NSF GRFP 2010-2011

BlueRose

FYI - you all should know, i checked the info on the new nordic fellowships and they are supposed to be announced on monday. since only NSF fellows can accept a nordic fellowship, it seems like they'll announce all the fellows then too.

what are the nordic fellowships? are you saying you have to receive a NSF GRFP to get the nordic fellowships? can you post the site you referenced to get this information?

what are the nordic fellowships? are you saying you have to receive a NSF GRFP to get the nordic fellowships? can you post the site you referenced to get this information?

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2010/nsf10073/nsf10073.jsp?org=DUE

<LI>"April 4, 2011. Announcement of supplemental Nordic Research Opportunity awards." - its the last bullet under proposal deadline

I think they were maybe seeing this:

http://www.nsf.gov/p...073.jsp?org=DUE

It quotes that whatever this opportunity is, this Nordic award thing is being announced on 4/4.

Edit: Whoops, sorry jer4. Didn't see your post before I searched myself.

Edited by uksawfly

On that website it says "NSF Graduate Research Fellows must have completed at least one year of graduate school before applying." So that means only current recipients can apply...

yeah, although you can still apply for the NSF in your second year of grad school

Maybe only current NSF fellows can apply? i donno, now that i reread it, it sounds like maybe the people who apply to that are already fellows

That's what I thought, so I don't think the two things are related unless the same panels met to decide both?

and btw, is everyone going to avoid posting all day today so as not to be seen as a practical joker? ;)

My fellow grad cafe visitors. We are here today to honor hope. We wait with anxious anticipation for a simple email that could make all the difference. It could mean funded research, acceptance into grad school, or not dropping out of grad school. It could mean simple validation.

We are hopeful because we think we have a chance at receiving a fellowship; if we did not think so, we would not have applied. We are hopeful because we successfully whittled down our past accomplishments and future goals to 4 total pages. We are hopeful for a GRFP because we still can be. We can picture ourselves receiving that email and staring in blissful disbelief. We can hear ourselves calling our parents to tell them with pride and excitement.

Given past notification times and dates, we may receive news in a few hours or a week. I challenge you now not to spend these moments commiserating and kvetching but celebrating. Maybe you have research plans to discover new applications of block copolymers, to combat human trafficking, or to evaluate the feasibility of carbon sequestration. Celebrate your research and its positive societal impacts, and embrace whatever hope you have for the future. Acknowledge that the future holds new challenges, rewards, and disappointments.

No one on this board is going to tell you if you received a fellowship. An email read at 10 am is going to convey the same information that it did at 1 am. Disappointment sucks, but hope.... that rocks. So celebrate.

Edited by imalittleteapot

That's what I thought, so I don't think the two things are related unless the same panels met to decide both?

and btw, is everyone going to avoid posting all day today so as not to be seen as a practical joker? ;)

If the results come out, I can't see how people will resist. :D

My fellow grad cafe visitors. We are here today to honor hope. We wait with anxious anticipation for a simple email that could make all the difference. It could mean funded research, acceptance into grad school, or not dropping out of grad school. It could mean simple validation.

We are hopeful because we think we have a chance at receiving a fellowship; if we did not think so, we would not have applied. We are hopeful because we successfully whittled down our past accomplishments and future goals to 4 total pages. We are hopeful for a GRFP because we still can be. We can picture ourselves receiving that email and staring in blissful disbelief. We can hear ourselves calling our parents to tell them with pride and excitement.

Given past notification times and dates, we may receive news in a few hours or a week. I challenge you now not to spend these moments commiserating and kvetching but celebrating. Maybe you have research plans to discover new applications of block copolymers, to combat human trafficking, or to evaluate the feasibility of carbon sequestration. Celebrate your research its positive societal impacts, and embrace whatever hope you have for the future. Acknowledge that the future holds new challenges, rewards, and disappointments.

No one on this board is going to tell you if you received a fellowship. An email read at 10 am is going convey the same information that it did at 1 am. Disappointment sucks, but hope.... that rocks. So celebrate.

Best first post ever?

