UNC-Chapel Hill

europa

Hi all,

Are there others applying to UNC? Does anyone know of any specifics, like how many people they're taking in European (French and German) history this year, or if their funding situation has improved since last year?

It's by far my top choice and I'm so anxious!

Europa,

Don't know about their European quota for the year, but I do know of the general situation. Instead of admitting 25 as they have done in the past, they are only admitting 14 this year, as they did last year. Because of that, their stipend of 15K will still be offered.

Europa,

Don't know about their European quota for the year, but I do know of the general situation. Instead of admitting 25 as they have done in the past, they are only admitting 14 this year, as they did last year. Because of that, their stipend of 15K will still be offered.

Oh, that's wonderful news.

Blargh.

As usual, they will be taking far more Germanists than any other sub-European specialty. UNC is probably the best place in the country for modern German history, and they have a large number of faculty specializing in that field, so consequently they can accommodate more grad students. If you're leaning more toward Germany, than statistically you have a better chance (although a higher number of fellow applicants in that field might offset this).

• 4 weeks later...