Social Psychology Application Thread 2010-2011

A. sesquipedale

On 12/19/2010 at 4:37 PM, isapr5 said:
more popular programs I'm applying to are Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Penn State, Northwestern, Columbia, and WUSTL. Anyone know how whether these programs interview people?

Stanford, Princeton, and WUSTL all interview; I am not sure about the others.

You yourself linked to the results database, I believe. Isn't the info in there?

Does anyone happen to know if UVA interviews applicants to its social psychology PhD program? I searched the results postings from previous years and didn't see anyone mention a UVA interview, but then there aren't too many postings from UVA social psych applicants to begin with. I can't tell whether that means they don't interview, or just that no one posted about their interview at UVA.

Also, congrats to whoever got the UCLA social psych interview! Good luck! =)

Just checking in to find out if anyone else had heard about interviews at UCLA or USC? The waiting is killing me!! :(

I had my phone interview from UCLA around December 15-17. I don't think it was typical, the phone call was from the prof I applied to. He said he just wanted to talk to some applicants, and it wasn't a formal interview. It was more of a 'let's get to know each other, and see if we could work well together,' type of thing. He said that I should hear back within a week (meaning week of December 22) for a formal interview. I guess they were using the phone interview as a way to weed people out. I've been on pins on needles this whole time, and have not heard a peep. According to the UCLA psych grad app webpage, applicants who are to be considered for formal interviews should hear no later than two weeks prior to the interview / recruitment schedule. The interview / recruitment schedule is set at January 14-15. I'm getting a little worried, but I know that they probably won't be running according to schedule. Got my fingers crossed for all of us!

Who did you apply to?

I had my phone interview from UCLA around December 15-17. I don't think it was typical, the phone call was from the prof I applied to. He said he just wanted to talk to some applicants, and it wasn't a formal interview. It was more of a 'let's get to know each other, and see if we could work well together,' type of thing. He said that I should hear back within a week (meaning week of December 22) for a formal interview. I guess they were using the phone interview as a way to weed people out. I've been on pins on needles this whole time, and have not heard a peep. According to the UCLA psych grad app webpage, applicants who are to be considered for formal interviews should hear no later than two weeks prior to the interview / recruitment schedule. The interview / recruitment schedule is set at January 14-15. I'm getting a little worried, but I know that they probably won't be running according to schedule. Got my fingers crossed for all of us!

Who did you apply to?

I only applied at UCLA and USC (no safety schools for me!!)... I'm location restricted to LA so am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I'm worried about the formal interviews next week as well - the fact that we haven't heard anything is freaking me out. I did see one post on the Results page that someone was invited the week of the 16th but haven't seen any other activity. :( I'll definitely keep fingers crossed for a delay in the interview schedules as well (sigh). In the meantime - good luck and thanks for responding!!!

Stanford, Princeton, and Columbia all interview; I am not sure about the others.

You yourself linked to the results database, I believe. Isn't the info in there?

I thought Stanford admitted without an interview. I used to work there and that was their policy then, but maybe it has changed in recent years. Columbia definitely interviews, and has already sent out invites.

Does anyone happen to know if UVA interviews applicants to its social psychology PhD program? I searched the results postings from previous years and didn't see anyone mention a UVA interview, but then there aren't too many postings from UVA social psych applicants to begin with. I can't tell whether that means they don't interview, or just that no one posted about their interview at UVA.

Also, congrats to whoever got the UCLA social psych interview! Good luck! =)

Yes, Virginia interviews.

On 12/19/2010 at 4:37 PM, isapr5 said:

Among the more popular programs I'm applying to are Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Penn State, Northwestern, Columbia, and WUSTL. Anyone know how whether these programs interview people?

All the best, and may your hard work pay off!

The best of the best (i.e., Michigan, Harvard, Stanford, WUSTL) sometimes don't interview. Columbia interviews, and has sent out invitations already. I don't believe WUSTL interviews, but another person on this forum said they do. Yale definitely interviews. I'm not sure about the others. Best of luck!

POI from USC contacted me via email wanting to set up a time to discuss research interests.

Any one else here receive contact from USC yet?

If you want more information, please PM me.

Congrats!!!!!

I thought Stanford admitted without an interview. I used to work there and that was their policy then, but maybe it has changed in recent years. Columbia definitely interviews, and has already sent out invites.

Well, I am pretty sure I remember Stanford interviewing last year...and I would take your word over my own except that there is also an entry in the results listing to back me up.

Hi psychapplicant,

Mind saying who your POI at Oregon was? I applied to Oregon to work wtih Azim Shariff, haven't heard a peep. You can PM me if you'd like or, I also understand if for the sake of anonymity you cannot say.

Thanks either way! And a huge congrats!

Edited by A. sesquipedale

To the folks who applied to applied to USC, would mind my asking who your professors of interest are? I did my undergrad there and did research with Profs. Huey and Miller. As an aside, I'll add that grad students at USC get great advanced stats training from Rand Wilcox. You'll learn a lot of robust statistics, including bootstrapping, as well as R functions (a stats program). Goes way beyond Student's t and Fisher's F. Also, more than a few faculty at USC are experts in meta-analysis (Miller and Huey among them), and if that's your thing you will definitely have lots of people from which to draw support. All the best!

To the folks who applied to applied to USC, would mind my asking who your professors of interest are? I did my undergrad there and did research with Profs. Huey and Miller. As an aside, I'll add that grad students at USC get great advanced stats training from Rand Wilcox. You'll learn a lot of robust statistics, including bootstrapping, as well as R functions (a stats program). Goes way beyond Student's t and Fisher's F. Also, more than a few faculty at USC are experts in meta-analysis (Miller and Huey among them), and if that's your thing you will definitely have lots of people from which to draw support. All the best!

I am one of the folks who applied to USC and have been lucky enough to receive an interview. Though, I don't plan on being a researcher of statistics and methodology (as in someone who publishes primarily articles about stats and methodology), I am a huge stats person, so knowing that there are a few big time stats/methodology people there is a big plus.

Hey all, applied to 9 social psychology programs. Most are very competitive, so I'm hoping to get into at least one.

Stanford

Princeton

U Chicago

U of Illinois (UIUC)

U Virginia

U Michigan

Northwestern

Ohio State

WUSTL

I've heard nothing official so far. Small unofficial indication that I'm on a shorter list at one school, but just because they contacted my prof to ask him for info.

I applied only to UVA, and haven't heard anything regarding admissions yet. When I was emailing with UVA profs in early February last year though it sounded like they had made their admissions decisions in late January, thus I would expect the same timeline this year. Beyond UVA, I'm afraid I can't be too helpful to anyone in terms of insight into the decision timelines.

BTW, Mr Tea, a huge congrats on your U Michigan invitation! Very impressive!