Recommendation Mishap

indyir

Hi ,

I am so stressed , my SIPA application is due in two weeks and a professor who taught me undergrad is writing one of the recommendations. She moved to Canada from India last year and I am pretty sure she is not too used to the online application system. When i had a reminder sent , she said she clarified with them and they said the student sends the reminder, She emailed saying she has submitted the Columbia recommendation but the application simply says notified. She said i should clarify with the university. I received her submission of George Washington and Syracuse recommendations two weeks back. I have emailed them and tried calling Columbia but no answer yet. I am freaking out. is it possible that the application says notified even after the recommendation being submitted ?

thanks in advance :(

I have emailed them and tried calling Columbia but no answer yet. I am freaking out. is it possible that the application says notified even after the recommendation being submitted ?

I think it is possible. Keep calling Columbia - that's the only thing I can advise here. They must give you the answer.

Good luck!

...and I am pretty sure she is not too used to the online application system...

perhaps ask her to submit the letters using snail mail? this might cost you $ and cause her inconveniences, but if you fear that she might be challenged by the online system, this might be a better route to get the job done.

One of my letter writers had hit reply and attached the letter. CollegeNet, ApplyYourself, and Embark were correctly submitted, but for one of the school with their own application system, the reminder came from the department address and the link was further down within the email. I can see how it can be overlooked... especially when professors are so busy.

Edited by hello! :)

oooh they cced me the email

We would like to inform you that we have not received your recommendation letter for Neha Aggarwal applying to School of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University. We do have you on record and this is the email that we have. We can either send you another notification so that you can submit the recommendation online or you can email the recommendation letter to this email address. We do prefer that you submit the letter online, however, given the situation, we will accept the letter via email as well. If you would like another notification sent, please confirm that your email address. Please feel to contract us with any further questions that you may have.

oooh they cced me the email

We would like to inform you that we have not received your recommendation letter for Neha Aggarwal applying to School of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University. We do have you on record and this is the email that we have. We can either send you another notification so that you can submit the recommendation online or you can email the recommendation letter to this email address. We do prefer that you submit the letter online, however, given the situation, we will accept the letter via email as well. If you would like another notification sent, please confirm that your email address. Please feel to contract us with any further questions that you may have.

That's very nice of them. It's always pleasant to come across helpful and polite graduate coordinators :)