NSF GRFP 2010-2011

BlueRose

I swear I wasn't feeling anxious about this at all until I started reading this forum.... AHH NOW I FEEL LIKE A CRAZY PERSON. I'm trying to get experiments done but all I can think about is checking this site.... and I swear I check it every 5 minutes. IM GOING CRAZY. Definitely sleeping with my laptop in bed with me.....

BTW since this is my first post... this is my first year applying - last time eligible. Applied under Developmental Bio. I applied just for the hell of it... I know how competitive it is and figured it'd be good experience to just write it... no pressure. Then I just found out my PI's RO1 renewal was rejected soooooo now I need this or else I'll be TA-ing for who knows how many semesters...awesome.

Good Luck to all!

I swear I wasn't feeling anxious about this at all until I started reading this forum.... AHH NOW I FEEL LIKE A CRAZY PERSON. I'm trying to get experiments done but all I can think about is checking this site.... and I swear I check it every 5 minutes. IM GOING CRAZY.

"AND NOW I FEEL LIKE A CRAZY PERSON" is a far more eloquent description of my own mental state than I ever would have been able to come up with. This forum is seriously not for the faint of heart; it's turned my mild curiosity about my NSF outcome into rabid, obsessive, can't-think-about-anything-else compulsion to refresh this page every 5 minutes. Seriously, it should come with a warning label. Too late now, though, and it is rather nice to know I'm not the only one...

I am pretty confident that the emails come very late at night/early in the morning...like when normal people are sleeping ;)

Yeah and how many people that apply for this are "normal people" LOL! I don't know about everyone else, but as it gets closer, I've been waking up multiple times during the night...and of course I HAVE to check my email.

Edited by uksawfly

Yeah and how many people that apply for this are "normal people" LOL! I don't know about everyone else, but as it gets closer, I've been waking up multiple times during the night...and of course I HAVE to check my email.

I'm totally guilty of the same thing. I keep staying up til after when I got my email last year, leaving my computer on to watch netflix, falling asleep, and waking up in the middle of the night going "oh well if my computer is still on anyway I might as well check email and the forums"... really, really bad idea

I'm totally guilty of the same thing. I keep staying up til after when I got my email last year, leaving my computer on to watch netflix, falling asleep, and waking up in the middle of the night going "oh well if my computer is still on anyway I might as well check email and the forums"... really, really bad idea

Well, you might want to stay up and keep checking tonight. I just saw an NSF GRFP acceptance pop up in the Grad Cafe results database a few minutes ago. It says "Just got an NSF notification by e-mail! Can't believe it!"

Edited by Hendersa

Well, you might want to stay up and keep checking tonight. I just saw an NSF GRFP acceptance pop up in the Grad Cafe results database a few minutes ago. It says "Just got an NSF notification by e-mail! Can't believe it!"

the results database? where's that? (I am hopeless at trying to find things on this site)

Hmmmmmmm. I doubt that.

the results database? where's that? (I am hopeless at trying to find things on this site)

Click on the 'Results' tab at the top of the page. The person accepted applied under PhD in Economics.

Click on the 'Results' tab at the top of the page. The person accepted applied under PhD in Economics.

haven't people been notorious about posting fake results across these boards though?

haven't people been notorious about posting fake results across these boards though?

why not? misery loves company. and what would make us more miserable than thinking that it was any minute now?

That's so not nice!! And if they were really serious, wouldn't they post it on this forum rather than just the results section?

I also find it hilarious that there are now 65 people watching this thread like vultures waiting for someone to say they found a golden ticket.

*and yes, I'm mostly laughing at myself (silently). Especially since I'm in the middle of class right now.

Edited by Durf

Does anyone know how strict they are about deadlines? I requested an official transcript from my current university looong before the deadline, but it didnt get posted until 12/2/10. My undergrad transcript arrived 11/10/10, so do you think maybe they would realize I obviously requested them both at the same time, and my current institution is just ridiculously inefficient?

Does anyone know how strict they are about deadlines? I requested an official transcript from my current university looong before the deadline, but it didnt get posted until 12/2/10. My undergrad transcript arrived 11/10/10, so do you think maybe they would realize I obviously requested them both at the same time, and my current institution is just ridiculously inefficient?

I believe they sent out disqualification notices a few months ago, so I'd assume your application was considered "complete" or you would have received one.

When you go to fastlane, does it say that you application package is complete?

When you go to fastlane, does it say that you application package is complete?

It says "Complete: all materials have been received", in effect. I agree with an earlier poster that they really should update that "received" to "reviewed" or something more timely.