Social Psychology Application Thread 2010-2011

A. sesquipedale

It looks like notifications of rejections at Virginia social psych have started to be posted.

My questions is: Who here has yet to hear anything from UVA social psych yet? (Supposedly, some people were "notified" of their rejection simply by checking their online application. So, you might want to double check there before posting here.)

I am one that has yet to hear anything -- at least yet to hear anything directly from the department -- no invite, no waitlist, no rejection.

Like I said before, I know unofficially that I am more than likely out at UVA, via information passed from my POI at UVA to one of my current professors. However, supposedly, even though my professor noted that it looked like I was out, he also said that my POI at UVA had very positive things to say about my application. Might there be an unofficial second-tier waitlist? Even if there was such a thing, and even if I am on it, I am not holding my breath. (I take it that it is highly unlikely to come off of an unofficial second-tier waitlist. So, even if I was on such a thing, I still take it that I am more than likely out of the running.)

And a follow question: To those who have been notified of rejection, who was your POI? And how were you notified?

It looks like notifications of rejections at Virginia social psych have started to be posted.

My questions is: Who here has yet to hear anything from UVA social psych yet? (Supposedly, some people were "notified" of their rejection simply by checking their online application. So, you might want to double check there before posting here.)

I am one that has yet to hear anything -- at least yet to hear anything directly from the department -- no invite, no waitlist, no rejection.

Like I said before, I know unofficially that I am more than likely out at UVA, via information passed from my POI at UVA to one of my current professors. However, supposedly, even though my professor noted that it looked like I was out, he also said that my POI at UVA had very positive things to say about my application. Might there be an unofficial second-tier waitlist? Even if there was such a thing, and even if I am on it, I am not holding my breath. (I take it that it is highly unlikely to come off of an unofficial second-tier waitlist. So, even if I was on such a thing, I still take it that I am more than likely out of the running.)

And a follow question: To those who have been notified of rejection, who was your POI? And how were you notified?

I do find it odd what has come out about Virginia on here. There has been a wave of waitlists and a wave of rejections, but others haven't heard anything. And there has been one person who said the received an interview invite, but he/she wouldn't respond to me asking about it. I also called the admin assistant for the social program on Thursday and she said that they were still in the process of sending out invites. So who knows what their timeline is really.

i know for a fact that most of the professors there bring applications with them... at night when everyone else is sleeping they go into a secret room in a basement, pass around applicants personal statements and have a grand ol' time laughing it up

And then they make paper boats out of our applications and send them out to float on the San Antonio River!

Come to think of it, for every rejection letter I get I would like to do something like that.

Ok, so three things:

1) Apparently Virginia interviews in waves. There is often a first interview date and a second. Why that is or what the difference is between the two sets, I have no idea.

2) Someone asked about Columbia and Harvard, and I know Harvard's interview is next week, but Columbia's isn't until the end of February. Both have sent out interview offers, but since Columbia's is so far away, it is still conceivable that you could get an interview offer.

3) Did anyone see that post last night on the results page from someone in clinical who said that he wanted to check if the information being posted was correct, so he contacted the schools he applied to, and about 50% of what had been posted was a flat out lie?! Why on earth would anyone do that? To all those people posting fake information, get a life!

SPSP is this weekend. Our former/current advisors are down in San Antonio having fun and schmoozing with their friends and colleagues, maybe attending/giving a lecture or two. Some may even be networking on our behalf. My advisor didn't go, and neither did our colleague at NYU.

According to the rumor mill, the internet, and our own neuroses, many professors discuss prospective grad students (yeah, us) with each other at SPSP. Many of us are currently on the edge of our seats, waiting expectantly and fidgeting, because we expect a flood of news after SPSP.

Question:

What have you guys heard about SPSP? Both in general and as it may pertain to Admissions.

Those who know — what's the deal with SPSP? How does it compare with the other psych conferences?

How productive vs. social vs. symbolic is it?

I grew up going to AALS and other law school conferences with my parents, but I've never been to a major psychology conference.

Just wondering, and it'd be fun to hear about.

My (former) advisor's perspective: "SPSP started as a small alternative to the big conferences -- APA, APS -- for just social/personality psychologists, but it quickly grew to be monstrous itself. Reminds me of that Yogi Berra joke about a restaurant that no one goes to anymore because it's too crowded. The alternative is SESP but that's a members/guests only thing; I haven't been to that one in years."

I went to SPSP. It's pretty social. Some profs use it to meet up with potential students prior to sending out interview invites.