MUST HAVE NSF FELLOWSHIP OR ELSE IM GOING TO...

or else i'm going to... get over it, move on, and be successful anyway. While I too have been anxiously awaiting the decision, I think it is important to approach it reasonably. More qualified people apply than receive the award and the process is highly subjective. But on the other hand, its not that big of a deal. If an admission decision rides on it, of course it puts more pressure on it, if you have the intelligence, work ethic and experience to win an NSF fellowship, then you should be able to be successful without one. For me (a first year grad student), the award would mean a little more freedom in choosing research projects, less hassle from my advisor in general,a raise and a great bullet point on my CV. But if it doesn't work out, there are plenty of other opportunities. I think some people here are adding more pressure to this process than is necessary. It's an award and an honor to win an NSF fellowship, and no one "deserves" it. Rather, everyone should be happy to have had the opportunity to apply and learn from the process.

really well said

or else i'm going to... get over it, move on, and be successful anyway. While I too have been anxiously awaiting the decision, I think it is important to approach it reasonably. More qualified people apply than receive the award and the process is highly subjective. But on the other hand, its not that big of a deal. If an admission decision rides on it, of course it puts more pressure on it, if you have the intelligence, work ethic and experience to win an NSF fellowship, then you should be able to be successful without one. For me (a first year grad student), the award would mean a little more freedom in choosing research projects, less hassle from my advisor in general,a raise and a great bullet point on my CV. But if it doesn't work out, there are plenty of other opportunities. I think some people here are adding more pressure to this process than is necessary. It's an award and an honor to win an NSF fellowship, and no one "deserves" it. Rather, everyone should be happy to have had the opportunity to apply and learn from the process.

By the way, it appears that the moderators removed the econ. person's claim that he/she won the NSF already this year.

Good for them! Haha, or maybe enough people clicked "Report Spam".

There needs to be a "report B.S." button. :)

It's April! When I hit 'submit' on my app in November, April felt like it would never come. Surely if we've all survived this long, we can survive a few more days, right?

Had my first GRFP dream last night. No award, no HM, but I never got a rejection email either, and I kept waiting, thinking maybe it was a mistake that I wasn't on one of the lists, and why hadn't they told me anything, and then I noticed that no one on the award list had a last name that started with [first letter of my last name], and maybe they'd just left out a whole batch, and... yeah, I'm losing my mind. Life will totally go on after this. Don't tell my subconscious, though.

Can we all agree to a friendly moratorium on terrible April Fool's jokes about one of us figuring out how to hack Fastlane to give us the spreadsheet, or whatever, for the rest of today? ;)

Edited by dendarii917

I had a dream about a week ago...I had the list and I was searching it for hours (it wasn't in any kind of order). I never found out one way or the other, but the entire thing was just anxiety-producing.

It's April! When I hit 'submit' on my app in November, April felt like it would never come. Surely if we've all survived this long, we can survive a few more days, right?

totally true! that said, I just want NSF to just rip off the bandaid and get it overwith :)

Can we all agree to a friendly moratorium on terrible April Fool's jokes about one of us figuring out how to hack Fastlane to give us the spreadsheet, or whatever, for the rest of today? ;)

yes please!!! that would be so mean :( :(

MUST HAVE NSF FELLOWSHIP OR ELSE IM GOING TO...

Okay. If I don't get the NSF fellowship, I'm going to ... have a long talk with the DGS. There's three other sources of external funding I've applied for that I'll hear about soon. And I'm allowed to TA for three semesters (there are more students who need to support themselves on TAships than there are TA slots, so they have to ration them). That gives me three semesters, minimum, for my advisor to get her funding back or something else to work out. Maybe the DGS and I can piece something together.

In the meanwhile, they're not going to announce today. I'm going to go enjoy my weekend as best I can.

So what do you think would be the first thing you will do if you find out that you got the fellowship?

I think I would fall onto my knees and let out a loud, long victory battle cry and scare all my labmates to death and have my advisor rushing out of her office ready to call 911.

In the meanwhile, they're not going to announce today. I'm going to go enjoy my weekend as best I can.

I suspect you're correct. My bet is still middle-of-Tuesday-night (or the first few hours of Wednesday morning). But I'm still going to cling to irrational hope until about 2:00pm ET. If by then there's not a server maintenance message on Fastlane... then I'll admit you're right.

So what do you think would be the first thing you will do if you find out that you got the fellowship?

Make someone else read the email and check the Fastlane list, independently of me, and then report back on whether or not I'm just seeing things that aren't there.

Edited by dendarii917

I think I would fall onto my knees and let out a loud, long victory battle cry and scare all my labmates to death and have my advisor rushing out of her office ready to call 911.

I would probably to do the same. And then I would celebrate with my labbies by drinking...a lot...because that's something I haven't done since I started grad school! :)

I wooooouldddd....be really happy, celebrate with a giant XL Dunkin Donuts coffee, and then have to go back to writing proposals for more grants for my research (since my project in general is unfunded at the moment). xD