I don't mind the waiting, i think the real question is are they going to let me know before april 15th? Because that would be nice

otherwise I think i'll stay in school another year and get a chemistry degree as well

I have gotten the impression, at least from browsing the grad cafe site, that April 15 is the latest schools tend to notify (exempting waitlisted) and that those schools that wait til April 15 then lose some candidates- since many schools expect responses accepting their offers by April 15th as well.

I agree with the people that said to call. I've called two schools to find out why I still hadn't heard anything. It is perfectly valid--we did pay to apply after all. We deserve to know if we are waitlisted, and if not, we at least deserve the writing on cheap paper with words of regret if we didn't get in. No news at this point might very well mean good news, unless your schools say that they notify later than the normal deadline. On the phone, I found out from one school that I was first on the waitlist, and the other school told me that I would receive a letter in the mail shortly (and I was offered an MA instead of the Ph.D). It can't hurt to call. They will either say that you are on the waitlist, 'I'm sorry we were not able to offer you admission this year', or they will tell you that you will receive a decision in the mail shortly. If you don't want to call, then you can also email someone in the department. I have not had much luck with this though.

I hope it turns out well! Good luck. I don't know the first thing about Chemical Engineering, but I hope you get in if that is what you want to do.

I . If you don't want to call, then you can also email someone in the department. I have not had much luck with this though.

I agree. I think they all have some sort of automated reply in this regard. I had waited more than three months from the deadline and e-mailed to a school. One or two days later, I received acceptance but on the next day, I got the reply of my e-mail saying that they would take few more weeks to take decision on my admission. :D

You all need to chill! Calling them a bunch of times is not going to change the decision, and in fact might interfere with their thoughts of you. Personally, I'd just wait. Get over the "need to know" now mentality, and deal with the delay. Different programs have different decision dates, and different programs have different ways of communicating their decisions. Look at the results search on this website -- some programs showered decisions in February, and some made no decisions until Mid-late March. Some seem to take even longer to decide. You calling them is NOT going to make them like you. They will let you know in good time. Treat it as a zen exercize. Take a deep breath in, breath out, and let it go.

Just an FYI: I've heard from 3/4. School 1 is a great offer (full tuition remission and R.A. stipend), School 2 is out of the picture (no funding and not as good a program as school 1), School 3 I just heard from on Friday, and it was my top pick at the get-go and better ranked than School 1, but they have not offered me any funding nor even any communication beyond an email saying I was admitted, and School 4 I am still waiting on.

You all need to chill! Calling them a bunch of times is not going to change the decision, and in fact might interfere with their thoughts of you. Personally, I'd just wait.

As much as I hate to admit it, you are right. I'm driving myself nuts waiting to hear from the ONLY program I applied to. The reality of the process is that things in academics move at a snails pace. You have to remember that the profs who are on the admission committee also have research obligations, courses to teach, conferences to prepare for and other committees they serve on. They might meet only once or twice in a month to discuss the pool of applicants to narrow down the field. They are slow, but they are thorough.

Hang in there (said the pot to the kettle!). You'll find out soon enough....

Yes, academics does move slowly. I applied for a job (dropped off the application packet), and it took six weeks to get an email that said "We got your application. It is complete, and we will begin reviewing applicants soon."

~palla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About 2 weeks ago, my top choice school told me that I have been placed on their waitlist. The letter for waitlist was ready to be send out. 2 weeks later, I still haven't received the letter yet. What's going on? I don't think I am admitted just yet. Just trying to figure out how come they didn't send me the waitlist notification as they said they would.......... can anyone help me read between the lines? Thanks a lot!

About 2 weeks ago, my top choice school told me that I have been placed on their waitlist. The letter for waitlist was ready to be send out. 2 weeks later, I still haven't received the letter yet. What's going on? I don't think I am admitted just yet. Just trying to figure out how come they didn't send me the waitlist notification as they said they would.......... can anyone help me read between the lines? Thanks a lot!

After I emailed one of my schools to ask about my admission status, I received a response with a .doc attachment that was formatted like a formal letter to notify me that I was on the waitlist. I kept expecting the same letter to show up in my mailbox, but it never did. Maybe they don't waste the stamps on people who already know their position, especially if it's only a temporary position.