Others have been busy and haven't even looked at applications yet. My undergrad advisor asked around for me and it seems to be somewhat divided.

I would expect a flood of news now that it's over, probably around the next week or two, simply because if people didn't have time to discuss applicants before (while preparing for the conference) they do now. Also, if they did have time to look and met with some "potentials" then they may have narrowed down the short list.

I believe Purdue should be sending out interview invitations in about a week (talked to a prof); I'm not quite sure about the others.

Good luck everyone!

Ditto to NoleGirl - I met with one potential advisor, and he told me news should be coming around in the next week or so. My friends with posters were approached by quite a few POIs...makes me wish I'd had a poster too!

Has anyone heard anything—good or bad—from University of Washington, University of Vermont, University of British Columbia, or University of Alberta? I’ve seen almost nothing posted on the “results” board, which I think is a little weird. I guess it’s possible that these programs have slightly delayed timelines, but Vermont’s website indicates that non-clinical interviews will be conducted two weeks from tomorrow (Feb. 14). Along those lines, I'm also curious if anyone knows if there will be an interview weekend for UBC, U Alberta, or U Vermont. Any information or insight would be much appreciated.

This past fall, while I was assembling my apps, I swapped more than 25 e-mails with a POI. In an e-mail, nestled among his usual philosophical wanderings, was this sentence: "I hope we'll have the opportunity to work together next year." Then he stopped sending me journal articles, and I assumed he got too busy to do the 1-page e-mail trades (which was good for me, too. The guy's really smart, and I'd sweat for hours trying to craft competent responses to his theoretical questions ). We had a good rapport. Nothing weird or awkward happened. But now, since I haven't heard a peep from the program, I'm wondering if it would be appropriate for me to write to him. It's been almost three months since we stopped corresponding. I 'd love to touch base with him, but I'm uncertain of the etiquette rules for this type of thing. Any ideas?

This past fall, while I was assembling my apps, I swapped more than 25 e-mails with a POI. In an e-mail, nestled among his usual philosophical wanderings, was this sentence: "I hope we'll have the opportunity to work together next year." Then he stopped sending me journal articles, and I assumed he got too busy to do the 1-page e-mail trades (which was good for me, too. The guy's really smart, and I'd sweat for hours trying to craft competent responses to his theoretical questions ). We had a good rapport. Nothing weird or awkward happened. But now, since I haven't heard a peep from the program, I'm wondering if it would be appropriate for me to write to him. It's been almost three months since we stopped corresponding. I 'd love to touch base with him, but I'm uncertain of the etiquette rules for this type of thing. Any ideas?

I love the hours spent on emails of this sort haha... been there. Anyway if you communicated on that level I wouldn't hesitate too much to email in the next few weeks if you are getting antsy. However, I would wait until at least next week if not the week after considering what other people have mentioned about SPSP and the general lag of social psych programs. I have only heard from one social program out of 11 thus far.

I went to SPSP. It's pretty social. Some profs use it to meet up with potential students prior to sending out interview invites.

Others have been busy and haven't even looked at applications yet. My undergrad advisor asked around for me and it seems to be somewhat divided.

I would expect a flood of news now that it's over, probably around the next week or two, simply because if people didn't have time to discuss applicants before (while preparing for the conference) they do now. Also, if they did have time to look and met with some "potentials" then they may have narrowed down the short list.

I believe Purdue should be sending out interview invitations in about a week (talked to a prof); I'm not quite sure about the others.

Good luck everyone!

Replying to myself, Purdue sent out interview invites for the weekend of Feb 17th. Someone else posted this on the results as well.

Invitations to interview weekend at Cornell went out last week.

Wow, my stomach plummeted when I read that. Cornell was my last hope. Would you be kind enough to put me out of my misery and give me some details? How do you know? Were all invitations sent out last week? And through the system, or email etc.? Thanks.

I love the hours spent on emails of this sort haha... been there. Anyway if you communicated on that level I wouldn't hesitate too much to email in the next few weeks if you are getting antsy. However, I would wait until at least next week if not the week after considering what other people have mentioned about SPSP and the general lag of social psych programs. I have only heard from one social program out of 11 thus far.

Thanks for the perspective, Psyburgh. Much appreciated. I'll lie low for a couple weeks, hard as it is. By the way, congratulations on Michigan. That's awesome!

Just stumbled upon this news that the late Jack Brehm of Kansas gave $2.2 million to the psych department to improve undergraduate and graduate training, especially in social psych.

http://www.news.ku.e...r/7/brehm.shtml

Anyone know of other programs in healthy financial shape? (Though of course, a professor who lands a lucrative grant will be able to recruit new grad students even if the university at large cuts back.)

