Adding Something to Your App After Sending it in?

Zouzax

So, I sent in all of my applications over a month ago. I was perfectly happy with them, until I realized the other day that I didn't mention my blog in any of them. I have an academic blog that's related to my field, & I'm thinking it would've been nice to give the address to the adcom, if they're interested in seeing some of my recent work (especially since the writing sample I sent in is completely unrelated to my field, since my Master's thesis (which is more relevant) is nowhere near ready for submission).

Is it possible to send a 'heads up' email to the adcom, letting them know I have this blog, that if they're interested they can see some of my 'language-related' work? Or should I just wait, see if I get any interviews, then mention it then? I'm really torn between these two options. On the other hand, I'm afraid my lack of a relevant writing sample will hurt me, too.....

So, I sent in all of my applications over a month ago. I was perfectly happy with them, until I realized the other day that I didn't mention my blog in any of them. I have an academic blog that's related to my field, & I'm thinking it would've been nice to give the address to the adcom, if they're interested in seeing some of my recent work (especially since the writing sample I sent in is completely unrelated to my field, since my Master's thesis (which is more relevant) is nowhere near ready for submission).

Is it possible to send a 'heads up' email to the adcom, letting them know I have this blog, that if they're interested they can see some of my 'language-related' work? Or should I just wait, see if I get any interviews, then mention it then? I'm really torn between these two options. On the other hand, I'm afraid my lack of a relevant writing sample will hurt me, too.....

I agree that it would be a good idea to include the link to you blog in your application. But letting them know about it now would be a problem...

I would not send an email to adcoms, because that seems a bit strange.

How many applications do you have? Have the deadlines already passed? You could add the link to your CV, for example, or include it in your SOP and ask graduate secretaries if you can send them a new version (of CV or SOP). What do you think?

Edited by Strangefox

Are you in a field where you contact POI's before applying? If so you could email them - it would serve as a reminder to look for your application in addition to letting them know about the blog.

Alternatively, I have seen it on these boards before that departments will sometimes let you substitute out certain materials if the application has not yet gone for review. You could try emailing appropriate person (graduate secretary or coordinator, whoever the main admissions contact seems to be) to see if that is possible for a revised CV.

Yea, I agree... edit your CV/resume and send it to the gradsec. I completely forgot to send my resume to one of the schools and I emailed the graduate program coordinator (he also happens to be the HoD of the program I am applying) asking if they could add my resume to the application packet. He said yes and saved the day. Your situation isn't too different, so I think you'll be fine.

Are you in a field where you contact POI's before applying? If so you could email them - it would serve as a reminder to look for your application in addition to letting them know about the blog.

Is there a field where contacting your POI after you submitted the application but before you heard any news from the program not awkward? I am not sure...

EDIT: I mean, even if OP has contacted a POI before applying, I believe the general opinion about this issue on this forum was that contacting profs after you have submitted documents but before the program has made a decision is not a very good idea...

Edited by Strangefox

thanks for the advice, guys. I'm a little bummed I didn't think of this beforehand, but I havent kept up with it this semester so it never even crossed my mind until now ...

If the general consensus is that contacting professors after sending in an application is a big mistake, I won't do it. I AM considering sending a revised resume with the web address on it to the department secretary, however. Maybe I'll think about it a few more weeks before making my decision. Interviews aren't requested in my department until late January anyway, from what I could gather ...

thanks for the advice, guys. I'm a little bummed I didn't think of this beforehand, but I havent kept up with it this semester so it never even crossed my mind until now ...

If the general consensus is that contacting professors after sending in an application is a big mistake, I won't do it. I AM considering sending a revised resume with the web address on it to the department secretary, however. Maybe I'll think about it a few more weeks before making my decision. Interviews aren't requested in my department until late January anyway, from what I could gather ...

I wouldn't contact the professors in the department about this - just e-mail the grad department office. That's what I did when I forgot to upload a couple of extra things required by two programs, and the person at the grad office just told me to attach it to an e-mail and they'd add it to my file.