Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

What does everyone think of the UCSD acceptance that was posted? Real, or troll?

Someone claimed it earlier in this thread, which probably means it's real. That being said, it's really strange that there was only one, which leads me to believe that they must not be done with offers yet. Best of luck!

Is anyone else feeling intense resentment towards the schools that rejected you? It's a funny feeling, because I know it's nothing personal, and perhaps my application just wasn't comparable to others, for fit or for credentials. But right now I'm in an "I'll show them" mood, fantasizing about possible future scenarios in which I, as a future eminent scholar, could stick it to them hard. I don't know, my feelings about this whole process have taken a dark turn lately. Someone give me some good news or else put me out of my misery.

I felt that way about the law schools that rejected me six years ago. Then my law school performance proved that the foolish schools were the ones that let me in.

What I'm feeling now is the dawning realization that just about every aspect of my application could be improved, which, given the competitiveness of programs at issue, means they must be improved for me to stand a chance. Next will come the difficult decision of what to do about that.

It is really looking like I am going to get shut out. 4 rejections so far and 4 of the other 5 schools I applied to have already released results and I have not heard anything. Not a happy day for me. I hope tomorrow is better.

Is anyone else feeling intense resentment towards the schools that rejected you? It's a funny feeling, because I know it's nothing personal, and perhaps my application just wasn't comparable to others, for fit or for credentials. But right now I'm in an "I'll show them" mood, fantasizing about possible future scenarios in which I, as a future eminent scholar, could stick it to them hard. I don't know, my feelings about this whole process have taken a dark turn lately. Someone give me some good news or else put me out of my misery.

Funny story. While a student in the department I attended before transferring here, I took a class with a guy at a top five department that I really wanted to go to. I didn't go to that school at the time, but I was able to take the class through some funding allocated for inter-university cooperation. After the class, I emailed him letting him know that I was applying to transfer there, and that I hoped my performance in the class would be enough for him to consider my application a bit harder than usual. I got no response from him, and I was rejected later on that year.

I transferred to another place, and as luck would have it, that very professor came to give an invited talk. I totally had images of "oh look at me now" in my head. I saw him in the hall that morning, and he comes up to me and says "what are you doing here?" I said "I transferred here." He goes "from my department?!? Why?!?!" I re-explained; he thought I was a student in his department the whole time.

So I had a meeting with him that afternoon, and he asked me why I didn't apply to transfer to his department. I told him that I did, but that I was rejected. He goes "Oh, f**k!" I said, "oh, no, don't worry---I'm really happy here, and while I would have loved working with you, it's not awkward for me now." He goes: "oh, no, it's not that. I just know what people we admitted and they suck."

I stopped harboring any ill will right after that. This is such a random process. You can think you have every in possible---you can get an A+ from your would-be advisor in a graduate class while writing a paper he or she loves---and still get rejected. It's just numbers. Keep your motivation internal, because the business and these other places aren't worth your time. You'll do great: ninety-eight and three quarters percent guaranteed.

Edited by coachrjc

Yeah, still too chicken. This long a wait, it can't really be good news, can it?

Has anybody whose still in limbo with Northwestern contacted to department to see what's up? Too chicken to do it myself, but thought I'd put it out there.....

Have any admits heard anything from UVA regarding funding, or, well, anything, really? An admit weekend?

I'm not wholly comfortable getting in their face regarding money a mere day after they sent out responses, but I haven't heard anything from the department, yet - just the grad school.

You will feel a lot better when you get the first acceptance. Trust me and hang in there.

This is such a great story, thanks for sharing.

And so true. There are mixed signals within departments, and with such high calibre applications, there' s a lot of luck in play here - maybe someone on the adcomm will get your personal statement stuck in their head and love you - maybe they'll misread you and find you ridiculous. No need to give up hope until they've all come back and you've been rejected across the board. Then I'd give myself a day (read: week) to wallow in self hatred before regrouping and learning from this mess.

Funny story. While a student in the department I attended before transferring here, I took a class with a guy at a top five department that I really wanted to go to. I didn't go to that school at the time, but I was able to take the class through some funding allocated for inter-university cooperation. After the class, I emailed him letting him know that I was applying to transfer there, and that I hoped my performance in the class would be enough for him to consider my application a bit harder than usual. I got no response from him, and I was rejected later on that year.

