Application Fee

London-Tokyo

Just curious, is there a reason why some uni.'s don't have application fees while others charge way more than the average?

(Part. UK ones...Don't have app. fees, but schools like Georgetown is $225...)

Edit: lol, with everyone being shocked...I'm still wondering why some charge...and some don't....it's rather odd to me.

Edited by London-Tokyo

Just curious, is there a reason why some uni.'s don't have application fees while others charge way more than the average?

225$? Seriously??? WTF!

The max I paid was 95 each for two schools, and the lowest was 30. But 225 is absolutely nuts - brutal raping in the open daylight!

Good Lord! What program are you applying to? I know the medical ones tend to be more expensive. My most expensive was $100.

Edit: lol, with everyone being shocked...I'm still wondering why some charge...and some don't....it's rather odd to me.

$225!! Ouch!!

Don't all American graduate programs charge app fees? I believe that's the case.

Why they do not charge in other countries? Different rules, I guess...

Yea---some UK schools charge, but a majority don't...which is interesting...

and in the US--I think for a lot of schools, if you went there for undergrad, they waive your grad. app. fee.laugh.gif

not here!! dumb school charged me the whole 75$ - oh well, time to leave anyways.. almost!

Seriously, I have no idea. Which is why I'm trying to find out what the basis for these fees are...

there is no basis - it's whatever the hell they want. you would think that the processing costs would be more or less the same for institutions in the same country, and yet there's a huge fluctuation in the range of money they charge us. like i said before, i paid 30$ to 95$ for schools in the midwest... why there's such a gap, i have no freaking idea.

there is no basis - it's whatever the hell they want. you would think that the processing costs would be more or less the same for institutions in the same country, and yet there's a huge fluctuation in the range of money they charge us. like i said before, i paid 30$ to 95$ for schools in the midwest... why there's such a gap, i have no freaking idea.

But $225---Seriously? That's deviating pretty far from the norm...Oh well.

(I think I had originally intended to ask about why UK schools don't really have application fees for many unis)...

Yikes!! I'm applying to 6 schools and my total cost in application fees would be more or less $500 but I'm getting fee waivers for mine, thankfully! My fee waiver request has been approved by both Yale and Princeton so far. I'm pretty sure the rest will work out, too. Here's hoping!

For everyone else, I hope that these crazy application costs will be offset by sweet acceptances and funding packages! Good luck to everyone!

i think some schools use application fees to weed out applicants who aren't serious. Hence why Harvard, Princeton and Yale have higher fees.

I know it sounds horrible...But eh, sometimes I wish the pool of applicants this year are less fortunate (read poor) and more intellectually inept (read dumb) tongue.gif

But, $225 & $415---It's really high...What if I'm just a student without a job you know?

My highest is $95, though I haven't actually submitted for this one yet. There were a couple which had no fee at all, and so I applied to them even if I didn't really have these schools on my list in the first instance.

Just curious, I went to the MSFS at Georgetown site, it says a $75 application fee, which is pretty standard. How did it get up to $225?

My highest is $95, though I haven't actually submitted for this one yet. There were a couple which had no fee at all, and so I applied to them even if I didn't really have these schools on my list in the first instance.

Just curious, I went to the MSFS at Georgetown site, it says a $75 application fee, which is pretty standard. How did it get up to $225?

Hmm---Not sure, maybe because there was a second selection to my app? I wasn't paying attention too closely..

Maybe...still, two apps would be $150...

I guess I'll email them...

Edit: Yea, I think it's a mistake on my part. I will email them to see if they can refund me for the 2nd application.

Edited by London-Tokyo