NSF GRFP 2010-2011

BlueRose

Hi everyone! Congrats to the winners and HM-ers!

I'm entering grad school in the Fall (yay!) and I was wondering: since people are only typically in grad school for three months (give or take) before the GRFP due dates roll around again, do you find that's enough time to get to know a professor(s) well enough that they will write you a letter of recommendation? Or do you ask some of your undergrad professors to write for you also?

Two off my reference writers were undergrad professors. The third was actually a supervisor for one of the outreach groups that I am a member of. The most important thing is that you choose someone who knows you well and can speak highly of you. I chose people who knew me for at least a year, or had taught me in at least two classes. (I'm also a first year grad student :))

GAH!!! I accepted and declared tenure before I saw my reviews!!!! has anyone done this, and any tips for finding your reviews once you've done this? In my excitement I failed to read all their disclaimers that 'once you've declared tenure, you will be unable to view/print your reviews.' a;lkdfj;alsfjas. thoughts?

Thanks!

I did the same thing so if anyone knows the answer to this it would be much appreciated smile.gif

I received an e-mail this morning telling me that my reviews were available. But when I went to access them, they weren't there. After reading the fine print of the e-mail. I discovered that once you accept tenure you can no longer access them. Not only does this policy not make any sense, but I accepted tenure 2 days ago.. This means that, because I took care of my future in a timely manner, I will never get access to my reviews. The e-mail states to make copies of them, but I never even had access to them to make a copy. Has anyone else had this issue?

You aren't the only one. I almost made the mistake myself. The problem is that in the excitement of getting an award many (including myself) didn't read the entire offer letter. Al the way at the bottom (second to the last sentence), they tell us that we won't be able to access the reviews after declaring tenure. I guess you could call and see what you can do, but I think it's too late. But hey, don't let this get you down. YOU WON!!!

:)Congrats.

E/VG E/VG E/VG - Awarded fellowship in physics. Two criticisms: One reviewer said I should have been more specific about the potential applications of the research project I proposed (it was a theoretical proposal..). Another reviewer said that though I was involved in some campus groups, I could have shown more evidence of leadership potential.

The main praise I recieved from all three reviewers concerned having publications and having research based awards (i.e. SURF program, Goldwater scholarship).

The moral of the story is: having pubs may not be necessary, but it helps... alot (duh....). Also, absolutely make sure you say something concerning diversity and/or outreach; all the winners on this forum seem to have that in common.

Last year: E/E, E/VG, E/VG

This year: G/G, G/G

??

I had a 3.75/4.0 graduate GPA when I applied and still got a "Good" for intellectual merit? My proposed research plan was strongly prasied but my GPA was just ok. Overall I got VG, VG: G, G. Second reviewer ended my chances completely; the process is slightly more random than I'd prefer when investing so much time and effort, but oh well.

For people that plan on doing this again next year it would be wise to have a broader impacts section where you sit down and walk through each one because peppering them throughout the paper doesn't always work. Put them in each essay but also combine them in one section; this will show that you have them strongly covered which will be much easier remembered when it comes to rating.

E/VG, VG/E, E/VG awarded fellowship in electrical engineering. only 1 negative comment from third reviewer who asked how my research would serve underrepresented groups in society. (my proposal was about modeling of nanoscale semiconductors using supercomputers )

for IM: reviewers commented on my publications/presentations, past awards, and they also liked my international research experience.

i did an internship in germany. i think the int. experience really helped me, since i could also connect it with broader impacts. (e.g. cultural/scientific exchange, networking etc.)

for BI: lab instructor, k-12 teaching, mentor for exchange students.

i think teaching and mentoring are common among a lot of applicants regarding BI. but i guess the thing which helped me here was that i planned to promote scientific exchange between the US and Germany.

Does anyone know whether the travel allowance is still offered to the new fellows? There's a reference it on our "Manage My Fellowship" page, but I can't find info anywhere else.

Does anyone know whether the travel allowance is still offered to the new fellows? There's a reference it on our "Manage My Fellowship" page, but I can't find info anywhere else.

I'm curious about this, too. Can anyone use this or did you have to say something about it on your application? What can it be used for?

I received an e-mail this morning telling me that my reviews were available. But when I went to access them, they weren't there. After reading the fine print of the e-mail. I discovered that once you accept tenure you can no longer access them. Not only does this policy not make any sense, but I accepted tenure 2 days ago.. This means that, because I took care of my future in a timely manner, I will never get access to my reviews. The e-mail states to make copies of them, but I never even had access to them to make a copy. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have the same problem. I emailed fastlane and the COs at my future grad school. fastlane said:

"You will need to contact the program officer associated to your application and request that they reverse the tenure declaration. Once the declaration is reversed, you will have access to the reviews.

Thank you for contacting the FastLane Help Desk"

Any ideas who the program officers are?