I transferred to another place, and as luck would have it, that very professor came to give an invited talk. I totally had images of "oh look at me now" in my head. I saw him in the hall that morning, and he comes up to me and says "what are you doing here?" I said "I transferred here." He goes "from my department?!? Why?!?!" I re-explained; he thought I was a student in his department the whole time.

So I had a meeting with him that afternoon, and he asked me why I didn't apply to transfer to his department. I told him that I did, but that I was rejected. He goes "Oh, f**k!" I said, "oh, no, don't worry---I'm really happy here, and while I would have loved working with you, it's not awkward for me now." He goes: "oh, no, it's not that. I just know what people we admitted and they suck."

I stopped harboring any ill will right after that. This is such a random process. You can think you have every in possible---you can get an A+ from your would-be advisor in a graduate class while writing a paper he or she loves---and still get rejected. It's just numbers. Keep your motivation internal, because the business and these other places aren't worth your time. You'll do great: ninety-eight and three quarters percent guaranteed.

I'm currently faculty at a place that rejected me for grad admissions. I know several other people in the same situation at other departments.

This is such a great story, thanks for sharing.

And so true. There are mixed signals within departments, and with such high calibre applications, there' s a lot of luck in play here - maybe someone on the adcomm will get your personal statement stuck in their head and love you - maybe they'll misread you and find you ridiculous. No need to give up hope until they've all come back and you've been rejected across the board. Then I'd give myself a day (read: week) to wallow in self hatred before regrouping and learning from this mess.

Yeah, still too chicken. This long a wait, it can't really be good news, can it?

I was also hoping someone else would bite this bullet. Mostly I think I don't really want to hear someone say the word "rejected" directly so I'd rather continue to keep the hope alive.

I'm one of the people who have yet to hear from UCLA. I'm not optimistic though, I'm guessing they are pulling a Northwestern and staggering their rejections over the period of a few days. Because they are evil.

I mean, one of the people who was rejected from UCLA describes themselves thusly: "Ivy grad with highest honors. Paper published. Internship/work experience at prestigious institutions and organizations."

That's not me. That's *really* not me. If that person can't get in, what chance do I have?

Edited by bugbear

I'm one of the people who have yet to hear from UCLA. I'm not optimistic though, I'm guessing they are pulling a Northwestern and staggering their rejections over the period of a few days. Because they are evil.

I mean, one of the people who was rejected from UCLA describes themselves thusly: "Ivy grad with highest honors. Paper published. Internship/work experience at prestigious institutions and organizations."

That's not me. That's *really* not me. If that person can't get in, what chance do I have?

Comfort yourself in thinking the UCLA reject is probably a troll because I'd like to believe that is too douchey to be real.

Can someone provide me the justification for sending the rejects two weeks after all acceptances were sent? I have not heard from Ohio State, but feel certain it will be a rejection.

I didn't get an e-mail from OSU; I just happened to check the app status page and it was there. Have you checked there?

And thanks everyone for the responses to my earlier post. That was a great story; I only hope something similar for me.

I didn't get an e-mail from OSU; I just happened to check the app status page and it was there. Have you checked there?

And thanks everyone for the responses to my earlier post. That was a great story; I only hope something similar for me.

My status says in review on the website.

Have any admits heard anything from UVA regarding funding, or, well, anything, really? An admit weekend?

I'm not wholly comfortable getting in their face regarding money a mere day after they sent out responses, but I haven't heard anything from the department, yet - just the grad school.

It sounds to me that UVA decides on funding in April, at least according to the letter. That said, someone in last year's admit cycle wrote that they had e-mailed and gotten a tentative funding package much earlier. I'll probably be mailing them tomorrow to ask about that and what the deal is with their admit weekend.

Last year, the first batch of Harvard admits came out Thurs and Friday of this week.

Really doesn't matter at this point. Stanford was a no, and the blank from Chicago tells me I'm about to get a big fat rejection there as well. Since the latter was rather at the bottom of my list (not a safety, obviously, but one of the less competitive places, at least according to stats), it looks ever more like I'll be getting a blank this year.

Edited by balderdash

Really doesn't matter at this point. Stanford was a no, and the blank from Chicago tells me I'm about to get a big fat rejection there as well. Since the latter was rather at the bottom of my list (not a safety, obviously, but one of the less competitive places, at least according to stats), it looks ever more like I'll be getting a blank this year.

I'm with you. The implied ding at UCSD makes me 0 for 6.

Great work, Tufnel!

Edited by GopherGrad