Social Psychology Application Thread 2010-2011

A. sesquipedale

Hello fellow antsy social folk,

UCI or UCSC, anyone, anyone?

Also, PsychApplicant2011--I strongly suspect we had the same POI at USC--congratulations on your early success. :)

UCSC here! Interview today, to be continued tomorrow...

wish me luck! :)

Got my fingers crossed for everyone else!

I am one of the folks who applied to USC and have been lucky enough to receive an interview. Though, I don't plan on being a researcher of statistics and methodology (as in someone who publishes primarily articles about stats and methodology), I am a huge stats person, so knowing that there are a few big time stats/methodology people there is a big plus.

Congrats on landing an interview! I forgot to mention that Jack McArdle at USC does work on longitudinal and cross-lagged designs, though I haven't worked with him or taken classes with him. I really do believe one of the ancillary benefits of graduate study at USC is a solid quantitative foundation. Having a diverse statistical arsenal makes data analysis a great deal more enjoyable. It also helps you obtain publishable results--classic operations render null effects where contemporary operations reveal more interesting patterns.

Hope you enjoy the royal treatment the department will likely give you! Best of luck!

One person I know just heard from UVA. Good luck everyone.

Thanks for the info! Good for your friend, bad for the rest of us I guess, though I think my primary POI decided not to take a new student this year afterall so I wasn't getting my hopes up. Maybe next year.

I've had two phone interviews thus far, and I'd like to know what everyone thinks are 'signs' an interview went well.

How should I interpret the following (which was said during a recent interview)?

"I think you'd make an excellent candidate for such and such university fellowship which will guarantee you full funding for three years..."

"If you come to xyz school, I would like you to work with me on abc project..." at which point, POI goes on to describe project at length.

BUT THEN...goes on to say...

"You know, I can't really guarantee whether you are in or not. Professors send their recommendations out to the grad division, and then grad division makes the final decision. Although, 90% of the time, the people we recommend get in..."

Also, I didn't get a definite timeline of when I'd be hearing back for a formal interview. More of a "in a few weeks..." response.

Should I even bother to interpret these tidbits?

Thanks so much in advance. I know I'm paranoid :unsure:

Also, as a side note, anyone heard back from UCSB yet? Or Stanford?

I've had two phone interviews thus far, and I'd like to know what everyone thinks are 'signs' an interview went well.

How should I interpret the following (which was said during a recent interview)?

"I think you'd make an excellent candidate for such and such university fellowship which will guarantee you full funding for three years..."

"If you come to xyz school, I would like you to work with me on abc project..." at which point, POI goes on to describe project at length.

BUT THEN...goes on to say...

"You know, I can't really guarantee whether you are in or not. Professors send their recommendations out to the grad division, and then grad division makes the final decision. Although, 90% of the time, the people we recommend get in..."

Also, I didn't get a definite timeline of when I'd be hearing back for a formal interview. More of a "in a few weeks..." response.

Should I even bother to interpret these tidbits?

Thanks so much in advance. I know I'm paranoid :unsure:

Also, as a side note, anyone heard back from UCSB yet? Or Stanford?

Yes! Anyone heard from Stanford?

I would interpret that as, this professor is going to recommend that you are admitted and he/she mentioned full funding for three years to start to sell the school to you (i.e., convince you to accept the offer that you will probably receive). Admissions decisions aren't up to that professor, so he/she didn't want to make a promise that could fail. I think chances of admission are highly in your favor.

my strategy is to convince myself i will not get in anywhere, then if that actually happens i will be expecting it, but if i do get in i will be extra surprised/happy, yay!

This is exactly the same thing that I do. Some friends object when I tell them this, but I think it helps a lot.

With permission, I am passing along information that was shared with me by a current graduate student at Virginia:

"What I do know is that A) Recruiting Day (for all areas) is on February 11th, and that the SPSP is on Jan 27-30th, so there might be some delayed contact for social faculty members. ... I would try not to be concerned if you're not contacted within the next couple weeks, though. Last year, the social area was slow on the uptake, and only half of my cohort visited during recruiting day. The other half visited much later, in March."

O.o

So, I just noticed someone posted a waitlist for UVa's social psych program. Plus, there was a second-hand report of an acceptance not too long ago.

Panic time?! I don't know. As mentioned above, a grad student at UVa mentioned that some of the notifications may be slow in coming due to various factors. I guess it just depends on, at least in part, who your POI is.

Does anyone have any information regarding which UVa social psych POIs have contacted people?

I just received an email from one of my POIs at UVA telling me that they have 3-4 spots available in the department for this fall, and that I've been placed on the waiting list. I didn't know if I even had a shot so I'm happy just to be considered! =) I hope the rest of you hear soon too, and that it's good news!

I just received an email from one of my POIs at UVA telling me that they have 3-4 spots available in the department for this fall, and that I've been placed on the waiting list. I didn't know if I even had a shot so I'm happy just to be considered! =) I hope the rest of you hear soon too, and that it's good news!

Congrats! Just to get on the waitlist at somewhere like UVa is quite an achievement! Hopefully, you receive an acceptance from UVa before it is all said and done (either that, or you get an offer of admissions from a comparably strong program).

If you don't mind, could you PM the name of your POI? Thanks!

Correction to my post above: The second-hand report was not an acceptance at UVa; it was a waitlist.

So, as of this moment, I know of no confirmed offers of admission to UVa social psych. Of course, with only 3 acceptances in existence, there is no reason to think that we would necessary hear about any of them.

Hi all, just checking in again about interviews. I'm a master's student at the University of Oregon so I can help anyone who has questions about that. I am interested in moral psychology and applied to Duke, Oregon, USC, Boston College, UVA, and UBC. So far I have received an interview from Duke for next week but nothing else. Those USC people and anyone else applying to Boston College, what's up?

Hi all, just checking in again about interviews. I'm a master's student at the University of Oregon so I can help anyone who has questions about that. I am interested in moral psychology and applied to Duke, Oregon, USC, Boston College, UVA, and UBC. So far I have received an interview from Duke for next week but nothing else. Those USC people and anyone else applying to Boston College, what's up?

Congrats on the Duke interview!

Your and my lists have a little bit of overlap: USC, BC, and UVa.

I have had an informal phone interview with one of my POIs at USC. As far as I know, no official decisions have been made at USC yet. There has also been some reports of wait list notifications at UVa. I am unaware of any official acceptance offers, though. Either way, I haven't heard anything from UVa yet. Also, I haven't heard anything from BC yet, but I also don't know of any activity coming out of BC yet.

Well, good luck!