That makes me feel pretty good! I went to SPSP and on the way there, I found that I'm shortlisted for KU and have a phone interview with them sometime this week. I'm pretty excited. I was also able to talk to my POI at SPSP, as well as the majority of the other faculty there and the grad students. So far so good.

Hey, I'm new to Grad Cafe and this thread. What an awesome resource for the frightened, hopeful, and obsessed! I'm still waiting to hear word one from any of my programs.

I applied to the following:

—University of Michigan, Personality and Social Contexts PhD

—University of Vermont, Social Psychology PhD

—University of Washington, Social and Personality Psychology PhD

—University of Alberta, Social Psychology PhD

—University of British Columbia, Social Psychology PhD

—York University (Toronto), Social Psychology MA

Has anyone heard any rumblings from or about these programs? From the rest of the thread, I've gathered that my not hearing from Michigan means it's probably a "no." Eager to hear if anyone knows anything--about POIs or the programs themselves. Thanks!

Ha, are you interested in existential stuff? I am going to guess that for the last three schools you applied to Schimel, Heine, and McGregor. That is just a wild guess and if I'm right then I must have ESP.

Hey, all. I am also new to GradCafe and this thread — seems like a great way to feed my neuroses surrounding this brutal, exciting process.

I am applying to

UVA (Wilson, Clore, Haidt, Nosek)

NYU (Kruger, Jost, Tyler, Van Bavel)

Cornell (Gilovich and Dunning; sadly, Gilovich isn't taking new grad students)

Colorado (Van Boven)

Arizona State (Kwan)

Florida State (Baumeister)

Northeastern (DeSteno, Barrett)

Princeton (Pronin)

U Chicago (Epley, Kinzler)

Waterloo (M. Ross, Spencer, Eibach)

Tufts (Sommers)

Ohio State (Libby)

U Mich (Nisbett, Kitayama, Kross)

Harvard (Wegner)

Yale (Bargh, Napier, Salovey)

Good luck to everyone here. I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing people who are going through the same thing I am.

So, thoughts on Daryl Bem? I recently got a copy of Feeling the Future but am yet to finish it. It'll be the talk of the town when we interview.

Good list there. I just wanted to pipe in and say Ross is retiring soon and not taking new students. Spencer and Eibach still are though. PM me if you want details.

The Bem paper is really interesting but obviously a little nutty. There have already been numerous failures to replicate his findings and until independent replication happens the paper won't be taken seriously. But it was a good read -- Bem literally wrote the book on "writing the empirical journal article".

Also, what have you heard about Baumeister? My advisor mentioned him a couple times. In an e-mail, he described Baumeister as "a generalist who likes to think big thoughts." I popped into his office during homecoming (he thought he had already sent that e-mail. he hadn't), and he told me a little more, saying "he's a weird guy, but I think you two would really hit it off." Months later, I still don't know how to take that.

But, seriously, look at his publications list on PsycInfo. Prolific.

Baumeister is a contrarian--he said so in a talk this weekend and it's obvious in his writing--so I hope that fits with your temperament. I've also heard he spends like 16 hours a day working.

My friend found someone from UCSB while at SPSP and was told they are not really taking new people this year (and that they only accepted one person last year.) I thought this would be useful for anyone applying there (him and myself included)

Rumor is that their funding is in shambles so don't take it personally if you don't get in.

Edited by lewin00

I put in an application to Brock U in St. Catharines, ON. While I'm hesitant about doing a program in Canada, the prof I want to work with is doing research that is exactly the stuff that I am into... a near perfect fit, really. I figured I'd give it a shot.

I saw on another post you're interested in intergroup stuff. Carolyn Haifer? I've heard lots of good things about her.

I saw on another post you're interested in intergroup stuff. Carolyn Haifer? I've heard lots of good things about her.

On their sheet that you check off three people who you would want to work with, I did include Hafer; however, if I attended there, I am most interested in working with Hodson. He's been putting out some real cool research and his current students are getting published quite regularly in the top journals.

That makes me feel pretty good! I went to SPSP and on the way there, I found that I'm shortlisted for KU and have a phone interview with them sometime this week. I'm pretty excited. I was also able to talk to my POI at SPSP, as well as the majority of the other faculty there and the grad students. So far so good.

That's true about the Brehm foundation money going exclusively to the social program at Kansas. I know they are about to initiate a small grants fund to support social graduate students' research. They are also considering using the money for summer fellowships for social grad students.

Edited by insider