It should say who your program officer is to the right of the screen, in the little info bar when you log in. It will be a professor/administrator at your school.

It's a good idea to set up an appointment with them- I e-mailed mine, and am meeting with him next Tuesday to go over the fine points of accepting/working with the award.

E/E, VG/G, VG/E for me, 3.88 GPA. The second reviewer was a really weird guy and made absolutely no comments about my proposal. My first reviewer made me all kinds of happy. I wonder who they are...the field's terribly small...

I got E/VG, E/E, VG/VG. Applied in Chemistry and awarded HM, didn't get anything last year, but had lower scores. Reviewers like my broader impacts, one noted that I should provide more detail regarding broader impacts following graduate study.

For one VG in IM, reviewer said that I should give examples of potential drugs my proposal could apply to, but I though this was a NSF no-no. Going to apply next year, hopefully I'm just moving up the ladder! I like dreaming that they will give some HM's the award after people decline, but haven't heard enough cases of this to think it possible to happen.

I got E/VG, E/E, VG/VG. Applied in Chemistry and awarded HM

I'm surprised you only got an HM with such scores...

one noted that I should provide more detail regarding broader impacts following graduate study

:huh: Lol, what?

:huh: Lol, what?

Um, of course. They're not going to fund someone who says their contributions to broader impacts stops when NSF's funding does.

Last year: E/E, E/VG, E/VG

This year: G/G, G/G

??

Etale I'm shocked you didn't get it last year with those scores, but I had the same problem :(

Last year: E/E VG/VG G/E

This year: VG/VG E/G

Last year my broader impacts received good reviews and the only criticisms my application received were with regard to Intellectual Merit. So I rewrote my proposal but stuck with the same structure on broader impacts (but updated it obviously). I receive praise from both reviewers on my intellectual merit, but got slammed on broader impacts. What!? I heeded the advice I received last year, and some how, I managed to get worse scores. I don't get it...

Edited by astro54

Um, of course. They're not going to fund someone who says their contributions to broader impacts stops when NSF's funding does.

I just find it surprising that they would want you to know what kind of broader impact stuff you may do 3/4+ years later. I mean, few people know exactly where they'll end up in that time, let alone what specific broader impact contributions they may make.

VG/VG VG/VG VG/G somehow got me an award.

Maybe my reviewers had low averages, or maybe I benefited from being a woman in engineering and from a weird state.

I'm still waiting for them to call and say it was a mistake; I was very very surprised to get it. Chance definitely plays a big role in this I think.

Info on the travel allowance, per some e-mail I got in September:

We are also alerting you to the replacement of the $1,000 international travel award with a new international funding opportunity, to be announced later this year. In the meantime, we are allowing current fellows to request and use the current $1,000 travel award in 2010-2011, with travel completed by August 31, 2011. New Fellows selected in 2011 will not have access to the $1,000 travel award, nor will continuing fellows after August 31, 2011. All fellows will be able to apply for the new international funding opportunity being developed, irrespective of whether they have utilized the $1,000 travel award previously.

I just find it surprising that they would want you to know what kind of broader impact stuff you may do 3/4+ years later. I mean, few people know exactly where they'll end up in that time, let alone what specific broader impact contributions they may make.

It’s a game. You have to make up a bunch of jive. They know it is jive. You know they know it is jive. You still have to do it.

I received an NSF GRF as an undergraduate this year and will be starting graduate school in chemistry this fall. I am hoping to go into academia. One of my potential advisers next year thinks that I should defer the NSF a year so I can teach a few classes 1st year before I get deep into my research. Going into academia, I will need to have a few semesters of teaching during grad school, and she thinks I should and would rather get those done first year than waiting until my 4th year when I will be focused on my project. Either way I will probably still TA one grad class in my 4th or 5th year. Do you think I should follow her advise?

About teaching and the GRF:

I'm not in the hard sciences so my advice may not be 100% helpful, but I thought I'd share my 2 cents. My roommate and I are both in graduate school and in the same year in the program. During her first year she had teach immediately. My department on the other hand gives us a fellowship year when we enter. My suspicion is that this is a blessing. Graduate school is already a substantial transition for most people. Coursework becomes harder, grades matter less but the bench marks for success become more internalized, and lots of other social and professionalization pressures exist. Teaching is also a substantial transition. It is my suspicion that, especially, as a direct from UG admit, that getting some grad classes under your belt might be nice before TAing. You will transition into the program instead of doing all major transitions at once. You will also get more familiar with the state of the art, likely increasing your confidence when you do step into the classroom. If I were you, therefore, I might propose going on reserve status (it is not deferral) in your second year instead. By that time you will not be full tilt into a project but you will have gained some helpful experiences and made the transition.

I really would not teach your first year. Trying to balance research, classes and teaching all at once can be really overwhelming.

Getting the teaching experience early isn't a bad idea either... I'd suggest taking the NSF your first year, and then teaching your second year.